It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observations from WalMart

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
People watching can be great. One of my favorite bars had a large glass window and several comfortable stools by it for patrons to "People watch". Since however I don't do the bar scene any more I get my occasional people fix in other areas. Wal-mart is a good place. Especially by some benchs near the front of the store.

as far as the .Org I'm gonna guess "Knights of columbus".

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Shriner.

Sit around a Waffle House in Georgia for a bit.....yowza. Especially if it's just off a major interstate....the mix of people that come through covers the entire spectrum.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Oops.

Oops.

3-line Oops.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by MrPenny]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
My observations from walmart are that we have the largest retailer in the world but they cant seem to manage to staff even 25% of the registers they have installed in the stores. Generally I avaid the place like the plaque but occassionally I like to go and shop a little which is generally enjoyable until you have to wait in line 30 minutes just to pay for your purchases. Heres a great life tip for you never buy frozen foods from walmart becasue by the time you pay for them and get them home they are no longer frozen.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous
ehhhh...more than likely it's prolly cuase of the way i walk. i have a really cocky walk...

some are probably admiring...

some are probably hating..

either way im still thinking...you could at least say something. *shrugs*

Or some may just think you look like a complete tool, which doesn't fall into either catergory.

Slash, that is why I don't hide swearing from my kids, because I know they are going to hear it when we are out and about anyways. So instead I explain to them that swearing is only apropriate for adults and even then only in certain situations. They understand the deal and when we are out in public, we don't have to freak out when some swear happy teen drops the F bomb in front of them.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
LordInfamous,

i've noticed ppl watching me in places like this and it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally gets under my skin. it's like..WTF do you want? i mean..they don't even smile or anything..they just stare and when you notice em staring they just blink....

i've really had to control my severe urges to want to walk up on someone who's been staring at me and cuss them out.

LOL LOL LOL..dont try this with people like me. Lots of us watch wildlife in its natural habitat. Please dont confirm our views for us.

ehhhh...more than likely it's prolly cuase of the way i walk. i have a really cocky walk...

either way im still thinking...you could at least say

People walking a certain way means nothing to me. What counts to me is what you know how to do when the going gets rough. I see these guys who like to strut or whatever they are calling it now days. On my job..I'll stick them in a tight difficult hole so that they can learn to solve a real problem. Not just put on a show. Try strutting this!!!!
Never had much use for showmanship..but whatever floats your boat. Just dont try to use it to get over on me.

Agree with Photobug about the bad service in some Wal Marts. I prefer to go in the middle of the night..not in the afternoon..especially Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Those are good times to avoid Wal Mart.
I have also learned to avoid the main cash registers if possible. I go to jewelry..to sports department , Electronics/video sections, or the outdoor section and check out rather than the front main cash registers.

I remember going to the registers at Food Lion...one morning. No one in the lines..the two girls behind the registers were talking across the aisles.
I scooted into one line quickly thinking to myself....no lines..how great!
This really dumb girl behind the cash register...says.."This is the express line...that line over there is the regular line."
I looked at her ..the lack of anyone in line..then down at the goods in my basket..........and walked off ...leaving my basket and goods right there in line. This girl was so stupid...she hollers at me.. "Your coming back arent you??" I looked back at her and said.."No!!" This girl was so stupid she gasped in astonishment. I am not a cow or pig going down the chute at the processing plant while others go through my wallet. You know.."Keep to the right...dont step on the grass...cash or charge..paper or plastic.??"
No thanks...the less of that drivel the better. I dont enjoy the shopping experience..dont complicate it by being stupid too.

I have done this even at Wall Mart when they get stupid...and or the lines are to long. I dont have to put up with lousy service...ever. I dont spend alot of time standing in line somewhere. If you think outside of the standard thinking today...how much of your valuable time do you spend standing in line somewhere? How much of your valuable lifetime do you spend standing in line somewhere. Not worth my time. I will schedule my shopping to a more opportune and less crowded time.
But if I have to put up with alot of stupid nonsense I will leave my shopping cart right there complete with perishables and walk out. Ive done it many times..especially in Wall Mart when they get stupid because management is not on the job. My time and moneys are valuable..I dont have any interest in paying first hand prices for second hand service. Dont you do it either. Think your way out of it ...your time and moneys are valuable.

