It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What holds value in a worldwide depression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I am not saying I believe this is likely to happen. But let's assume that oil prices keep going up sky high, food shortages continue, the value of the dollar plummets, Iran attacks Israel and all of a sudden we're in a regional if not global war, and then the U.S. goes into another great depression. Everyone's out of work, riots occur occasionally, bankruptcies and foreclosures like crazy, etc.

In at time like that, what would be a good thing to have? In other words, what could I buy and hold onto NOW that would help protect me and my family THEN. By protect, I mean what would help us through that time. What could we buy now and be able to sell then in order keep food on the table and keep us from going to the poor house?

Gold? Silver? Guns?

I know a lot of people would say food or oil. But I can only stockpile so much food and I don't have a place to store lots of oil. So I am looking for things I could save up that don't take up too much room.

I was thinking Kruggerands or 1 oz. gold bars. Also thinking guns would be handy for both barter as well as personal safety.

Any ideas???

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Food and Water will be the best for bartering. But better make sure you can protect what you have.

Instead of stockpiling water Im opting for filtration devices. Easier to store and move in an emergency. As for the food the nessecary staples will be worth the most but you also have to think of you and yours before you start worrying about "What holds value".

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Water, food, medicine, skills, bullets and women.

In that order.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Let me ask you this:

Can you eat gold? Can you drink it? If you barter with it can someone else eat or drink it? Can you shoot it to protect yourself?

What angers me is the whole "buy gold" crowd in terms of survival and peak oil. That crowd is just trying to make a buck.

In a future where things settle down enough that people can get together and trade in a marketplace; then great buy and sell gold.

But for the first 5 years minimum of an all-out Peak Oil crisis with civil unrest and global war, famine and crime unlike anything we have ever seen...gold and silver are worthless.

Here are the ten most important things to have:

1. Knowledge
2. Space (minimum 200 miles from a metro area)
3. Guns of common caliber (trading bullets will be worth more than gold)
4. Source of clean water in your space
5. Source if selfsubstaining food in your space
6. Energy (i.e. wood, coal, or even platns to burn in your space)
7. Building supplies (even mud and twigs in your space)
8. Willingness to be communial when the time comes
9. A wind-up or battery powered AM radio
10. Patience and faith.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link