It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharpton Vows 'To Close This City' After Officer Acquittals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Sharpton Vows 'To Close This City' After Officer Acquittals

www.rawstory.com

Hundreds of angry people marched through Harlem on Saturday after the Rev. Al Sharpton promised to "close this city down" to protest the acquittals of three police detectives in the 50-shot barrage that killed a groom on his wedding day and wounded two friends.

"We strategically know how to stop the city so people stand still and realize that you do not have the right to shoot down unarmed, innocent civilians," Sharpton told an overflow crowd of several hundred people at his National Action Network office in the historically black Manhattan neighborhood. "This city is going to deal with the blood of Sean Bell."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Man, I hope this doesn't erupt into all out chaos like the L.A. riots...This whole sham of a trial was disgusting though, so I can't blame these folks for being outraged. I just hope things don't go totally crazy....

The rally at Sharpton's office was followed by a 20-block march down Malcolm X Boulevard and then across 125th Street, Harlem's main business thoroughfare, where some bystanders yelled out "Kill the police!"

-----

"They never accused Sean Bell of doing anything. Then why is he dead?" Sharpton asked, his voice roaring with anger. Authorities "have shown now that they will not hold police accountable. Well, guess what? If you won't, we will!"

"Shut it down! Shut it down!" the crowd chanted, standing up and applauding wildly.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sharpton is nothing but a loudmouth nobody

always seeking camera time. If he provokes anything, i think we should have the terrorist picked up and tried. In this case, i'm all for it.

Nobody wants to see those cops go free, but Sharpton just aint the solution, imo.

He's nothing but an opportunist.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Al Sharpton's just angry that the detectives in question weren't white, and were in fact black, so he can't turn this into another "Whitey is hatin' on a brutha" racial shakedown.

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Man, I hope this doesn't erupt into all out chaos like the L.A. riots...This whole sham of a trial was disgusting though, so I can't blame these folks for being outraged. I just hope things don't go totally crazy....

Excuse me if I sound cynical, but either way it's going to end with whites getting assaulted one way or the other.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
Excuse me if I sound cynical, but either way it's going to end with whites getting assaulted one way or the other.

That doesn't sound cynical. It sounds racist. Because it is.

This is about police murdering people out of pure stupidity and getting away with it.

We can't let police shoot men to death with 50+ bullets for no damn reason and get away with it. Period.

I don't see any reason for people to dismiss this situation. Who cares what Sharpton does? Does it upset some of you that the same loud-mouth black man is making a ruccus? Get over it. It's called justice. You can be a part of it or you can sit back and kiss the ass of police-men everywhere regardless of how idiotic and murderous they prove themselves.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It has happened to White people, but no one says a thing about it. It happens to one Black person and is hyped to the point of no return.

What they did wasn't right, but should not be made a racial issue by a racist idiot like Al Sharpton.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It was wrong, and i dont think anyone is kissing any policemens butt either, at least not me.
I think they should all be put to death.
I just dont like to hear an ignoramus "I vow to close this city" spewing crap. He's not going to close any city.

Why doesnt he "vow" to take on the NWO, or Bush or Cheney or Oil barons?

He's just blowing hot wind.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
It has happened to White people, but no one says a thing about it. It happens to one Black person and is hyped to the point of no return.

BUUULLLLL%$#.

We have got to stop leaning on racial BS and learn to speak the truth. It does NOT happen to white people! Seriously.

A white man can start a fight in a bar, put someones teeth out, stumble out and greet the cops with his hands in his pockets. Guess what happens to him? He'll be tasered and arrested at worse .

A black man will leave the same bar room to avoid the fight, the minute the cops see him he better put his hands in the air or he's going to get shot to death with 80+ bullets.

Does this make all cops racist? No. But there are serious pigs out there who have proven themselves in these kind of situations over and over .

Instead of being in denial about the police force making mistakes, instead of playing the race card, we need to grow the hell up and face reality. This stuff is not happening to white people and we do have pieces of $@*% in uniform who call themselves police. In this situation, the pieces of @$*% got what they wanted and the justice system was bent over and raped in front of the whole city.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's funny, happens to the Indians and they never make a big deal about it. White men have gone on reservations around where I live and have been castrated in the middle of the street. Do you see this on the news? No. Do you see it hyped up? No.

Now-a-days, if you don't name a dam Hurricane after a Black person, it's all over the news that Whites control the world and are racist. What happens? To be politically correct, the next hurricane will now be called Hurricane Tyrell.

One incident. If there were others, it would have been in the news. This is just one. Do not blow it up into a racist hateful America. It is only racisit when you make such issues.

The debt has been paid, over 400,000 White men died in the Civil War to free Blacks.

Now we have the worst corruption in Rap music, yet you don't here Whites making a big deal out of all the garbage in those songs about shooting and killing. Not to mention is all sexed based on main music channels. The uncut versions on the Internet that would make a Sailor cringe.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It's funny, happens to the Indians and they never make a big deal about it.