Snowflake,
Correct about the swearing. But we do try to let our offspring know that it is not good to become a stamped out xerox copy of everyone else. Especially in a social/economic structure where the lowest common denominator in conduct is highly merchandizable and to be admired...because it can bring in great profits as long as people never think. This includes language faculties.
Xerox copies are just xerox copies..most of them get thrown away ..soon enough...and for the next cheap copy...
Wal Mart is famous for such pandering of xerox copies. They are however not the only ones. Wal Mart ..merely replaced K Mart.
I have for some time now ..wondered who will be replacing Wal Mart.

Thanks,
Orangetom

mod edit: fixed italic

[edit on 7-5-2008 by UK Wizard]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

I am an overnight cashier at wal-mart and I am happy to say that I provide wonderful customer service. I always smile and say hello, I am careful when I bag stuff and if I get a chance I put their bags in their cart for them. I know that many of my fellow cashiers (both night and day) also provide exellent customer service. Maybe it's the fact I work in Minnesota, you know the whole "Minnesota Nice" thing. Although there are a few cashiers at my store that I think should be fired because they are always scowling and what not.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian

Originally posted by LordInfamous

either way im still thinking...you could at least say something. *shrugs*

Or some may just think you look like a complete tool, which doesn't fall into either catergory.

lol..let em think that then.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

wtf you mean don't try this with ppl like you? if i wanna cuss somebody out then by all means i'm gonna do it. you sound like you're trying to say if i cussed somebody like you out there would be severe consequences. which there would NOT BE.

the way i walk is far from putting on a show guy. it's called confidence. i happen to like myself a lot. i'm attractive, tall, intelligent, and i dress nice. the combination of those factors results in a "i know im the
walk."

any guy who's any of those things is (more than likely) gonna walk the way i do.

you probably lack all those factors which is why your post is filled with hate in it's purest form.

Thanks,
LordInfamous

p.s.
your job

p.p.s the ONLY reason i came at you in this reply in full fledged jerk mode, is because that's the vibe i got from your reply. if you weren't trying to be a jerk, the excuse me for being one. but i think alot of ppl would agree with me when i say that you WERE trying to be a
head.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The Victory Lap Charity Program

Props for spending all those hours for the kids.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I have never heard of that charity. I will have to look into it.

Lord, it sounds like what you call confidence I call conceit. I am not trying to dis you or anything because I know it's a fine line between the two and I tread on the conceit side myself sometimes as well.

Besides, this is not a thread about walking. It is a thread about people watching at wal-mart. So I digress.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

LOL LOL LOL...Wow Lord Infamous..you go on the string rather easily.

Is this the part where we are supposed to unzip to see who has the biggest one?? No thanks ..not intrested in that kind of strutting. Never was.
Tostestorne styling never intrested me.

I am glad for you that you like yourself alot. Is there a word for this kind of behavior???

you probably lack all those factors which is why your post is filled with hate in it's purest form.

Wow!!! did you go to public school here?? Is this what they teach for intelligence now days. Someone says something of which you disapprove ...it must be hate. After all ...you like yourself alot..it must automatically by default entitle you to play through...unchallanged...of course!!! We all know this..some folks play through because they automatically deserve it more than others...otherwise it is hate.

Do I need to take a lie detector test on this?? How about a DNA test??
Is this what they teach in public schools now days..self promotion. You know....15 minutes of fame and all that stuff!!

YOu dont come across as a jerk LordInfamous. Not to me. Doesnt bother me one way or another.

Look Lord Infamous...I am not telling you this to be self promoting or horn tooting..chest thumping or such. Not much intrest in that kind of stuff.
But understand something beyond our egos per se...here.

