It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observations from WalMart

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So, I had to sell tickets tonight for an organization I belong to( 500 points to the first person who guesses said Org.)

I was at WalMart from 6 till about 8:45. Being by myself and it being kinda slow in the selling of the tixs, I decided I would people watch. I haven't done it for a while. Used to be a pass time. Sit in the Market and watch the folks go by.

Anyway, some of the things I seen and heard tonight. Some good, some bad.

Emo kids are funny.

Idiots that drive 50 km/h in a busy parking lot need to have their license revoked for a week or two.

Many more women shop at WalMart than men.

Smiling at some one seems to always get one in return.

Young couples holding hands is cute.

Old couples holding hands makes me happy. I don't know why but it gives me hope for this world.

Listening to a young couple argue over what kind of underwear she's going to buy to wear for him is funny as heck.

Some people need to lighten up on their kids.

Kids are awesome. And they say the cutest things.

Older women(60/70) shouldn't wear tight jeans. *shudder*

There also seems to be a distinct lack of wedding rings on women fingers in my city. This also makes me happy.

It appears the " I Dream Of Genie" hairdo is coming back. Please say it isn't so.

People seem surprised that some one my age is involved with my Org. I was told this at least 4 times tonight.

So anyone else like to people watch. Ever se anything really funny/hear anything really funny?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
People watching is great.
My wife and I do that often. It's even better if you can hear some of the dialog.

Wal-Mart is an interesting place to do such a thing, I would suspect.

Did you happen to notice if people were searching for things NOT made in China?
Thats something I do..Even the frozen Seafood..If it says Product of China, it goes back on the shelf.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Listening to a young couple argue over what kind of underwear she's going to buy to wear for him is funny as heck.

TOO FUNNY!!!!

My wife and I have had that very discussion!!!

Isn't it great just watching people?

Semper

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I only heard one person mention anything about where the stuff they were buying was from.

They were wanting to look for a bike for the son but wanted to make sure it was made in Canada. As he was buying a ticket he asked me "What do you think of finding one of those here are?" He said it with enough sarcasm that it clear what his meaning was.

That was the only person I heard mention it.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I forgot how much fun it is semp. People are interesting creatures. They say and do some strange things when they think that no one is paying attention.

My wife and I have had that very discussion!!!

So won the argument?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Ah Yes, people watching.
It was my favorite pass time "adventure" in the various air ports and ports around the world.
I still take time to indulge even though I don't travel any more.
The local coffee shop side walk is excellent.
Ah yes, the weather will soon allow for the years first "event".
Happy Voyeurisme
WIS

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I recently had a 2 hour layover at the airport in Atlanta. So I was people watching....

I noticed that women who are going to be flying on a tight schedule shouldn't wear high heels and try to run through the airport.

Please, if you're going to text message, get out of the main walkway or speed it up....

Couples with small children really should consider what they're doing by taking the small children on vacation and flying at that.

Airport workers walk much slower than anyone else.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I like those observations, having just spent some airport time.

I'd like to add two more to your list.
All passengers should buy a box of breath mints before sitting next to me.
Or those listerine strips...something.

When making an "IMPORTANT" cell phone call, talk to the person on the other end, and NOT to everyone else within earshot. We don't care about your important job. We are NOT impressed. so shaddup!
(it would be ok if I could hear both sides of the conversation though..LOL)

[edit on 27-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ahh...GAOTU789,

It has been awhile since I have seen your posts. Hope all is well with you and your daughter.

The thread where I first saw your post ...If I recall was this one...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes..I too like to watch people at Wall Mart when I have the time. People observing is at times very intresting.

Your list is pretty much what I have observed at Wall Mart and other places. Lowes and Home Depot ..particularly at this time of year is another of my favorites.

OH..and I was not aware that the "I dream of Genie " hairdo was coming back..Thanks for the heads up. I will watch for this.

I also will tell you that I know the name of the "good god " by name...in answer to the opening sentance of your OP.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I am going to guess Girl Scouts of America as the .ORG. The other thing you did not mention is the size of the people. You are so right when you say that people are way too hard on their children. If they were good parents, they would not have their children act with bad manners in public. Take it easy on the kids. I have seen so many situations where people just lose it with their children and it is a sad thing to watch.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Hey Tom. Has been a while. this Modding gig keeps me busy. Seems to be a trend though. Get promoted, post less.

Thanks for asking, We are both doing well. Some drama a while ago but what would life be without it.

