It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can God make a stone so heavy that he can not pick it up?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

thanks

the old allottment will have to wait until we return its lobbing it down again, and as far as 15 day forecasts can be accurate, it will probably rain in cornwall most of the time.

learn to love the rain eh?

david

[edit on 29/5/2008 by drevill]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander1111
Can infinity be more than what it is already?

Alexandros

yes it can, say i have two jars with equally infinite number of marbles in them (really big jars >,>) and i take out 30 of one jar and put it in the other now one contains infinity -30 and the other contains infinity +30.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
oh come on that didnt stump anyone did it?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by superevoman

Originally posted by Alexander1111
Can infinity be more than what it is already?

Alexandros

yes it can, say i have two jars with equally infinite number of marbles in them (really big jars >,>) and i take out 30 of one jar and put it in the other now one contains infinity -30 and the other contains infinity +30.

infinita is not a number, so you cant really add or subtract anything to it.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I saw this question in a book and thought about it for a while, i would like to no what some religious people think about this. If god can do anything, he can make a stone so large he cannot pick it up, but then he could also pick it up because he is god. how does that work?

I know this is an old post but after reading it I am puzzled that no one replied to the OP.

The "rock" in question must be a physical rock which must then fit within the physical universe. Now if God created and controls the universe what then does that say of a physical rock which must be within the physical universe?

So there is your answer, think about it.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
How about Black Holes

They are the most massive singular objects in the Universe! It's not even accurate that you can actually 'lift' a black hole because they simply float in space.

Black holes by themselves especially the biggest ones found in centers of galaxies could propel themselves around in space by jets.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
If it's a physical object within this physical world then God not only created it but also controls or manipulates it.

Who put the "jets" on these blackholes?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I believe the debate always falls to this category: How many can you
pros·e·ly·tize to ones belief? Whether for God, against, or merely to prove supposed superior intellect. Comes down to ego, doesn't it? To disprove a subject (ones gain, or to accredit - notoriety) for all to say "yes" you must be right all powerful one LOL. How about the human experience? One's experience never jives with the one who has not experienced the same.

I can tell you all day long what the millenium at cedar point feels like but you never know until you get on the darn thing, you of course can agree withe me or disprove my feelings with superior intellect

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TangoVooDoo
If it's a physical object within this physical world then God not only created it but also controls or manipulates it.

Who put the "jets" on these blackholes?

Matter accreting into black holes, not all are consumed but driven away from the black hole via intense magnetic fields with incredible kinetic energy(source of highly energetic cosmic rays).

Usually blackholes produce two jets which probably conteract the thrust, but some produce one or two with unequal intensity that could produce thrust.

Here is an example:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

whats your point? lets put light into the equation, its not escaping, regardless of thrust. The question where does it go?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I saw this question in a book and thought about it for a while, i would like to no what some religious people think about this. If god can do anything, he can make a stone so large he cannot pick it up, but then he could also pick it up because he is god. how does that work?

"Omnipotent" doesn't mean he can do anything, because of His holiness and His omnipotence there are some things that he cannot do by default.

One it the creating a rock thing. Another is He cannot created a stick with one 1 end. He cannot sin. So because of His omnipotence and holiness there are certain things He cannot do by default. He can't make Himself cease to exist.

basically what I am getting at, is the INABILITY to do certain things would be an affirmation of said omnipotence.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is an age-old paradox but this is the best explanation for it I've ever heard:

The question is logically flawed because it's essentially asking can an omnipotent being fail? Failure cannot be a part of omnipotence by definition. Being able to do everything cannot include being able to fail.

So the question itself is not logically sound.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
This is an age-old paradox but this is the best explanation for it I've ever heard:

The question is logically flawed because it's essentially asking can an omnipotent being fail? Failure cannot be a part of omnipotence by definition. Being able to do everything cannot include being able to fail.

I agree:

"basically what I am getting at, is the INABILITY to do certain things would be an affirmation of said omnipotence."

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

I disagree, the question itself is 100% legit, and 100% answerable. But you are right that the point is he can't fail.

Can god make the stone? YES! It is nothing more than a choice.

If he chooses the law/rule that he can not lift the stone, then he will not be able to lift that stone.

And so now someone can say - well how is he all powerful if he can't lift the stone. And again, it comes to choice.

Once the little "riddle" is over, then he just changes the rule/law again.

So, only if he is unable to make the choice in either direction is he not all powerful. The power is all in the choice, not in the strength. That is the riddle.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I truly don't believe there is any concept of "weight" to God. If He wanted to He could relocate the whole universe or create a new one, etc...and you're concerned about whether he can pick up a rock?

How very silly...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
... for God NOTHING is impossible .

not only can he create , he can , and does , destroy .

free will is a self destructing premise , God only has to stand back

and not intervene , and the free will , must turn on itself .

:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
So, only if he is unable to make the choice in either direction is he not all powerful. The power is all in the choice, not in the strength.

indecision eliminates power I like it. Never looked at it like that before. Static or a time of rest lets say, but you still need to make a decision to have power, interesting.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

I disagree, some things are impossible for God because He is God.

Examples:

Sinning
making Himself not exist
making a stone to large for Him to lift

The INABILITY to do certain things is a testament to Him.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
disagree that is still a choice that you choose not to do. I can blow my brains out but why?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by radarloveguy

I disagree, some things are impossible for God because He is God.

Examples:

Sinning
making Himself not exist
making a stone to large for Him to lift

The INABILITY to do certain things is a testament to Him.

You seem to be confusing having the ability to do something, with making the choice to do something.

God is certainly capable of all those things. You think god is unable to sin? Not even. He is perfectly capable and able to do such a thing. The question becomes would he actually do such a thing. And if given the choice, then the answer is no. But again, he has the power to choose otherwise if he wants.

Wisdom is making the right choice/good judgment.

It never amazes me how far people will stretch and distort things in order to answer a riddle.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join