It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soft-Drinks, killing the planet one drink at a time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Have you ever had a Shot of sodium-benzoate and Vitamin-C within the same digestive period? if you live a "normal" life, i bet you have.

sodium benzoate is in EVERY carbinated drink, most mouthwash and many other products people use and consume in the average day. It is used as a preservative and on its own is not particularity dangerous, but as humans we need to consume a daily regime of vitamins and minerals, through natural and simulated means. Vitamin-C (Ascorbic Acid) is one of those, and when Ascorbic acid and Sodium Benzoate come together they form Benzene.

The FDA knew of the problem as early as 1990, but never made the findings public. Instead, the FDA came to an agreement with the US soft drinks association that the soft drink industry would reformulate the drinks. In recent months, private tests have been done, and support claims by a former chemist for Cadbury Schweppes, who, as Beverage Daily reports, is now keen to blow the whistle on the benzene levels in soft drinks and the health risks involved. This has prompted the FDA to re-open the case they closed in 1990

Benzene, or Benzol (see also Benzine), is an organic chemical compound and a known carcinogen with the molecular formula C6H6. It is sometimes abbreviated Ph–H. Benzene is a colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell and a relatively high melting point. Because of this, its use as an additive in gasoline is now limited, but it is an important industrial solvent and precursor in the production of drugs, plastics, synthetic rubber, and dyes. Benzene is a natural constituent of crude oil, but it is usually synthesized from other compounds present in petroleum. Benzene is an aromatic hydrocarbon and the second [n]-annulene ([6]-annulene), a cyclic hydrocarbon with a continuous pi bond.

Whats your view on that "one harmless pop" now? is it still that harmless?

Whats your view on this subject? i would really love to hear your feedback!

Ascorbic Acid
Benzene in softdrinks

Benzene

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Infadel]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Is there anything we can take nowdays that will not harm or give us cancer?

This benzene / benzine is also used in cigarettes (or produced from its smoke) and apparently is breathed in whilst filling up at the petrol station.

www.youtube.com...

Also,

Leakage from underground storage tanks or from hazardous waste sites containing benzene can result in benzene contamination of well water.

[url=http://www.toxictorts.com/benzene_info_how_exposed_to_benzene.shtml]

However, Benzine is more commonly used:

[url=http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/benzene/basics/facts.asp]

I assume there will be law-suits brought against the said manufacturers for the non-disclosure of known carsenogenic agents in their products!

Is there really a need for companies to put such chemicals in any food or drink product in this day and age?

[edit on 26-4-2008 by Breifne]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
While doing a bit of reaserch into benzene and the extent of the manipilation of soft-drinks i found some very interesting facts on aspartame.

It seems to be that when aspartame is heated to 86 Degrees F (our body is 97~), it goes through a transformation and changes to formaldehyde....only problem is i cant find any good articles or studies to prove this.

If it is true, then there are some dire consequences like cancer, decay of "gray matter" in the brain and spine, Developmental effects and birth defects.

just thought i would add that, the way this is looking it might be an idea (if there is the support!) to start a campaign against preservatives.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Infadel]

join