I install uranium fuel cells in nuclear reactors for a living. This means you keep your cool even under pressure. You dont get shaken up easily. You dont have tiime to strut because these things are heavy and cost millions..literally. I work with lots of guys like this. This does not make us better than others...most certainly not. It makes us very different.
YOU follow strict proceedures to do this...meaning you dont easily go on an emotional jag...or get upset. YOu keep your cool when you do this kind of work..or you can get hurt or killed...or do so to someone else. YOu can even get radiated and contaminated.
This is why strutting peoples do not impress us. Some of us out here on these boards have actually been out here where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Not everyone out here thinks from the self promotional angle. People out here do actually think differently and have different views. Not everyone out here is a copy of something or someone from a movie, DVD. or album....or whatever they are merchandizing now days.
Now ..if you find this line of thinking hateful...well you'll just have to deal with it...because you are not going to shake me up over here. It's just not happening.

Snowflake,

I didnt know you dwelled up there. Here in Hampton, Virginia...this Wal Mart in this area has a bad reputation out of all the Wally Worlds in the Tidewater area. It is legend even a cross the river among people from Norfolk and Va. Beach side...Suffolk and even up in York County. I have even driven across the river rather than suffer this store.
When I have to I go in the middle of the night ..like now...I can handle the large stacks of stuff all over the floors as I understand they do a large volume and must stock up. I dont have to put up with bad service. This is mostly managements fault. They should be minding the store more closely.
But I am not obviously talking strictly about Wally World in my posts as I have done the same in other stores.

Ahhh..ok..overnight cashier..ok..understand. That is the shift I prefer. I used to work 11pm to 7 am. I liked it alot. currently I am on 3:30pm to midnight. It is ok..better than dayshift. I never was much of a daywalker... but prefer the graveyard shifts.
I am glad that you provide good service...and take pride in your abilities.
Let me know if you get transfered down here. We could use more cashiers and managers of good conscience at this Wally World.
Oh..also I have never been to Minnesota. I am not familiar with the
"Minnesota Nice " thing but thanks for enlightening me.

Orangetom

mod edit: fixed italic bbcode.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by UK Wizard]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

tom, at the end of the day i don't care about you, your job, or how things go down at your job. plain and simple, i thought you reacted to me like a jerk, so i reacted to you like one. why? well see when you say things like "don't try this on ppl like me" and "just don't use it to get over on me" you take on somewhat of a confrontational disposition. those types of dispositions are usually possesd by jerks, bullies, and
holes. see what i'm saying? when ppl feel confronted by a jerk, bully, or
hole, they're either gonna withdraw, or make stand their ground. i stood my ground. it had NOTHING to do with me trying to be macho or trying to "style my testostorone" on you.

you've made yourself clear and hopefully i've made myself clear. and if i haven't then oh well. later.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Ok folks time to chill out, this is BTS after all. Please stay on topic.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Lord Infamous,

Yes I understood that most likely you would not comprehend the depth of the explaination but I gave it a try. Self promotion can be a very effecient set of blinders.

As to jerkdom...try this from your previous post.

this
irks me to hell and back.

i've noticed ppl watching me in places like this and it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally gets under my skin. it's like..WTF do you want? i mean..they don't even smile or anything..they just stare and when you notice em staring they just blink....

i've really had to control my severe urges to want to walk up on someone who's been staring at me and cuss them out.

nosiness and
nosy ppl

Get what I mean?? When you dish it out ..there are times when you need to be able to take it ....but self promotion often blinds us to the concept...we tend to cover this up with words like..."hateful" or "hate" in order to play through unchallanged or undebated. Some people out here are not wont to let such self promotion...ie..conceit as someone else called it..play through.
Some people looking at your post and what you describe to make your point would in fact call it hate and hateful. Especially with your language faculties.

I hadn't thought about it quite that way until your post...but thanks for the heads up. Hate or Hate concepts may become or is becoming the new paradim...a control word in censorship ...used to control or put others on the defensive. Like censoring them so others can play through on a clear field and with the "moral" high ground. You know....in otherwords..PC!! It just doesnt work with me...but I do appreciate you clueing me in. I shall have to be more observant for this fingerprint out here in the world and on various boards. Thanks for this heads up. I am coming away from this thread with a new concept on which to work and be observant. Thank you.

