It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA lying about number of veteran suicides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

VA lying about number of veteran suicides

www.mcclatchydc.com

The Veterans Administration has lied about the number of veterans who've attempted suicide, a senator charged Wednesday, citing internal e-mails that put the number at 12,000 a year when the department was publicly saying it was fewer than 800.

"The suicide rate is a red-alarm bell to all of us," said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. Murray also said that the VA's mental health programs are being overwhelmed by Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, even as the department tries to downplay the situation.

"We are not your enemy, we are your support team, and unless we get accurate information we can't be there to do our jobs," Murray told Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs Gordon Mansfield during the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee hearing.

Mansfield told Murray and the other senators that he didn't think the VA had deliberately tried to mislead Congress or the public.

Murray remained skeptical, however, saying that the VA has demonstrated a pattern of misleading Congress about the increasing number of soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and are now seeking help and straining Defense Department and VA facilities and programs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Sadly this problem is systemic... it can't be blamed on the bush administration either. It goes back a long way... this is just the most recent manifestation of such denials as agent orange and gulf war syndrome.

Wouldn't it be nice if the VA actually looked after the interests of ALL of us vets instead of just some of us.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Im sorry i fail to see how this isnt the bush fault if anyone.

I blame him for whatever iraq and afghan produces everything is his fault and haliburton hope those 12k suicides are worth the gas and oil.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Oh bush minor is certainly responsible for the wars, no doubt about it and I for one am certainly not making excuses for him... and I am sure that the high rate of suicides and suicide attempts are directly due to the intense rotation rate... I am just saying that the VA has a history of denying problems.... and was doing so long before either bush was in office.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm sure they could be lying about legislation as well but just in case I created a petition in hopes we can reach Congress and tell them the importance of passing the bill HR 26: Veteran Mental Health Screening and Assessment Act.

This Act would increase assessment and mental health services for returning military in hopes to decrease the incidence of suicide.

Please take a few minutes to sign this petition. Thank you for your time.Tell Congress that Voting for HR 26 will Save our Veterans

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This war has gone beyond and out of control of it's self

"No more hero's any-more"

edit on 9-5-2011 by xsheep because: could not get video to work ...odd !!!

edit on 9-5-2011 by xsheep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yep. They have to meet strict criteria to "count."

new topics

top topics

join