Hey cool. Another person speaking about other races like he has a clue.

I know 'Indians'. Well. They already know not to expect justice.

White men have gone on reservations around where I live and have been castrated in the middle of the street. Do you see this on the news? No.

Yeah. Because it never happened. Do you know what a rumor is?

I live 'near' a reservation and for God's sake, things like that simply don't happen without major repercussion. So stop spreading rumors and insinuating that white people are in danger from minorities -

I don't know why you would go there unless you are implying that it's no big deal for police to murder innocent minorities. That's obviously what you people are doing. "Oh, minorities beat on white people so it's ok." "Oh, white people have been shot before so it's ok." GTFO of here with that BS.

Now-a-days, if you don't name a dam Hurricane after a Black person, it's all over the news that Whites control the world and are racist. What happens?

KATRINA!? WHO CARES DUDE!? What does this have anything to do with the topic!? You couldn't be more obvious in your racist insinuations.

To be politically correct, the next hurricane will now be called Hurricane Tyrell.

I stand corrected. Time to click the Alert button.

The debt has been paid, over 400,000 White men died in the Civil War to free Blacks.

Again, what the hell does this have to do with the topic? This is the 21st century dude... I can't believe people still talk like this.

Now we have the worst corruption in Rap music, yet you don't here Whites making a big deal out of all the garbage in those songs about shooting and killing.

That's because they %#*$ing eat that up with a spoon and ask for more. Teenage white girls love that #*$%. Wake up.

Still have nothing to do with the topic.

I hope I scared off all the racist punks from posting in this thread. Don't try and side-wind your way into a 'blame blacks' speech. We aren't down with that $#*% on this site...

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Now-a-days, if you don't name a dam Hurricane after a Black person, it's all over the news that Whites control the world and are racist. What happens? To be politically correct, the next hurricane will now be called Hurricane Tyrell.

What? Are you drunk or something because this just doesn't make any sense.

One incident. If there were others, it would have been in the news. This is just one. Do not blow it up into a racist hateful America. It is only racisit when you make such issues.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of other incidences. And none of them make the news. I could start posting other instances, but it would be way too time consuming, and pointless because I think you're the only one in the world who doesn't acknowledge it, or relies on the news for their news.

The Civil War had little to nothing to do with slavery. It was incidental. And what about the subsequent century and a half of degradation oppression and abuse?

Now we have the worst corruption in Rap music, yet you don't here Whites making a big deal out of all the garbage in those songs about shooting and killing. Not to mention is all sexed based on main music channels. The uncut versions on the Internet that would make a Sailor cringe.

Again, you must be drunk because this is so far off topic and ridiculous that I'm not even going to respond in this thread.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
[snip] Yes, I lied about the reservation thing, a total rumor, you are right! I guess because it wasn't in the news, must be a lie then. You have such great wisdom.

Nothing to do with the topic? Hmmm, I guess you fail to link commonalities between prejudices hyped up by Blacks in general over rediculous petty things playing both the victem and racist cards.

You are right wise one, because it is in the news, it must be a huge problem and not media hype. I guess i'll tell the TV stations on the reservations around here they are missing out on some attention time.

Great another moron .. I guess this thread was hi-jacked by some bleeding heart liberals no doubt. Appeal to that emotion.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by jetxnet]

Mod edit- removed instulting remark

Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 26-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
OK, chill out now guys.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Great another moron .. I guess this thread was hi-jacked by some bleeding heart liberals no doubt.

"YEAH! How DARE black people demand justice! Indians castrate white people on reservations! And umm... other reasons!" Seriously. This isn't worth it. I notice that I end up censored instead of the instigator, but I'll handle that issue somewhere else

Back to the topic, the city is not going to shut down, it's going to stiffen up and get real tense then go back to normal. The LA riots were probably a once in a lifetime thing. I can't imagine a racial riot anymore because there are too many white people who are in on justice. We don't like our police acting like idiots and then raping the judicial system to avoid trouble.

We also don't like the constant avoidance and misdirection by the media and other people *ahem* You know, when people will do anything or say anything to detract from the real situation? Yeah. That.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

[snip]

Glad you try to make a distinction.

Back to the topic at hand....

When citizens are murdered by the police, and the state does nothing to punish the offenders, we need to take to the streets in protest. We need to make it known that we will not stand for it, black, white, red, yellow or brown.... EVERYWHERE! Not just in the US, but in China, Africa, South America and wherever.

If not, we are saying that we'll take it.

Mod Edit- removed quoted insulting material.

We're not gonna take it!!

[edit on 26-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

BUUULLLLL%$#.

We have got to stop leaning on racial BS and learn to speak the truth. It does NOT happen to white people! Seriously.

A white man can start a fight in a bar, put someones teeth out, stumble out and greet the cops with his hands in his pockets. Guess what happens to him? He'll be tasered and arrested at worse .

