It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Sees 'Wave of Suicides' Using Detergent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Japan Sees 'Wave of Suicides' Using Detergent

www.usatoday.com

TOKYO (AP) — At least four people killed themselves Friday by inhaling fumes from a detergent mixed with other chemicals amid a wave of similar suicides that has reportedly claimed about 50 lives this month in Japan.
Authorities are alarmed by the sudden rise in such incidents — an average of two a day were reported in April — because the chemicals are easy to get and the fumes could spread to affect bystanders or rescuers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yikes....What the heck is going on over in Japan? Why are so many people offing themselves? This definitely appears to be an epidemic...I've never even heard of this method of taking ones life before, but it seems to be a widespread trend there!

The government has been battling to contain the country's alarmingly high suicide rate. The government said 32,155 people killed themselves in 2006. Japan has a population of 128 million.

"Suicides using hydrogen sulfide have surged in April," said Eri Okuda, a spokeswoman for the country's Fire and Disaster Management Agency. "It's so easy to obtain the ingredients and anyone can use them."

Fire Department spokesman Toshiyuki Miyake said the trend "initially started from Internet sites, where people exchanged information about how to do it."

"We haven't found an effective way to prevent it," he said.

The Kyodo News agency said its tally of such deaths reached at least 49 in April — after a monthly average of 3-4 earlier this year. No police figures were available.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Smelling the equivalent of rotting eggs is bouge. I've read helium does the trick. All you just need a special adapter for the canister and an oven bag.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well at least is a "clean suicide"

Anyway this will probably bring a banning of the sustances used in the detergent and probably will become a control items.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You can kill yourself with just about anything in the house if done in excess. Tylenol, Asparin, Drano, bleach, its all highly toxic

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think we should ban all detergents. We have to start a massive law enforcement campaign to control detergents before a black market develops. Zero tolerance policies should be implemented by all responsible public agencies. We need this now before subjects, I mean citizens, in the United States catch on and start killing themselves with these chemicals. We must do this for the children.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thanks for the tips.

You're right, i knew we would see a surge in suicides soon enough.

How sad. I could never do it. At least have never been driven to that point yet. I think if planet X does eventually become evident in the sky that people will do away with themselves...just as they have for thousands of years when the world was "ending". Do we know if these are Buddhists? or just random people?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smokingmonkey

For environmental reasons or because fo the suicide issue? You can ban all you want but there are millions of other ways to kill yourself IF you really want to and have the will and determination to do so.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Maybe just hanging cards in supermarket isles that you bring to the cashier, leave all your info, + fingerprints ?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Do we know if these are Buddhists? or just random people?

It's a safe bet that at least some of them are Buddhists - most Japanese identify themselves as both Buddhist and Shintoist.

I caught this story on the news the other night, and it seems to have spread because of the ease of getting the ingredients, as well as the combination of speed and (apparently) a painless death.

these things tend to spike somewhat in April, which is the beginning of the academic and business year. It's high stress for a lot of people - and unfortunately, stories like this tend to plant ideas in peoples heads.

I seriously doubt that it will lead to a ban on anything here. Japan doesn't work that way, at least not in my experience.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have some good information on this.

Have any of you heard of the Japanese youth who lock themselves in their rooms all day, everyday? They're called hikikomori. Look it up sometime.

In Japan there is a culture of teens and young adults who never leave their room. They do this for years on end. They stay in their rooms, play videogames, surf the internet, order their meals etc.

In Japan many young adults live with their parents because there is no stigma against like that in America. In the city the parents are usually wealthy and can support the children - therefore the younger generation doesn't work! So basically they have no life .

It's this demographic which becomes depressed. They do have suicides. It's a nation-wide problem for them. There are millions of kids like this.

I'm thinking a small portion of them let depression get the best of them and that's where these staggering numbers come from. Just a small portion of the shut-in demographic takes the plunge and 30,000+ people are on count for suicide in a single year.

So yes, it's serious. It's not about the detergent or the method they did it... it's the fact that Japan has millions of hopeless, unhappy, spoiled and shut-in youth.

America could easily be in the same situation. But our society is totally different.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hmmm, i know plenty of young people here who basically have no life either.

But, gone are the days when you could hang out downtown with your friends and go to movies and walk safely home.
Its a shame.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Many Japanese probably don't want to live under Chinese rule. If the Asian Union will be governed by China, Japan probably doesn't want any part of it.

China is still critizing Japan over the Japanese invasion of the late 1930s. Japan and China do not have much love for each other.

When the heck is that Alien invasion coming so all of humanity has a common goal in defeating them and not each other.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
or...mabe it is one big MKUltra self destruck trigger that we implanted in them like time bombs after we won WW2

WR

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

You're close to the mark, but hikikomori are not limited to any specific age or social demographic. I think you might be inadvertently mixing them with freeters. Hikikomori seems to be a linked to a social anxiety disorder - in other words, it's a mental illness.

From what I've seen on the news recently about this most recent wave, the two that stick out in my memory are of a businessman and a junior high school girl who had been bullied at school - so those two don't fit the hypothesis. The highest risk of suicides, from the numbers i've seen, seem to be the same here as everywhere else: men in their 30s and 40s. There is a real crisis going unattended there - in nearly every country in the world.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokingmonkey
I think we should ban all detergents. We have to start a massive law enforcement campaign to control detergents before a black market develops. Zero tolerance policies should be implemented by all responsible public agencies. We need this now before subjects, I mean citizens, in the United States catch on and start killing themselves with these chemicals. We must do this for the children.

Lol a very clever post.

At least I hope that was satire- others seemed to have missed it.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Heck, don't stop at detergents...American's need everything they use everyday banned...we might all kill ourselves before "they" get the chance to do it...and that would ruin all the fun!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This is a disturbing trend, and so many deaths!
The exlpaination of shut ins doing most of these suicides makes sense, but why aren't the families recognizing their kids have a problem since they are right there with them all the time you would think they would notice something before the kid takes their life!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
As said before, if someone REALLY wants to commit suicide, they WILL find a way to do it. I contemplated it for a short time when I was 16 or so. (I'm 32 now). One of my best friends killed himself, and when I saw his mother's eyes the next day, I knew there was no way I could put that pain my friend's and family's eyes. She committed suicide a short time afterwards.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Came across this today:

5 more hydrogen sulphide deaths on weekend

4 men, aged 17 to 38, one woman aged 31.

I talked to a co-worker about it over lunch, and he was surprised when I told him of the lack of suicide reporting in the Canadian media - where numbers and (especially) methods are rarely, if ever reported. His thinking - and I agree with this - is that a media blackout on this information would have probably saved a lot of lives. People now know it as an easy out, so to speak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join