It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain calls for summer-long suspension of gas tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
John McCain has proposed a summer-long break from federal gasoline taxes, at a time when most Americans are on vacation:

To help people weather the downturn immediately, McCain urged Congress to institute a "gas-tax holiday" by suspending the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day. By some estimates, the government would lose about $10 billion in revenue. He also renewed his call for the United States to stop adding to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and thus lessen to some extent the worldwide demand for oil.

Combined, he said, the two proposals would reduce gas prices, which would have a trickle-down effect, and "help to spread relief across the American economy."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

abcnews.go.com...

I'll go along with this. Anything to bring down the prices at the pumps is OK with me.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
But wouldn't lowering the gas prices encourage more gasoline useage and people stock piling during that time frame. And in the long run raise the price? It would help me too, but would hurt us all in the long run I think.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Lowering the gas prices would make it less painless to fill up your car. Stockpiling? I don't think so. Raising prices? Not imo.

Prices are not high because of a shortage of gasoline. There's plenty of gas out there.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think this is a Terrible idea.

First off, what would happen to all the Things that survie off of the Gas Tax revenue.

Roads are maintaned Mostly by the Gas tax...

This idea is short sighted... but all Juan McCain is worrying about is looking good for the next 6 months, then, after he wins, he wont give a rats ass.

top topics

join