As for the other thread, things have been about the same. I have resigned myself to be single for awhile. I haven't given up looking just not looking as hard. I should get back and answer some of your questions there. I thought we had a good discussion going. I'll see what I can do about that soon.

Originally posted by Monteriano
I am going to guess Girl Scouts of America as the .ORG.

Nope, thats not it. As for the rest of your post, I agree. Some people seem to be able to handle their kids in public, others can't. In my opinion, because they can't control them, they really over react to the smallest things they do.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I work overnights at wal-mart and believe me, people watching on overnights at wal-mart is a lot of fun.

I have only seen four organizations outside of the wal-mart where I work, one is girl scouts, another is DARE and the other is a Christian organization that sells t-shirts and tickets to Christian events. I don't know their name though. Of course the fourth is the Salvation Army at Christmas time.

It's funny though, a lot of our regular customers at night are actually men.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
this
irks me to hell and back.

i've noticed ppl watching me in places like this and it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally gets under my skin. it's like..WTF do you want? i mean..they don't even smile or anything..they just stare and when you notice em staring they just blink....

i've really had to control my severe urges to want to walk up on someone who's been staring at me and cuss them out.

nosiness and
nosy ppl

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

I'm not one of those LI. I usually just glance or if I'm staring and they notice, I'll always smile. I can keep track of more than one person at a time so I don't usually stare but I'm sitting there for 3 hours, I need to entertain myself.

Smiling at some one seems to always get one in return.

From my first post. I try not to be rude about it. Just working the mind.

One thing I do is try to remember the people coming and going so I don't ask the same person twice. I'll try to remember how long it's been since they went in. Whether they are quick shoppers by the amount of stuff they have and how long they've been in the store. Stuff like that, just exercising the brain.

reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

No those aren't it. And I could see the late night crowd being all men. I know I've shopped at 3 am a few times.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Great thread! Working in fast food has shown me many types of people. My store is right next to a bar so I have plenty of stories to share.

Parents bring their kids to our store all the time, I've seen the unruly kids that scream, the polite kids, and those kids that run all over the store and their parents don't seem to mind.
The other night we had a few kids running around while I was mopping the lobby, one kid slipped and bit the floor, and I knew this was going to happen but their parents didn't tell them to stop or be careful. I was kind of disgusted at this fact, but this cute little kid was crying and all, so I gave him and his sister some free ice cream and his tears were gone in a split second.
Watching people is some thing I like to do, but I also have to interact with them, so I've learned some good people skills. From the people who are total jerks, to teens asking for a cup for water and then going to steal soda, and even the teens who come in to eat and drop the F bomb constantly when children are in the area.
Saw a couple a while back that were talking, they started to argue and then started yelling at each other, the girl ended up getting up and stormed out of the building. I heard quite a bit of the conversation and the guy was being a real jerk, but when the girl left, I watched him break down and start crying over his meal.
We people are very interesting, thats for sure.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Slash]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I tend to stare at people, can't help it, people are amazing. I get odd glances 'cause, well... I THINK I'm smiling, but it's not really noticable. (Took me smiling into a mirror to figure that out. A slight up turn of the lips feels like a wide grin to me...)
That said, I do get a few back. SOme seem a little strained, but I put on my fedora and they come easier. A serious looking fellow in a hawaiin shirt nad a battered stingray fedora seems to be silly for some reason.
As for things I've noticed?
Don't get angry at your kids 'cause you've been at Wally World for four or five hours and they keep themselves entertained. they're kids. it's wha tthey do.
No matter what you say, or how ever many piercings you have, you are NOT a nonconformist if you shop at Wally World.
Sticking a quarter in a gumball machine is a great way to make a kids day.
Milton seriously needs a mall. The skateboarders hang out in the excersise depo, the "gangsters hang out in clothing, ect.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
[edit on 28-4-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Slash

As a completely off topic post.

Slash, my daughter thinks you have the best avatar on ATS. She loves Tiger's

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
LordInfamous,

People watching does not neccesarily include staring at people, and honestly when I people watch when I am bored I will only really concentrate on people who are doing something different or peculiar. So, if people watchers are constantly staring at you in the store...then you must be one big weirdo!

Just kidding.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

ehhhh...more than likely it's prolly cuase of the way i walk. i have a really cocky walk...

some are probably admiring...

some are probably hating..

either way im still thinking...you could at least say something. *shrugs*

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join