No problems here...I merely suggest you re examine your posts before labeliing others with the fingerprint you so obviously and adeptly practice.

Well ..enough of that...stuff.

I am headed to Wally World soon..some supplies which need stocking up.
If it gets rediculous I will leave as stated in a previous post. Wont have much time to watch crowds today. Another time perhapsed.
I am actually thinking of going back to the local K Mart as it is much less crowded. Wally World has taken alot of the traffic from the local K Marts. I am begining to think that the lack of crowds is more appealing than the cheaper priced merchandize. The only thing is that this K Mart is not opened 24/7 but has regular hours.

Not as big a crowd at the local K Mart..not as many opportunities to watch people there. Most of them are in fact at the local Wal Mart. It appears that in addition to merchandizing ..Wally World has become in a manner of speaking a sociological/psychological event. A key index..or factor. Will "Experts" coin a phrase for this kind of event, index, or location??

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 7-5-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
reply to post by Badge01

Lord, it sounds like what you call confidence I call conceit. I am not trying to dis you or anything because I know it's a fine line between the two and I tread on the conceit side myself sometimes as well.

lmao snowflake you can't be serious...conceit and confidence are 2 totally different things. if i would have said something like..i'm the most attractive guy ever, or i dress the nicest out of anybody THEN you would be right in calling me conceited. however, there were no exaggerations in the description of my factors. which is why it's NOT conceit.

if memory serves me correct, you stated in a thread that you should be "famous for being the hottest fat chick ever (hey a girl has to be confident)

excuse me, but that's stonecold conceit right there. why? because you exaggerated the hell out of yourself. now you may very well be a hot fat chick, but the hottest fat chick ever?...lol get the
out of here

tom if you wanna know more about hate check this out.....
www.urbandictionary.com...

i'd like to know your thoughts on it, so u2u about it. now, let's let this thread get back to ppl watching.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Let's try this again.

This is about observations at Wal-Mart, you two take your bickering somewhere else, as in off this thread and to private mail if you must argue.

Thank You for shopping ATS, have a nice day and come again.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

Lord, in that statement I was being humorous and sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously. Yes I do think I am pretty but I don't usually push it in peoples faces unless I am with my friends and we are having a good laugh. Yes conciet and confidence re two different things but there is a fine line that seperates the two. Also I did say in my post that I have crossed the line between confidence and conciet on different occasions so I am by no means saying that I am an angel in this conversation.

Speaking of observations and people watching (even here online), OrangeTom, have you ever created a post that was less than 3 paragraphs long? Anyways, I see a lot of "cocky walkers" at my store and there have been many times where I was filling in as people greeter and said hello to these fellas as they walk in and they have actually thought I was hitting on them. I am like "no sorry, I am a people greeter right now, it is my job to say hello to you as you come in the store."

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Alright folks, as has been mentioned twice now, it's BTS, let's keep it light and friendly.

In attempt to push the ship back on course, another observation I seen that day.

Over half the people that set off the alarm on there way out of the store didn't bother to stop and have the greeter check their bag's. Most just kind of looked funny at the security posts, and kept walkin'. The funny thing was that not one of the employees said anything to them, just let them go. There was a few times that there was guys at the doors bringing shopping carts back into the store and they didn't bother to stop them.

Also today, I took my daughter out for dinner as a treat. She won an award at school this week so I thought I'd let her chose where we went.We don't go out that often so when we do, I usually let her pick the spot(always the same place) and let her order for us(always the same food). When we got there, she asked could we get our regular booth. It's on the second floor and is a window seat so she likes to look out at the world while dining.We know the waitress so she knew what she meant. Our luck was good, even though the restaurant was busy, the booth was open. It's interesting to here a kids take on things. We play a game when we go to this place. She picks a person and then we make a story about them, based on what they are doing. Ya know whether they are walking quick or slow, talking on their cellphone, if they are alone or with someone else. We usually do this for a couple of people throughout dinner.

It's actually quite a fun game. The waitresses play it with us sometimes if it's slow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join