It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have we done this one yet? Nasa picture-something moving in the cloud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The links to the photos here all have either a disk or ball of light as the source of the waves. It reminds me of magnetic pulse waves.

Can we do better like using winged reptilians that fly and stuff like that?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The links to the photos here all have either a disk or ball of light as the source of the waves. It reminds me of magnetic pulse waves.

Can we do better like using winged reptilians that fly and stuff like that?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Personally i wouldnt trust that site. Here it tells and shows a sat pictures of USAF flying around Katrina to whip it into a frenzy and therefore blaming bush for the devastation caused by Katrina

Bush i blame for a lot of things but playing god is not one of them although he may believe he is

www.ecoenquirer.com...

[edit on 28-4-2008 by thesaint]

starred, was gonna post the exact same thing. These images are obviously manipulated.

The article says the image analyser himself drew black lines on the photo.

The picture of the jets is just laughable.

Good find OP, but I don't think the site is credible at all.

However,

Looking at this "wave cloud" picture on wiki, I wonder why or who decided to color in the island only, in a black and white satellite image?

upload.wikimedia.org...

seems very odd to me, why tamper with the photo?

I'd like to see the original. with the actual black and white island. Is this inserted cartoon like island covering up something? Looks extremely fake, kinda like the jets circling around Katrina.

Either that or they just wanted to enhance the island , don't know why when that's not what the focus of the picture is of. OP you may actually be on to something here.

I'm not too sure now these "wave cloud" satellite images are a natural phenomena. I mean I'm pretty sure they are, but not 100%.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Nola213]

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
And for any that didnt read the source's disclaimer:

www.ecoenquirer.com...

DISCLAIMER
All content on this site, being a mixture of parody, satire, and lame humor, is for entertainment purposes only. If any content is found to be offensive or objectionable in any way, please accept our apologies... but we also suggest that you get a life.

Still, I knew not to trust to source when I saw the headlines.

More Polar Bears Suffering Heat Exhaustion
Vatican Sued Over Katrina
Court Orders Fisherman to Apologize to Eagle

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Could it be mountain peaks, disturbing the jet stream?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I dunno but those photos showing these 'wave clouds' do appear closely related to HAARP activities. I've done ye ole 'wiki' search under 'HAARP clouds' and (as expected) I couldn't find any photos connecting 'wave clouds' with HAARP activities.

And as for the photos with those strange ‘wakes’ left behind in those ‘wave clouds’, I am wondering if indeed UFO related phenomenon may arise from such HAARP activities. I dunno 'what to think' anymore.

[edit on 2008-4-28 by pikypiky]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
While a graduate student at the University of Hawai'i we would see similar satellite images all the time (notably streaming from Guadalupe Island - for whereabouts, look on Wikipedia), particularly off of the West equatorial coastal islands and in that vicinity and just northward. These are call von Karman vortices or "von Karman vortex streets" after Thomas von Karman (again - there is a huge amount of info on this phenomenon ranging from Wikipedia, to Meteorology websites, to NASA websites). Strictly speaking the von Karman vortices are the swirls (which are downstream from the low-level flow).

The other lines are another phenomenon called "wave clouds". These are standing gravity waves created in specific atmospheric conditions.

Both gravity waves (the so-called "wave clouds") and the vortices (the swirls downstream from the flow of wind past the island, also called von Karman waves) can coexist for specific Reynolds numbers (which is hard to explain to the non-meteorologist, but here goes...) The Reynolds number is the ratio of "Inertial Forces" (how much the fluid "wants" to avoid changes in direction) to "Viscous Forces" (how much a fluid "wants" to avoid being deformed). When the Reynolds number is low, laminar flow occurs (laminar flow is smooth flow, such as creates lenticular clouds). High Reynolds numbers result in turbulent flow. Somewhere in between you can get beautiful formations such as the one seen in the OPs original photo.

