It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Investigates: Floodwalls stuffed with newspaper?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

4 Investigates: Floodwalls stuffed with newspaper?

www.wwltv.com

“It blows my mind.”

Video: Watch the Story Those are the words St. Bernard parish president Craig Taffaro used to watch videotape Eyewitness News showed him, of floodwalls built to protect his parish.

“That should be criminal,” Taffaro continues.

What he's talking about was witnessed by a St. Bernard Parish resident who didn't want to be identified, but did have sharp criticism of the work done by a contractor hired by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

“It's like putting a Band-Aid on the hole of a gas tank of an airplane,” the resident said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.worldnetdaily.com

Moderator Edit
>Please read>> *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[color=#EEB4B4]* Please note that there is a [color=#FFE7BA]character limit of 500 characters [color=#EEB4B4]for the copied story snippet.

[color=#EEEEE0]Exceeding this character limit may result in drastic editing or your thread will be closed, moved or deleted.

[font=Arial Black][color=#CD5555]--khunmoon--
member&mod[/font]

[edit on 28/4/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? They are using newspaper as a component of the joints in their new floodwalls? I cant imagine this is going to go over too well with the residents of Louisanna. Considering the ridiculous mistakes made in response to Katrina, this is a terrible slap in the face to people who deserve much, much better.

Unbelievable.

www.wwltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
What's amazing (or maybe not) is how the Army core of Engineers defends the contractor who used newspaper.

According to the article the newspaper is supposed to displace a cavity in order to keep foreign objects out and has no other purpose. Apparently according to the Core it will fulfill that purpose for a short period of time - theres no doubt time & weather will deteriorate the paper.

Maybe the contractors are the same terrorist that blew up the levees when Katrina hit the first time.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I mentioned in a post related to 9/11 that construction workers do this on a regular basis, whether they are instructed to or not. It is common practice to fill walls with newspaper, or paper cups, trash, cans, whatever is available on the job site, then fill the remainder of the wall with concrete. They do it because it speeds up the job, with no regard to the stability of the wall or whatever they are working on. I personally witnessed this practice on several buildings I worked at, including schools, shopping centers, chuches, where the walls are meant to be fire safe, or capable of containing a fire, filled with concrete, and what is really inside those cinder blocks is flamable material. Wrong, but it is common.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

With this kind of shoddy workmanship, is it any wonder why the US is mainly 'service industry' based now?

Can't buy American... can't buy Chinese... screw 'em all... don't buy anything ya' don't need. Food and gas... that's about all I'm buying anymore... and when my clothes wear out, I'll just go naked

See what kind of 'hell' all these slackers will bring on?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Moderator Edit
>Please read>> *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[color=#EEB4B4]* Please note that there is a [color=#FFE7BA]character limit of 500 characters [color=#EEB4B4]for the copied story snippet.

[color=#EEEEE0]Exceeding this character limit may result in drastic editing or your thread will be closed, moved or deleted.

[font=Arial Black][color=#CD5555]--khunmoon--
member&mod[/font]

Sorry about that, I was thinking when I grabbed the quote that the character counter in the submission field would automatically cull any characters over 500. I'll be more careful in the future - SK

[edit on 28/4/2008 by khunmoon]

[edit on 28-4-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
reply to post by space cadet

With this kind of shoddy workmanship, is it any wonder why the US is mainly 'service industry' based now?

Can't buy American... can't buy Chinese... screw 'em all... don't buy anything ya' don't need. Food and gas... that's about all I'm buying anymore... and when my clothes wear out, I'll just go naked

See what kind of 'hell' all these slackers will bring on?

You are right,but I think our problem here in this country is greed.The attitude of money first and everything else second has become the new motto of this country.There is no workmanship anymore.The baby boomers who have made it to power have left us with a virtual toilet of a country.Thanks
(SPIT)!
This type of workmanship is still happening in New Orleans with crooked contractors hired by other crooked contractors hired by the crooked or very dumb.....um yes very dumb Homeland Security department(aka:FEMA).

[edit on 28-4-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
First: It's the Army Corps of Engineers, not "core."

Second: Few things are more frustrating to an engineer than watching a project built half-assed and then excused by government representatives all thanks to cost cutting and CYA moves. I'd love to know what P.E. whored his stamp out to approve this design change.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This isn't an engineer approved modification. It is commonly referred to as a field modification.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

"Field modification" sounds so much more legitimate and safe than "substitute shredded newspaper for specified rubber seal". I can see why they prefer the use of that term.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You'd still have a field engineer that would have to sign off on the modification. Otherwise the contractor firm has placed themselves as the sole responsible party should the wall fail. In my experience, contractors do everything they can to prevent being in that situation.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

, nice catch - corps is not a core. An honest mistake not caught by my spell checker or my brain, but hey they sound the same. Thanks.

I must of been thinking of the movie "The Core" where the Corps almost destroys the earth due to more of their bad engineering.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Agreed... the bottom line is greed. Cut any and every corner to save a buck. To hell with workmanship and safety.

Sadly, I think Michael(?) of your avatar would do a better job of running things in this country

top topics

join