It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be a possible "Gas Strike" May 2 nd?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I was informed today that there is a cry for a gas strike throughout the USA on May 2nd in protest of the rising fuel prices, I guess the way that I had found out about this was strange, to say the least. It was passed on to me by a local caar sales man that was trying to sell me a vehicle, he had asked me to spread the strike around to everyone in the hopes that the nation will come together and back the the cause.
I am not sure where the origins of this sttarting, but is there any possibility that something like this would even be feasibly effective towards the rising prices? I have "Googled" this topic and it looks as if it has another attempt on the date of May 25th as well. Though it would be a consequent reaction from the Over the road truckdriver's it seem's it has stemmed into all catagories of operational gas vehicles as well.
So, "Will something like this give cause to any change in the rising cost of fuel/gas prices, or is it a vein attempt in getting anything changed at all?"

Opinions are greatly welcomed, for I I don't think this will work for the benefit of any change.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I haven't heard of a gas strike yet (except here at ATS) but I think it's a great idea. What would be even better if everyone could NOT buy gas for one whole week!! Do you think a move like that might freak out those who choose to screw us? Officials from the gas companies keep repeating that there is no gouging...but I want someone to tell me why the gas in my town in Washington (near Seattle) is $3.81 and the gas in another state is $3.59? My cousin in California says she's paying $4.00 a gallon. That isn't gouging...all those different prices for the same gas? Also, heard on the news this A.M. that the prediction is for gas to DOUBLE before summer!! What do you all think of them apples?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Wonder if it has anything to do with the strike over here in the UK?

link (BBC)

A refinery up in Scotland has had to shut down a couple of days ago because of a 2 day strike which will begin at 6am 27th apr (the refinery had to close days before that because - well I don't really know how huge refinery's work!.. but it had to)

That is a huge chunk of our fuel right there..

U.K. Braces for Fuel Cuts as Refinery Strike Proceeds
Q&A: Will Grangemouth cause fuel shortages?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I don't think one day is really gonna help all that much. I think that we're looking at a real nasty situation as far as gas goes. The only thing I think we can really do is get the horse and buggie ready to go agian.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by paisley101

I am not sure where I had heard on the television in the near recent past, but there was a lady that was protesting the extravigant prices of fuel in the USA, she , in her interveiw she had stated that the US has the capability of sustaining itself for approximately 160 yr's with the current reserves we have. I wish I could remember what the show was, it was an intense debate and very nonreassuring for the aspect of our Government being exactly what you had said paisley, "Price Gaugers" .
The womans explanation of the current events with gas prices is that we are being dooped by every rich conglamerant(SP?) of the fuel industry. But she did make some very strong arguements for the situation.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This has been attempted on several occasions thru mass internet and word of mouth. It never seems to pan out because people simply fill up before or the day after.

Besides, the Government wants all Americans to be out buying gas to get to the stores on May2nd.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

The only thing I think we can really do is get the horse and buggie ready to go agian.

LOL---- That is a genuine answer there Shugo....

It would solve so many issues, global warming, ozone , pollution and other such issues.
But, then again, we are all pretty addicted to the "Oil Refinery Industry" as a whole.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Besides, the Government wants all Americans to be out buying gas to get to the stores on May2nd.

That is a very intelligent point antar. I have thought to myself as well, but I do beleive that the strike would have to be on the line's of a week or longer to really affect anything under the Gov's butt. Like a rolling refinery stack a blazing!! LOL
But none the less, it is the fact of we need to be vigilant with our right's and our options, but very good point antar.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
she had stated that the US has the capability of sustaining itself for approximately 160 yr's with the current reserves we have.

A quick bit of maths here...

Three of the weeks in December 2005 ranked first, second and third in terms of the highest average weekly amount of petroleum consumed in the US, with the week of 16 December topping the chart at 22.156 million barrels per day.
link

say 160 * 365 = 58,400 days in 160 years
22,000,000 (barrels per day) * 58,400 = 1,284,800,000,000

That's more than one and a quarter trillion barrels tucked away somewhere for a rainy day, how big is your where house? The size of Florida?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Industry body Oil and Gas UK says the strike could cost the UK £50m a day.

After reading the article of the BBC link posted by Now_then, it is clear that the staggering impacts of the all mighty Dollar sign could actually be the answer.
I strongly suggest you read the link that Now_Then has provided, it is actually what is going on in the USA as of right now, and could be the trigger of it becoming an effective weapon of action for the prices to at least drop somewhat.
Great article Now_Then, thanks!!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Exert from the article posted by Now_Then from the statistics of 2005's spike in fuel usage and production. Please refer to link provided by Now_Then for full story.

