It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"While I’m a believer, I don’t think religious folks have a monopoly on morality."--B. Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Quote from Barack Obama (danieldl.info...)

“ While I’m a believer, I don’t think religious folks have a monopoly on morality. ”

Religion & Politics don't work well together. Barack Obama probably knows that by now. Anyway, do any of you think there is a human or man-made religion that has a monopoly on anything (especially morality)?

Barack Obama says Christian right has hijacked faith

www.YouDecide2008.com... - Barack Obama spoke before the United Church of Christ saying that the Christian right has hijacked faith and is driving people apart.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by AnonymousHippo]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousHippo

I think most religions think they have a monopoly on morality. I've seen it here in this very forum. I give Obama a huge thumbs up for this statement! Probably the best thing I've heard said by a politician in quite some time.

And the reality is that he's right. No religion has a monopoly on morality. It would be a nice change of pace to have a President who thinks like that, though I can't say I'm necessarily going to vote for him.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There is no single religion that has a monopoly on anything. In every religion there are a mixture of those that are truly moral and faithful, those who are members only due to social pressure, those that use it for their own personal gains, and those that use it to spread hate.

Though, I suppose you could argue that Christianity has a monopoly on televised services and fund raising through such broadcasts in the United States.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Christianity certainly has a monopoly on power within the US. Look at the dialogue of American politics, faith is thrown around relentlessly as a qualifier for elected office. If you're an atheist or Muslim good luck getting elected...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Not sure if I can say monopoly, but the problem with many religions is that think their view on morality is correct and that their view should be the only accepted view.

new topics

top topics

join