As to why the island was highlighted in the image, my guess is one of two things: Either someone mistook it for a UFO and wanted to sensationalize on that or, more likely, the image was taken from a site wherein the original poster at that site wanted to point out that an island (not an aircraft, as is claimed) was the cause of the formations being seen.

Woody

For the interested, here are search words/phrases to look up:

1) vortex cloud street
2) von Karman vortices
3) von Karman cloud streets
4) wave clouds
5) gravity wave
6) Reynolds number
7) laminar flow
8) turbulent flow
9) critical Reynolds number

P.S. While a critic (or at least a skeptic) of H.A.A.R.P., I've been seeing these since long before H.A.A.R.P. was around...

[edit on 28-4-2008 by WoodyAcres]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Excellent links SystemiK and in particular this one:
en.wikipedia.org...

I can't help but to notice the photos this wiki author chose for displaying wave clouds! Wave clouds formations begin near weird places often? Anyone ever connected this phenomenon with places that display magnetic anomalies on earths crust? (usually being sacred places, paranormal activities, UFOs etc)
Could natural Electromagnetism play a role in the appearance of wave clouds perhaps?

reply to post by WoodyAcres

WoodyAcres you refer to "gravity waves" as in mathematical fluid mechanics gravity waves right? Like as being described here for ex: www.springerlink.com...

[edit on 28-4-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

Precisely correct. Gravity waves occur in any fluid, and the atmosphere is a fluid, albeit a gaseous fluid.

Edit: Additional clarification.

However, the gravity waves referred to in the link you posted are standing gravity waves and not generic gravity waves which may or may not be dispersive (resulting in a different dynamic). To be sure, it should be stated that lenticular clouds and "wave clouds" are, in fact, examples of standing waves as is the wave cloud train shown in the OPs linked image.

I should have perhaps been more clear on this - namely that lenticular clouds and "wave clouds" (sometimes "wave clouds" and "wake clouds" are used interchangeably - although they do look differently and to use a term such as "Kelvin Wake" clouds is, I believe, misleading - more on that later) are all manifestations of gravity waves; however, these are both special types of gravity waves (actually - the lenticular clouds and "wave clouds" are one and the same - a single stationary gravity wave-induced cloud is called a lenticular cloud, while we commonly refer to a string of them as a "wave cloud"). In simple terms, this means that the waves are stationary (or appear so). This is why a lenticular cloud will hover over a mountain peak for a very long time indeed. In fact, if we had a series of images my guess is that we would see the "wave clouds" standing still while the von Karman vortices would be spiraling out from the island(s).

Also - given a longer glance at the OPs photo, there is actually a lot going on in there - at least three distinct types of wave phenomenon, possibly more. This is no surprise and not in and of itself odd, but it is very interesting from a meteorological perspective.

As far as the connection between cloud formation and electromagnetics - yes; but not in the case of gravity clouds of any of these types. These are all simply manifestations of gravity and buoyancy (essentially). So that (in my opinion) is a dead end road for this topic. However, there is much to be said about EM and tornados, thunderstorms, strange lightning effects (sprites, etc.) and possibly hurricanes. I am one who looks at a lot of raw satellite imagery and thus am quite used to seeing these phenomenon and some things that I believe defy traditional explanation.

As an aside, there are also gravity waves which are non-stationary - one such great example is in this video from YouTube:

www.youtube.com...

(Sorry - Haven't figured out how to post YouTube clips yet...)

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the original thread in which the OPs photo was first discussed:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I emphatically disagree with the assessment that these waves are "Atmospheric Kelvin Wakes" as claimed by eaglewingz (although he/she simply took that description from the link www.lpi.usra.edu... so no responsibility is levied upon that poster). Atmospheric Kelvin Waves do indeed exist, but they are another beast entirely.

(Edit: Clarity with types of gravity waves.)

[edit on 29-4-2008 by WoodyAcres]

[edit on 29-4-2008 by WoodyAcres]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WoodyAcres

Thanks very much for the info!

Interesting is the blending of physics, meteorology and mathematical science! Nice keywords for researching further this topic.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join