It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP objects to bill allowing recounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

GOP objects to bill allowing recounts

www.politico.com

Voting rights activists who hoped the federal government would help local governments pay for paper trails and audits for electronic voting machines have gone from elation to frustration as they watched Republicans who supported such a proposal in committee vote against bringing it to the House floor.

The result: The elections in November will likely be marred by the same accusations of fraud and error involving voting machines that arose in the aftermath of the 2004 presidential race.

When New Jersey Democratic Rep. Rush Holt’s Emergency Assistance for Secure Elections Act came up for a vote in the House Administration Committee on April 2, the Republicans on the committee gave it their unanimous support. But two weeks later, those same Republican members voted against moving the bill to the House floor. It would have taken a two-thirds vote to push the bill to the floor; with most House Republicans opposed, the bill didn’t make it that far.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The article goes on to say that the house GOP switiched to opposing the bill after the White House voiced its opposition citing funding concerns.... claiming that monies for it could come from the Help America Vote act.

It stinks to high heaven, no matter how you cut it.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I disagree 100% with your position here. Why should federal dollars be used to fund recounts when the actual act of voting in the election is a purely state issue? I don't believe any federal funds should be used for elections whatsoever, in fact. Furthermore, it seems that 90% of these recounts devolve into nothing more than the democrat candidate, having lost the election, refusing to accept the idea that the majority of a state's voters didn't vote for them and essentially throwing a tantrum demanding countless do-overs in the vote tally, each with progressively more liberal and lax definitions of what actually constitutes a cast vote, until they have stolen the election or the representatives of the people come to their senses and say "Enough!" We observed that very fiasco in the state of Florida a mere 8 years ago and it was a gross misuse of the system by Al Gore.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

If the tally of votes cannot be independently audited and verified then why should people just accept it?
Given the track record of the last few years, all the dirty tricks, missing ballots, voting machine problems and result anomalies, wouldn't it be prudent to have a full and accountable audit? After all, the people are being asked to foot the bill for whatever the incoming leader / government wants to do so should at least be satisfied that their vote has counted.

Of course, the whole democracy system is a farce anyway - but that's another thread entirely

It's the not the vote that counts but who counts the votes!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

We observed that very fiasco in the state of Florida a mere 8 years ago and it was a gross misuse of the system by Al Gore.

The fiasco in Florida was Katherine Harris being Bush's Florida campaign manager and Florida Secretary of State. She certified the election when a mandatory recount was mandated by the margin. Can you say, "Conflict of interest?" She was rewarded with a seat in Congress by the Florida GOP machine, and almost bought her way into the Senate. Enough good people of conscience caught onto the act, and her Senate campaign was pretty much laughed off the ballot.

I haven't even mentioned the complicity of the US Supreme Court in siding with Harris and the GOP to stop the Florida recount. Justice Scalia, appointed by Reagan while Bush Senior was VP, cast the deciding vote and wrote the majority opinion. What a farce! Checks and balances, and recount provisions are a vital one, used to form the backbone of a responsible federal government. They are all but gone today.

I see no reason why there shouldn't be federal funding for recounts during national elections. Except of course, the desire to subvert the political process in the United States and steal elections.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Because we are talking about federal elections here.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Even so, the federal elections are carried out at the state level. These same elections where you may be voting for POTUS, you can also be voting for your local and state representatives and other elected officials. It isn't strictly a national ballot.

Once you open the floodgates for federal funding for voting, you'll have every Tom, Dick and Harry across the nation demanding recounts because they didn't win their local mayors position.

This is just another example of Democrats searching for ways to install more and more government institutions that we don't need. If they end up with their way, we'll have federally funded programs that help people wipe their tushes in the bathroom.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

The result: The elections in November will likely be marred by the same accusations of fraud and error involving voting machines that arose in the aftermath of the 2004 presidential race.

What a joke. Eight years after the heavily disputed Florida debacle and the most powerful country in the world still can't reform and modernize it's election process!

I live in Washington State and there was a huge dispute in the 2004 gubernatorial election. First they declared Republican Dino Rossi the winner, but after two recounts it was given to Democratic nominee Christine Gregoire. Now before someone starts in on how whiney libs are, I'm not trying to make this a partisan issue.

The State failed to mail military ballots overseas. Ballots from six counties were found after the initial count and were included in the recount. Hundreds of votes came from felons, deceased voters, and double voters. Let's face that facts! The election process is a joke

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

And I am sure if it was a Republican demanding recounts you would be all for it.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Thanks for that memory line walk, it seems that some people still forgot how Bush won the elections in 2000, thanks to Ms. Harris and the Supreme court.

She got to move to Capitol hill for pay off.

I am for the bill, this country is slowly losing the base of what our forefathers built this nation to be.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
And I am sure if it was a Republican demanding recounts you would be all for it.

And I am sure you are dead wrong my friend.

This is not a partisan issue by any stretch of the imagination. My issue with this is that I don't believe something like this should be federally funded. If certain states want to take this up as something to consider, then we'll talk.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There is a problem with the voting system in this country precisely because the 'common citizen' can, via numerous information channels 'outside' of the MSM confirm abuses have taken place. Any effort to create transparent oversight of voting will be fought tooth and nail every step of the way.

The Political party regime on this country is not interested in who the people want to elect. In fact, the electoral college is STILL a virtual unknown to huge cross sections of voters in this country.

The problem isn't that voters are committing 'fraud' as the convenient propaganda meme has been force-fed down our throats. 'Voter Fraud' completely misdirects the casual observer in thinking that there are hordes of felons and dead people cheating the system. Nonsense! It's the political machinery that both perpetrates the fraud and covers it up (thank you 'free' press for being our 'watchdog'). What kind of moronic attitude is it that points to the voters as defrauding themselves?

I hate to wax frenetic but the truth is - the system should be audited by who ever the hell the people decide, not by the politico's and their appointed pals. Damn the cost! Buy one less B1 bomber!

Are we so completely brainwashed as to think that we can 'trust' these people to conduct a national election on the up-and-up? Start reading history, pay attention to the gigantic military industries trying to gain control of our vote-counting technology, look at the media's utter prostitution to the government.

Virtually every government action taken in regards to voting in this country seems geared to 'insert' some 'appointee' to control the process, or some 'corporation' to execute the 'trust' assurance part of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I have to say that you are wrong... it is because each state has its own policies and requirements for voting that it is such a mess as it is. Yes each state is responsible for the voting in it but that does not mean that there shouldn't be uniform standards (that are enforced) to go by.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I still don't think you understand where I'm coming from here. My problem is with adding another government funded institution.

I have no problem if a system like this were to be set up to monitor voting and handle recounts. I don't however believe that it should be the responsibility of the federal government to fund it. Somehow I think giving the national government more and more power over the voting process is a step in the wrong direction. I also don't think we need any more government programs than we already have.

Creating uniform standards is all well and good, but let the states themselves pay for that. After all, not every state is going to to need to recount or re vote.

new topics

top topics

join