It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices Rise, Send NYC Food Bank Into Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Food Prices Rise, Send NYC Food Bank Into Crisis

wcbstv.com

NEW YORK (AP) ― Rising food prices taking a toll on a charity that feeds about 1.3 million New Yorkers.

The Food Bank of New York City reports the number of hungry people relying on the charity has risen by 24 percent in a year as the cost of bread, milk and eggs have skyrocketed. U.S. Department of Agriculture figures show eggs cost 25 percent more now than they did a year ago. Milk and other dairy products jumped 13 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.theaustralian.news.com.au
www.jacksonville.com
www.latimes.com

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here it comes people. A wave of hunger that has not been seen since the Great Depression, and will likely be far worse in my opinion.

I personally am suffering from the shortages at food banks, having to rely on their meager offerings since late last year. The quality and quantity have dwindled noticeably.

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well, I guess there isn't too much controversey over this story then. I keep hearing people say "oh it's not that bad" but when they see something like this, they don't want to touch it.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Just makes me think... People keep going on about the hunger and poverty going on in countries. And Bush feeling justified to pull 200million more from the deficite to send to poor countries... Why can we not look to our own first? How the hell can we justify sending "aide" to other countries, when we have suffering here? Hungry people. Families. Children.

Yes, I am selfish in this case. I think that the US taxpayers' taxes should stay here. I don't see a huge surplus funding, and a lack of hungry people here these days.

I, too, know people who rely on such services at the end of the month, to make ends meet. You know, like someone before posted, about $3/day food stamps just not going too far.

The man who just lost his job, about to lose his home, and still having children to feed... Seeing Bush sending huge amounts of funding overseas. Funding that just adds to the deficite, when he has paid into the American tax system all his life.

Third-World America, here we come.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Remember when the IMF and the World Bank forgave the debt of third-world nations? Didn't really understand what that meant did you. Who was going to pay that debt?

The answer is, ever single American who pulls up to a gas pump. And of course that is all on top of the direct aide we give to these other countries.

And then they dare to make us feel guilty putting commercials on television telling is little Lupe needs your help in Guatemala, and for the price of a cup of coffee you can help.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

And then they dare to make us feel guilty putting commercials on television telling is little Lupe needs your help in Guatemala, and for the price of a cup of coffee you can help.

Someone else said it best really, about the "aide" we give... If we stopped, they would have to figure out how to feed their populations themselves, instead of genocide. But corruption will always be the determining point to every action.

And yeah, those Feed The Children commercials. They make you sick. They guilt trip over something we did not cause, over something we can do nothing about.

But you know, the VISA commercials. Everything is 'Priceless'. Just put it on your tab. We can Feed The CORRUPTION in other countries, just pay it later..

We are not responsible for the rest of those countries. Each one of them with millions starving have very happy, rich people at the top who choose to let it happen so they can guilt trip the fat, wealthy Americans and get more rich.
Rant, rant, rant.

btw, I've been following your Codex Ailmentarius and other threads. Keep bringing attention to these issues if you can. Maybe, eventually, they will start to hit closer to home for people, and they will take them seriously. As an individual, everyone around us asleep to what is really going on, not much can be done.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

But you know, the VISA commercials. Everything is 'Priceless'. Just put it on your tab. We can Feed The CORRUPTION in other countries, just pay it later..

Actually, that's MasterCard I think. But shame on me if I'm right.

That's the most evil advertising campaign I've heard in a long time. If you haven't seen it alrady, I liked the ATS premium video "In Debt We Trust."

We are not responsible for the rest of those countries. Each one of them with millions starving have very happy, rich people at the top who choose to let it happen so they can guilt trip the fat, wealthy Americans and get more rich.

Take Mexico for example. Enormously wealthy, particularly in oil.

Thanks for following my threads.
Glad to see it's not all going to waste. And at least I know there are a few of us freedom loving human people out there.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Notice the news stations are even telling you to stock up food . I believe the powers that be are creating this crisis where there is none. Make people panic and create one.

Ama

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

There certainly is a crisis, I am going hungry already. It's on it's way to you next. The sad part is that the crisis is being deliberately manufactured. The shortage of food isn't happening on the supply end.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Whichever credit card has whatever advertising slogan, they all accomplish the same thing.

I think I did see a little of "In Debt We Trust". Looked good, just ran out of time at the moment!

Well, ya notice when stuff like this is posted... Those people who brag about their personal financial situation, and how stable and strong the US economy is, are nowhere to be found? I swear, there is an influx of people here who cannot see beyond their new cars, large salaries, and consider that maybe Bush is wrong about the economy. LOL

*Rant.end*

Keep it up. I can't be the only one watching, and concerned.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Well, ya notice when stuff like this is posted... Those people who brag about their personal financial situation, and how stable and strong the US economy is, are nowhere to be found? I swear, there is an influx of people here who cannot see beyond their new cars, large salaries, and consider that maybe Bush is wrong about the economy.

That needed to be posted again since I couldn't give you two stars.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I Agree. We feel it too. Im saying the same thing you are. Its being created on purpose is all I am saying.

Ama

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Well. I personally don't know anyone who isn't being affected. When it comes to my family, I provide for the little one and the dog first. I like to think the adults in the household can stand to lose a few and go without til payday. Sometimes it sucks. But the human body can go for quite some time without food.

The water here is nasty, but at least it is still free.
You are not alone.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Sorry, misread, getting punchy here...

[edit on 4/29/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Starred and flagged-Great thread Jack.

And yep--The folks who were pipin' in about how things aren't so bad here seem to be quiet on things like this. This is beyond serious. The only people who will not be affected by it are the 1% who own 40% of all the wealth.

Prices in my area have shot through the roof. I can't buy nearly as much as I used to with the same amount of money. Couple that with the vertical take-off in gas prices, and things are getting outright scary.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Wait... 1.3 MILLION people use the food bank in New York?!

Is that for real?

That's an incredible amount of financially ruined people!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Ah, do I hear a wake up call?

Did you know that one in eight Americans lives below the poverty line? That means that someone like myself is surviving on less than ten thousand dollars a year, yet I still have to pay income tax.

By the way, ten grand doesn't even pay the rent here.

[edit on 4/29/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have posted this video elsewhere, but here is an eyeopener about poverty. Also, keep in mind that I earned twice what the official poverty line is last year, and still wound up homeless...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yeah the local food banks and soup lines are growing because of demand for the services and the people that are going are working people who cant afford to pay rent, gas, food, electricity and everything else ....its sad and I only see it getting worse..

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thank you for the video. It is sad to know that there are families much less fortunate than most of us here.

Apparently, it is a lot easier to make the poverty line than I thought. Bet I am not alone.

EDIT btw, U2U sent.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by LostNemesis]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join