Consumption of gasoline and diesel also hit their record highs in 2005, with a daily average 9.2 million barrels of gasoline (up 1% from 2004) and a daily average 4.1 million barrels of diesel (up 1.6% from 2004) consumed.

As for the cache of our oil resources, I think that we are dually using it while producing it, just relying on the imported crude for future situations.
Your point is noted and acknowledged though. It is a staggering amount, but I am sure if you looked up the recent number's of fuel consumption, the numbers would more than likely a lot lower than the spike in 2005.
It is interesting though, to be able to see the variances in our resources pertaining to our global economy of today.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The refinery strike is one of a series of labor disputes to hit Britain as the global economy weakens.
A nationwide teachers' strike over pay issues shut about a third of schools across Britain on Thursday as the government tries to clamp down on public sector wage increases due to inflation fears

Source:

news.yahoo.com...

Seems as though the recession is affecting places across the Alantic as well. What is strange is that it's Britain and Scotland, which were in the war against Osama and Hussein, "Correct?"
Could it be the major reason for all this economic turmoil?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paisley101

I'm in WA, too, and I'm about as sick of gas prices as I am of the government corruption. I know that they're linked, and I just wish that more people saw it, too. I believe that it is possible to stop all of this before it is too late, but I just don't see it as being very likely.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by paisley101
I haven't heard of a gas strike yet (except here at ATS) but I think it's a great idea. What would be even better if everyone could NOT buy gas for one whole week!! Do you think a move like that might freak out those who choose to screw us? Officials from the gas companies keep repeating that there is no gouging...but I want someone to tell me why the gas in my town in Washington (near Seattle) is $3.81 and the gas in another state is $3.59? My cousin in California says she's paying $4.00 a gallon. That isn't gouging...all those different prices for the same gas? Also, heard on the news this A.M. that the prediction is for gas to DOUBLE before summer!! What do you all think of them apples?

I'm out on the Eastside in the Snoqualmie area myself, so I hear your pain. However, if you want to direct your frustration and anger over the disparity in prices between us and other states, blame our wonderful liberal state legislature which continues to tax the hell out of our fuel. I think the prediction of gas to double is horsecrap, actually. I think it will hit $4, but the indepentdant truckers won't be able to afford delivering the gas to the stations if diesel goes past $5, so long before the price has a chance to double the tanks will be dry. By my figures no gas available equals a comfortable $0 a gallon.

They can't build that new park & ride in North Bend fast enough for me! It's costing me upwards of $10-$15 in gas a day just for the privaledge of driving into a P&R in Issaquah. I wonder how long it will be before Metro Transit ups their prices to compensate for increased demand and higher gas prices?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I live in Kalamazoo, MI can gas here is 3.69 right now. If it ever gets over 4 dollars a gallon, im pedeling my butt to work on my bike........ Screw paying 4 dollars a gallon.

I think its funny all the Oil companys are posting record profits for the last 2 years in a row...Im sure they would never screw the avg american!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have yet to see any of these "one day strikes" produce any tangible results. A tiny drop in a bucket will never even be noticed, let alone felt. Perhaps if vast amounts of people were to sell their automobiles, relocate to areas where they have access to everything they need within walking / biking distance, then we might produce an actual ripple.

So. Who's with me? (yeah, I didn't think so....)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Not buying oil as a sign of protest against high prices would be about as effective as holding our breath as a protest against rising CO2 emissions. We are too dependent upon oil to hold out for any length of time. Oil companies can just wait us out knowing full well that we will be lining up for their product again very soon.

Reports are already showing that demand is down due to the high prices. Yet, prices continue to soar.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
relocate to areas where they have access to everything they need within walking / biking distance,

Throw a couple of locations that we could find out about then!!

Everything within walking / biking distance you said - remember your words!

I challenge you

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yes, and don't forget to include our places of employment in that as well. Packing up and moving isn't as easy as people make it out to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
How many of these have we seen over the past couple of years? How much have they affected anything? I think it's simply a feelgood thing so you don't buy gas Friday you'll most likely have to buy it Thursday or Saturday.
I'm thinking a more effective economic boycott would be to not use plastic for a week. Visa and Mastercard both charge businesses a percentage of each transaction. They don't make their money from interest but from transactions (the interest is made by the bank issuing the card). Things may have changed lately, but I'm pretty sure the biggest shareholders to both Visa and Mastercard are the BB&B's (Big Banks and Brokers). If everyone used cash for just a week we'd see how well these banks are really capitalized, and if it's really safe to keep our money there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join