A black man will leave the same bar room to avoid the fight, the minute the cops see him he better put his hands in the air or he's going to get shot to death with 80+ bullets.

Does this make all cops racist? No. But there are serious pigs out there who have proven themselves in these kind of situations over and over .

Instead of being in denial about the police force making mistakes, instead of playing the race card, we need to grow the hell up and face reality. This stuff is not happening to white people and we do have pieces of $@*% in uniform who call themselves police. In this situation, the pieces of @$*% got what they wanted and the justice system was bent over and raped in front of the whole city.

You are so full of #. You think nothing bad ever happens to white people? What kind of racist are you that you think it only happens to black people? Get your head out of the sand and see the world around you. This type of stuff happens all over the country and to whites, blacks, mexicans, etc...

And it is done by whites, blacks, mexicans....etc....

As for Sharpton, that racist SOB is even threatening riots in the Democratic convention if Obama isn't chosen. Nevermind that it comes down to the delagates, if Obama doesn't win it must be because of race.....

www.city-journal.org...

Crime, not police racism, drives negative police-community relations in black neighborhoods. And until the crime rate comes down, tragedies like the Sean Bell shooting may reoccur.

After the Bell shooting, which occurred outside a Queens strip joint, critics of the NYPD followed the usual script: increasingly ugly charges of police bigotry (despite the fact that several of the officers involved were black); deployment of the threat-of-black-riots weapon; calls for convictions of the officers on the most severe murder charges; and the transformation of the highly aberrant Bell shooting into the very symbol of the NYPD. To his discredit, Mayor Bloomberg joined the rush to prejudge the officers. The day after the shooting, he declared: “It sounds to me like excessive force was used.” Even more irresponsibly, he deemed the incident “inexplicable,” thus fueling the belief that the officers could not possibly have perceived a deadly threat and all but guaranteeing that any acquittal of them would be viewed as proof that the criminal-justice system was antiblack.

But the context of the Bell shooting suggests a different picture. The undercover officers and detectives involved had been deployed to Club Kahlua in Jamaica, Queens, because of the club’s history of lawlessness. Club patrons and neighbors had made dozens of calls to the NYPD, reporting guns, drug sales, and prostitution, and the police had recently made eight arrests there.

From the same article, some info about what happened that night:

he night of November 24, undercover officer Gescard Isnora, who fired the first shots at Bell, had observed a man put a stripper’s hand on his belt to reassure her that he had a gun and would protect her from an aggressive customer. Outside the club, Isnora (who is African-American) and his colleagues witnessed a heated exchange between Bell’s entourage and an apparent pimp over the services of a prostitute, during which the pimp kept his hand inside his jacket, as if holding a gun

Feeling the danger level mounting, Isnora retrieved his gun from his unmarked car. When he returned to the scene, Bell and his two companions had gotten into their car, ready to drive away. Isnora thought that a drive-by shooting of the pimp could be imminent, and so moved to question the car’s occupants. He held out his badge (by his account), identified himself as a police officer, and told the car to stop. Instead, Bell drove forward and hit Isnora and a police minivan, backed up, and then slammed into the minivan again, nearly hitting Isnora a second time.

So he got hit by the car, in this case that would make the car a deadly weapon. Unless anyone here thinks getting hit by a car doesn't hurt or can kill you.

The barrage of 50 bullets was so fast that no witness at the scene remembers hearing more than eight rounds fired off. Bell was undoubtedly killed as soon as the shooting started, and so wouldn’t have been able to move the car forward and back and forward again, as he did. None of the officers had ever used their guns before, moreover, despite making hundreds of arrests, including for gun possession. These were not trigger-happy cops.)

Without question, the results of this episode are horrific. And the tactics stank—Isnora should never have left himself as exposed as he was. But was the officers’ perception of a deadly threat so unreasonable as to make their shooting a criminal homicide? If a judge or jury finds that they did not reasonably believe that they faced an imminent use of deadly force, then, according to the woefully inappropriate criminal code, their actions fall within the literal definition of manslaughter

You said we need to and I quote:

This is a contradictory statement. It does happen to white people. You need to pay more attention.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I hear ya guys, when OJ murdered Nicole and got away with it. I protested. I was the only one who did, but dammit, didn't have a White Reverand to back me like an Al Sharpton.

We didn't close down the city, nothing stopped. Everything just kept moving along as if no one cared.

We should all knelt one huge quilt together and a display in the streets for the world to see. I think that would make a difference! Greed-mongering and senseless killings would stop.

All we need is love, right? I could be wrong, but seems like it.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
That's 2 warns folks, now, will we get some civility here?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Why is everyone turning this into a race thing? This is about innocent people being killed by the police! If you want to use this as a means of further polarizing the population you've already lost! We need to understand, together, that we're being killed but uniformed thugs. And yes, it happens to everyone, although the percentages are different between races.

If we polarize, we can't stand together on this, and they win.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join