It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global food crisis: will we be eating rats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Twelve-year-old Beatrice returns from the fields with small animals she's caught for dinner.

Her mother, Elizabeth, prepares the meat and cooks it on a grill made of three stones supporting a wood fire. It's just enough food, she says, to feed her starving family of six.

Tonight, they dine on rats.

"Look what we've been reduced to eating?" she said. "How can my children eat rats in a country that used to export food? This is a tragedy." (Watch as Beatrice digs for rodents in the fields of Zimbabwe)

This is a story about how Zimbabwe, once dubbed southern Africa's bread basket, has in six short years become a basket case. It is about a country that once exported surplus food now apparently falling apart, with many residents scrounging for rodents to survive.

According to the CIA fact book, which profiles the countries of the world, the Zimbabwean economy is crashing -- inflation was at least 585 percent by the end of 2005 -- and the nation now must import food.

Zimbabwe's ambassador to United States, Machivenyika Mapuranga, told CNN on Tuesday that reports of people eating rats unfairly represented the situation, adding that at times while he grew up his family ate rodents.

"The eating of the field mice -- Zimbabweans do that. It is a delicacy," he said. "It is misleading to portray the eating of field mice as an act of desperation. It is not."

Western journalists aren't allowed in Zimbabwe. CNN gained access via a cameraman who operated under the radar of the Zimbabwean government. Mapuranga said that there are news agencies allowed to film there but that the country was "under siege" by media outlets like CNN and the BBC, "which have shown themselves to be hostile to the people of Zimbabwe."

The picture is disgusting. I would sooner commit theft, or suicide, before eating a rat.

Just a thought: could this happen here? Zimbabwe had a ~587% inflation. If WE have a 5-fold inflation, if a trip to the grocery store would cost $700, how would we live?

There is enough arable land on planet Earth to feed 12 billion people. The possibility of using food and oil shortages was also discussed at both the 2006 AND the 2007 Bilderberg.

Of course, the events in Zimbabwe are regional politics, but we are, indeed, seeing a global food crisis.blacklistednews.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

"The eating of the field mice -- Zimbabweans do that. It is a delicacy," he said. "It is misleading to portray the eating of field mice as an act of desperation. It is not."

That is truly priceless-- let them eat rats, they like it. I wonder if he eats rats/mice.. with it being a delicacy and all.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That's the problem with this world today! All these third world countries being way behind with other countries. There is so much land out there to till and so much land to farm, build shelters and green houses, run water pipes ( they can build a oil pipe line that runs from the middle east to America, but not a water line to the thirsty.
What the H@ll!! When will we stop watching these feed the children or buy them shoes tv shows and really fix the problem? We can go to the moon and spend millions to orbit our planet, but we can't fix starvation? It's a testament to human greed, power and the total disrespect for our own kind.

[edit on 4/28/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
That's the problem with this world today! All these third world countries being way behind with other countries.

[edit on 4/28/2008 by Solarskye]

The industrialization of the 3rd world is deliberately being halted by Bilderberg under the guise of environmentalism.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If you are hungry and desperate enough, you will eat just about anything. The idea of those squirrels, rabbits, and doves in your neighborhoods becoming table fare aren't out of the realm of possibility. I think things would have to get really bad here to take those measures, but keep them in mind because others will be thinking the same in such situations.

Even this past summer, people were sneaking into our garden at night and taking tomatoes. We were finding the ones they dropped up near the tree line and close to the sidewalk. We had plenty, so I guess it didn't matter all that much, but I think people are capable of things they never imagined when they are hungry or cold.

I also agree that the lending practices in past years to developing countries have put them in economic prisons. They have no way of paying back those debts to the western lenders, therefore they will never advance. The IMF, World Bank, Bilderberg, etc. they all have a hand in it I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about the rats too much. Historically speaking, when it comes to food shortages and famines, the eating of rats is among the least disturbing aspects of starvation.

Most people would be horrified if they knew just how common the practice of cannibalism is during periods of scarcity. In Europe(more specifically, Russia) there have been well-documented periods of mass cannibalism which have lasted for years at a time - so much so that during the Russian famines of the 1920's entire black markets for human flesh sprang into being. Cannibalism has also occurred many times in situations where ships were stranded at sea, and when people have become stuck in the wilderness without supplies...historically, the prevalence of these occurrences has been, and continues to be, greatly underreported due to survivors' obvious reluctance to discuss it after the fact.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Flatwoods]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
There is gonna be no food crisis do you own more then 100 feet of land you will be fine grow a garden and stop this fear mongering.

if food gets that scarce people will grow food in there houses instea dof house plants.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
There is gonna be no food crisis do you own more then 100 feet of land you will be fine grow a garden and stop this fear mongering.

if food gets that scarce people will grow food in there houses instea dof house plants.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

About time some sensible thinking.

top topics

join