It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Books for beginners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Can anyone recommend a survival book for beginners? Preferably one that explains how to do things as well as what to have on hand.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
There really as far as I know isn't one single book for beginners. There is a good document I host from the Canadian government that I find help full. just take the link in my signature and its the 4th ebook listed. there is also others there that you may find helpful. I am sure others will list there own favorite ebook sites to. hope this helps

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here you go my brother has it loves it, I haven't bought it yet but definately going to.

Out of ninety or more replies has an A' GRADE.

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea - John Lofty Wiseman; Paperback

[edit on 29-4-2008 by menguard]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You can also start here:

www.wilderness-survival.net...

Still one of my favorites.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Nice post, I've had this question on my mind for a week, and wanted some good recomendations from us ATS users.

Also AngryAmerican, I've checked out the site in your signature, and there is some really good stuff in there. Thanks

[edit on 29-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Good website. Thanks. It's now bookmarked.

FYI

Platypusses (Platypi ?) are nasty !

The male has a poisonous spur on each hind foot that can inflict intensely painful wounds. You find the platypus only in Australia, mainly along mud banks on waterways. But they are cute and fuzzy, no?

Good thing they are only in Oz. I wouldn't want to cross one on a trail in Canada.

I wonder who would win in a wolverine v. platypus fight?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

Glad you liked it.. I searched for a long time to find what I considered the most useful books. I have more to add but they will have to wate a couple weeks to get added.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Check out a book called "We Took to the Woods". Its not as much of a survival guide but it is a great read about packing up and heading for the woods just as the title articulates.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea - John Lofty Wiseman; Paperback

[edit on 29-4-2008 by menguard]

its a spectacular book. thats the book i read everytime i go to my local bookstore. i think it goes into good detail and covers a good amount of different situations.

heres a list of stuff a got a while back. its just a whole bunch of different places with survival info.

www.equipped.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The SAS Survival Guide that was mentioned is a good one.

Another is FM 21-76 the Army field manual on Survive, Evasion and Recovery.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I had both these books in my hand this afternoon. I just might go back and buy one.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I just downloaded a massive (.5 GB) folder with a couple dozen survivalist files, available here (megaupload)

Additionally Survival Topics
You Will Survive Doomsday (free text)

There are a lot of resources on this forum and over at NE Shooters' Survival Forum, bear in mind that these are hardcore 2nd Amendment people who treat the issue quite seriously.

Blog full of links: Survival Blog

[edit on 3-5-2008 by EtSolveMundi]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I cant believe I forgot Survival Topics its on of my favorites. thanks for including that.

As for the download ebooks file link only a few are worth it. so download the whole thing and then start deleting the trash.

join