It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Wii Sensor Bar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
So here's the deal, and I haven't been able to get any response in any other forum I've posted this question in, so it's driving me nuts, and short of building multiple test devices, and experimenting with each one, I don't know how to test.

So my question is, since the Wii motion sensor bar is just a series of IR LEDs designed for the Wii-mote to use as reference, is it possible to extend the distance between the LEDs proportionately so that wii-mote motions are accurate for massive screen gaming?

I have a huge screen projector that has a display of approx. 99" and when I try to play shooting games like Resident Evil 4 the motion is extremely inaccurate. A tiny flick of the wrist makes the cursor move massively. It really takes away from the point and shoot style of the game.

It seems like moving the IR LEDs wider apart should work, but I'd like to find some type of formula or table that describes the proportions needed.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Have you tried Adjusting the sensitivity and or eliminating any external light sources which may be interferring with the bar IR's ability to track movement?

Brown, huh? I'd of thought this would have been covered in their initial orientation booklet.

Lemme know, Raso.

[edit: Adjusting]

[edit on 27-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess I had that comin'

I put the first one together and have about 4 IR LEDs on either end of a 20" board with no luck. I thought it was about proportional to the size of the regular wii sensor with my TV. I usually completely shut off all ambient light and close all windows, and it gets pretty dark, I just don't know if the projector is interfering somehow, and if it is, how I could prevent that while still having the sensor bar close to the screen.

I'm taking a break and watching FX. They're having a comic book movie marathon and I stopped just in time to watch the end of The Fantastic Four and the beginning of Spider Man.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Seems to me that you could build the device in the Video, however. Mount the IR emitters, so you can reposition them by moving them left or right. Put them each on a long enough wire, and walk them across the perf board, testting response as you go...until you get the sensitivity you like. does that make any sense?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Totally. Nice idea!!

As a matter of fact, why not put them on a 'zipper so that I can move them in action! Resize the screen, resize the motion sensor bar!

Awesome idea spacedoubt, I'm doin it.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I agree.
Everyone should have a zipper for their Wii..LOL

I'm so glad they called it a wii..

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I just don't know if the projector is interfering somehow, and if it is, how I could prevent that while still having the sensor bar close to the screen.

If the projector is Shining in the direction of the Bar, could be. "blinding" the IRs a bit, perhaps. (?)

While I know, from my son's mentions, the IR bar's "responsiveness" is somewhat succeptible to variance based on such, have you tried different "line of sight" positioning... to perhaps minimize or eliminate possible projector "influence"? Just curious.

Then again, with such a wide"screen", perhaps you will need to "customize" it to suit.

I'm just bouncing ideas for the sake of... maximium results thru minimal efforts.

[upon preview]
The "zipper" approach may prove a resolve, too.

Your fly's down.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I some times use 2 candles instead of the sensor bar because it just feels more accurate.

So try using 2 candles and see what distance appart it works best at.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've heard about that actually, but was concerned about igniting my projector screen or the curtains that cover it.

I've had some luck with this, but for some reason the controller isn't always detecting it, and sometimes it just freaks out. I don't know if its a controller battery issue (don't have any spare AAs right now) or if it has something to do with the motion sensor bar.

top topics

join