It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Justice' Scalia: Does Torture Violate 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment' Provision? 'No.'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

'Justice' Scalia: Does Torture Violate 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment' Provision? 'No.'

thinkprogress.org

Last night, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia granted his first broad-based television interview, to Lesley Stahl on CBS’s 60 Minutes. There he explained that the torture of detainees does not violate the 8th Amendment’s ban on “cruel and unusual punishment” because, according to Scalia, torture is not used as punishment:

STAHL: If someone’s in custody, as in Abu Ghraib, and they are brutalized, by a law enforcement person — if you listen to the expression “cruel and unusual punishment,” doesn’t that apply?

SCALIA: No. To the contrary. You think — Has anybody ever referred to torture as punishment? I don’t think so.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Again...And I sound like a broken record as of late...Herein lies our biggest problem as a country right now:

Not only do we have the most crooked and criminalistic officials running (or ruining) our country, but they have stacked the "Justice" system with cronies of theirs that are every bit as morally bankrupt and criminalistic as they are...This is beyond sickening. We need to have this man hauled up along with this crooked admin on war crimes charges in an international court system where they can't piss all over international law like they do here...

STAHL: Well I think if you’re in custody, and you have a policeman who’s taken you into custody–

SCALIA: And you say he’s punishing you? What’s he punishing you for? … When he’s hurting you in order to get information from you, you wouldn’t say he’s punishing you. What is he punishing you for?

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
OMG! I just watched the vid... someone needs to torture that smile off his face at the end. What a worthless piece of garbage.

His 'arguement' of torture vs. punishment tactic is one that reminds me of tactics used by a child. Lawyers, Judges, Lawmakers... it would be nice if they were all removed from this Earth at once.

new topics

join