It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraqi teenage girl killed for loving a British soldier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The Iraqi teenage girl killed for loving a British soldier

www.guardian.co.uk

A 17-year-old Iraqi girl has been murdered by her father in an 'honour killing' after falling in love with a British soldier in Basra, The Observer can reveal.

Rand Abdel-Qader was killed after her family discovered she had formed a friendship with a 22-year-old infantryman she knew as Paul. Rand, who met the soldier while working on an aid project for displaced families, was suffocated by her father and then hacked at with a knife. All the time he was calling out that his honour was being cleansed, said Rand's mother.

The father was arrested, held for two hours, then released without charge. 'Not much can be done when we have an "honour killing",' said Sgt Ali Jabbar of Basra police. 'You are in a Muslim society and women should live under religious laws.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well without the british being over there, this couldnt have happened.

But its not just the war though.

The combined stupidity and of two evils - the war and the father - ensured that this girl lost her life.

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This absolutley disgusts me and I wonder if the brittish soldier had any clue how she felt or how he is taking this...

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just another example of how radically different that culture is from our own. Yet there we are, policing their streets, hoping to change their mindset in a few short years.

We should of stayed out of that country or bombed them until they cried uncle. Those are the only two realistic options. The third option, which we have adopted, is garbage.

Support the troops, question government think tanks..

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Scramjet76]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Agreed, the story totally shocked me but this sort of thing happens daily in the middle east, it is just we hear about it on this occasion because of the Englishman connection.

According to my ethics, this is so, so, wrong, *but who knows maybe he will go to heaven for this cleansing*[end sarcasm].

Yuk! indeed.

Regards civilized humanity S_G

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well we now have an answer for Abu Gharib and the war, they are all honor killings. That now makes it all right according to muslims. What a sick society. Better for us to leave them to there own way of doing things and get US troops out of harms way. Any society that finds this murder acceptable does not deserve any help.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How sad for this poor young girl. But it's true, who are we to police a culture so different from our own? There will never possibly be any understanding.

And I truly believe that to remove Hitler, was a horrible horrible mistake. Seems he was the only one who understood his people, and could keep them under control... And the means necessary to do it. We will never agree with every culture in the world, but policing other countries and stupid wars like this are doing us a lot of harm. I really think that the cost of these wars will turn the US into something horrible. But since when did the US government care about what conditions WE live in? It is all about providing help in other countries, and keeping the Military Indistrial Complex going, robbing working class families to do it.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow, so "justice" in the Islam world is not only blind, but also deaf, dumb, and retarded?

I feel so bad for that poor girl, and even worse for all the women forced/brainwashed to live under those conditions, because if they knew any different do you really think they would choose that life?

Religion of peace, my butt! More like the religion of "men get to do whatever they want to women with no consequences, but women get completely s--- on!"

We need to get the f--- out of that part of the world and leave them the hell alone. If our leaders think that the Middle East is going to be turned into Middle America, then I want some of THOSE drugs!

[edit on 28-4-2008 by keeb333]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just more proof that religion has kept us a primitive civilization and we'll never reach our potential.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari

The combined stupidity and of two evils - the war and the father - ensured that this girl lost her life.

www.guardian.co.uk

You're kidding right? I sure hope so, because if it hadn't been a British soldier, it could have been a native boy she got caught "kissing" and she still would have been killed for the "Father's honor." Smothered, hacked to death, burned alive, stoned, or beaten....this is outrageous in ANY culture.

They wouldn't even butcher livestock like this so how do these "cultures" justify doing things like this to their women and children? At least when this happens in Western cultures the perpetrators are arrested, punished and labeled "murderer's" and not revered, worshiped and applauded for their barbaric actions.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
iraq should be bombed into history..these people are so stupid they think killing each other is a good thing.....

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Just more proof that religion has kept us a primitive civilization and we'll never reach our potential.

I agree whole heartedly.

We've seen this in every religion throughout history and it's not going to stop any time soon.

Truly sick and I don't really have anything else to say on the matter other than I hope this twisted man gets whats coming to him.

Originally posted by fatdad
iraq should be bombed into history..these people are so stupid they think killing each other is a good thing.....

It's this kind of ignorance that drove me away from ATS for so long. They are not stupid, nor are they any different from you and I. They have simply grew up in an environment that is very different to our own.

Don't group an entire nation because of the actions of a few psychotic individuals.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Zanzibar]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is so heartbreaking. It saddens me and angers me that in this day and age, it is religion and culture that can still keep 2 people who love each other apart. We can not help who we fall in love with and its horrible that this father was completely unable to comprehend that
My heart goes out to that British Soldier

[edit on 28-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari

www.guardian.co.uk

Yeah the honor killing is simply because the Brits are there.

You have got to be kidding me! If she were shia and had feelings for a sunni her daddy would have killed her and called it an honor killing.

Here educate yourself on honor killings:

www.gendercide.org...

Summary

"Honour" killings of women can be defined as acts of murder in which "a woman is killed for her actual or perceived immoral behavior." (Yasmeen Hassan, "The Fate of Pakistani Women," International Herald Tribune, May 25, 1999.) Such "immoral behavior" may take the form of marital infidelity, refusing to submit to an arranged marriage, demanding a divorce, flirting with or receiving phone calls from men, failing to serve a meal on time, or -- grotesquely -- "allowing herself" to be raped. In the Turkish province of Sanliurfa, one young woman's "throat was slit in the town square because a love ballad was dedicated to her over the radio." (Pelin Turgut, "'Honour' Killings Still Plague Turkish Province," The Toronto Star, May 14, 1998.)

Most "honour" killings of women occur in Muslim countries, the focus of this case study; but it is worth noting that no sanction for such murders is granted in Islamic religion or law. And the phenomenon is in any case a global one. According to Stephanie Nebehay, such killings "have been reported in Bangladesh, Britain, Brazil, Ecuador, Egypt, India, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Pakistan, Morocco, Sweden, Turkey and Uganda." Afghanistan, where the practice is condoned under the rule of the fundamentalist Taliban movement, can be added to the list, along with Iraq and Iran. (Nebehay, "'Honor Killings' of Women Said on Rise Worldwide," Reuters dispatch, April 7, 2000.)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Is the guy drinking and sad over beer now or
hav another galfriend?
I'm interested to know the procedures for marrying Iraqis for such government ppl
How IraqiAmerican children, which citizen will they be?
Will there be any memorial for Iraq conflict?

[edit on 28-4-2008 by SnowWhite]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnowWhite
Is the guy drinking and sad over beer now or
hav another galfriend?

Seriously? That is your lame contribution to this matter??

TROLL MUCH?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Attari

In all realism, the soldier should not have been involved with the girl in the first place. She was 17 years old, not even old enough to be in a relationship back home, let alone with a foreign soldier.

The soldier was being irresponsible in the first place. He could have prevented this death from happening.

Poor girl, she didn't deserve to die over this...

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad

Do you think killing them ALL by bombing them in to history would be a good thing then?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
No, i'm not trolling.
What's wrong?
Perhaps they were planning to get married.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I will say this, that from what I know, American troops are NOT allowed to "fratenize" with the girls there...so something like would this not happen.

I know of more then 1 person that met and fell in love with a local and got in big time trouble.

Yes it is sad, because again, you can not help who you fall in love with. However, there is a reason for these rules (by the American military) and this story is one of the reasons why.

Id be interested to hear what the British military's rules are on this.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join