It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To 'Stave Off Terror' Feds Issue 'Safety Strategy' For Boaters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

To 'Stave Off Terror' Feds Issue 'Safety Strategy' For Boaters

www.rawstory.com

As boating season approaches, the Bush administration wants to enlist the country's 80 million recreational boaters to help reduce the chances that a small boat could deliver a nuclear or radiological bomb somewhere along the country's 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways.

According to an April 23 intelligence assessment obtained by The Associated Press, "The use of a small boat as a weapon is likely to remain al-Qaida's weapon of choice in the maritime environment, given its ease in arming and deploying, low cost, and record of success."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
LMAO...More fear-mongering and encouragement of everyone to be paranoid and tattle-tale on everyone. The newest terrorists---BOATERS!

Perhaps this is why that recent "martial law sweep" we were talking about included officers boarding ships and harrassing folks on the water...

Funny thing is, I recall them either selling or getting ready to sell our major PORTS to M.E. countries not long ago! LOL

To reduce the potential for such an attack in the United States, the Department of Homeland Security has developed a new strategy intended to increase security by enhancing safety standards. The Coast Guard is part of the department.

On Monday officials will announce the plan, which asks states to develop and enforce safety standards for recreational boaters and asks them to look for and report suspicious behavior on the water — much like a neighborhood watch program. The government will also look to develop technology that will help detect dangerous materials and other potential warning signs.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What was that?

Heh....I stopped listening to those fools right around the time they were touting the use of duct tape and plastic sheeting.

I figure I'm about as likely to die from "Al Qaida" as I am to be struck down by a falling toilet seat.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I love how the article goes on to imply that DHS has spent billions on securing our borders.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
As if we don't get harassed enough while boating already.

What this will really mean is more so called safety checks, so they can board us and snoop around to see what were doing and make sure we're not having too much fun.

For those non-boaters, the safety checks are like DUI checkpoints on the highway, but in this case on the water where they look around and try to find something they can write you a ticket for. While sometimes its just a simple show us your papers & dig out your life jackets so we can count heads to jackets, but often its more that and some will complain where your numbers are pasted etc. All I know is your out having a great day boating and then your wonderful day is spoiled by people digging through your personal space and often harassing anyone on board who moves to slow for them or says the wrong words.

One time I was in an area where I wouldn't have usually gone with my PWC due to normally large swells, but it was a beautiful day with smooth water. They stopped me and held me up so long (due to a registration mistake by the state) that by the time I got going again I lost my friends and was stuck going back in through dangerous swells by myself on a 10' PWC. Yeah, I know there allot of fun when your not tired and the weather hasn't come in on you, you know you have friends around to help or rescue you if you capsize etc. They did nothing but jeopardized my safety and ruin the rest of my day.

Screw Homeland security and all the rest of those NAZI POS's.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
holy crap whats the real method to the madness on this one?

they must be afraid that boaters are a lil too independent for their liking!

i guess we could be like the movie waterworld, just live on the water and stage our resistance to tyranny from there. oh wait , they already thought of that and put a stop to it........ drats foiled again..... would've got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids and that dog too!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Now I have to watch out for boatterrorists when I'm on the water?
Sorry, I've got a full time job on my boat: Looking out for bikinis that
are on too tight!!!

Way back when I earned my Boating Merit Badge in Boy Scouts, the only
scare was accidental collisions w/ other boats...never imagined I'd
have to be on the look-out for intentional collisions w/ terrorists!!!

Definition of Boat:

"A hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one pours money!"

The happiest two days of a boat owner's life: The day he BUYS it; and the
day he SELLS it!

[edit on 4/28/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

new topics

top topics

join