It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark David Chapman and his Pursuit of Parole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
As I sit here watching a documentary on the shooting of John Lennon, and listen to a detailed account of that evening from the voice of Mark David Chapman, I find myself wondering "what if?" on so many levels.

What if John was never killed?

So many what ifs are running through my mind.. but what if Chapman ever received parole?

He has been denied parole four times now. In October of 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006. This October of 2008 he will have the opportunity to once again attempt to be paroled from prison.

I stand for forgiveness, second chances, and allowing those that have wronged us in the past a chance to redeem themselves. But I can not find it in me to forgive this individual and fathom him ever walking outside the gates of the New York prison he has called home since December 1980.

Does anyone think Chapman would ever be granted parole? If he was.. does anyone think someone would take it into their own hands to "even the deck?"

This is a few months away.. but I sincerely hope that they do not give this guy more than a few seconds of consideration of whether or not he is deserving of parole.

This is one man that does not deserve freedom.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I'm not a big Lennon fan, never was. I'm in a decided minority apparently, though.

Mark David Chapman broke millions of hearts all around the world, with those gunshots...

If other murderers can be paroled, why not Chapman? Is he a risk to society? Only if he fixates on another celeb, IMHO.

In that documentary, if Chapman was speaking, what was your assessment of him?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have to agree with Seagull on this one as well.

Other prisoners can be granted parole.. for even more heinous crimes; Why not him?

If he is deemed a threat to society or is/ever-was insane, he should remain behind bars until proven otherwise.

I am not a 'huge' Lennon fan, but a fan none the less. Chapman certainly snuffed out more then just one persons life that day, as in the case of many killers do... but as the legal system goes

In respect to 'someone' evening the deck', most certainly I believe his life would be at risk if he were sent back into society.

Killing an Icon brings all kinds of attention, maybe not always what the individual is expecting.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
My assessment is that he was a deranged man as a result of the mistreatment at the hand of his mother. His goal in life was to be a "somebody" and when he viewed his own life as a failure, he realized the only way he could be a "somebody" is if he killed a "somebody".

Chapman flew to New York previously to kill Lennon, but couldn't follow through on it. So he flew back a second time and it was only in their second exchange that he pulled the trigger. Chapman's own words were that he was telling himself to "Do it, do it, do it!!" as he reached for the gun.

Everything that Lennon stood for and everything that he has done, to release the man who assassinated him in the fashion that he did.. it would be an irreparable decision.

Would they parole Oswald? Booth?

I don't think the parole board has ever sincerely considered paroling him, but with his next date in the foreseeable future.. I am concerned that it is a possibility.

As a Lennon fan, a believer in peace, and a grown man.. I would seriously have to wipe the tears from my eye if he were released from prison.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You are right, Booth and Oswald, had they lived to see prison, would never have seen the light of day again. Sirhan Sirhan, etc...will never see the light of day either.

It's the magnitude of the offence, not the offence itself...Chapman will never be paroled. He'll die in prison. It's not, to my mind exactly fair, but understandable, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he should be paroled, just as I don't believe that many murderers who plot their crimes with "malice aforethought" should be paroled. However, many are paroled, why is Chapman different? The fame of his victim? Seems rather unfair to me, looking at it from Chapmans point of view...

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
But did he seek to kill just anyone? No, it was his intentions to kill someone of some magnitude. And because that was their decision, I think it is entirely fair that the magnitude be considered when questioning their parole.

John Lennon was killed because he was John Lennon.

I see what you're saying about a double standard. But the double standard only exists because of the killers initial intentions. Chapman only has himself to blame and has no grounds to point fingers at an "unjust" system.

Just my own opinion of course. From an entirely neutral perspective.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I agree...he will be killed if he is released... it angers me that we the people pay for his welfare, when this aminal deserves to be shot in the back 5 times himself. Selfish, sick ,rotton coward. I will sign anything...I will write anything...I will watch his execution....he deserves to rot in hell and then burn.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Chapman has been denied his release once again and will have to wait another two years to try again.

Chapman 'ashamed' of killing John Lennon

I find it odd that Yoko did not make herself heard on these proceedings to object the potential release of Chapman. I'm sure that she can not add anything at this point that she hasn't already said in the past, but I don't see why she would pass up the opportunity to reinforce her beliefs.

If he's going to be offered the chance at parole every two years, is it realistic to think he'll be denied every time until his death? He could live for another twenty or thirty years. I fear that a day will come when he is released, even if it is ten or fifteen years down the road.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Denied again! Good thing. Took so much from so many.

top topics

join