It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom Tower Plans Found in Trash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
On April 18th, Mike Fleming, a homeless, recovering drug addict found blueprints for the Freedom Tower in a trash can. Fortunately for Port Authority, the man, despite his problems, was honest and intelligent enough to know what he'd found and what could happen if such plans fell into the wrong hands.

Experts say that all too often when things like this happen, it is deliberate and almost always an inside job carried out by disgruntled or just plain dishonest employees. Of course, stupidity can't be ruled out either.

Regardless of how it happened, the blueprints contained enough accurate information about critical and vulnerable components of the tower that they would have been invaluable to terrorist intent on an encore of 9/11.

Mike Fleming might have awakened on April 18th a nobody, but in my judgement, he is now a national hero, even if only for a short time.

Two sets of confidential blueprints for the planned Freedom Tower, which is set to rise at Ground Zero, were carelessly dumped in a city garbage can on the corner of West Houston and Sullivan streets, The Post has learned.

Experts said the detailed, floor-by-floor schematics contain enough detail for terrorists to plot a devastating attack.

Informed of what the homeless man, Mike Fleming, had found, shocked Port Authority officials called it an egregious security lapse.

"Violating these protocols is cause for serious disciplinary action - up to termination for employees and breach of contract and legal action for contractors," said Candace McAdams, PA director of media relations.

www.nypost.com...

ap.google.com...

WABC

Google Search

[edit on 2008/4/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Sounds like the same intentional leaking of information that happened with the Iraq embassy documents. Same MO, sensitive material just so happens to be "found in trash"....

I don't think so, coincidence is improbable, in my opinion, then again if it wasn't there would be no potential cons piracy, would there.

Thanks for the news feed Grady ole boy, missed that one.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Among many things, I am also a general Contractor, which is why I know that it is not so strange to find a set of plans around a construction site. When scheduling a build, especially one the magnitude of the Freedom Tower, many dozens of plans will be printed for a variety of reasons.

First, a set of approved plans must be kept at the site at all times. Also, every subcontractor involved will be provided a few copies of the plans so that they may design their workload accordingly. Everyone from the Framers, plumbers, electricians, fire safety, IT, and all other companies subcontracting work within the build-out will be provided a few copies.

Also, when their are changes to the plans, they must be approved by the city, and will eventually make the sets prior disposable.

I understand how sensitive the subject is, however I do believe that Building plans are also part of the public access domain.

No real story here in my opinion.

AAC

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Another discussion about this topic here as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Everything you say is true, however according to the article the blueprints contain enough data to facilitate a terrorist attack, even though the plans have since been revised.

The document was clearly marked: "Secure Document - Confidential."

Secondly, the blueprints were supposed to be destroyed according to policy, not dumped in a trash can.

"An expert in explosives, demolition or biological weapons certainly could glean enough here to develop a game plan," he said. "You can see where all the concrete walls are, where the emergency stairwells are, and the electrical and HVAC systems."

Informed of what the homeless man, Mike Fleming, had found, shocked Port Authority officials called it an egregious security lapse.

www.nypost.com...

While this breach of security will most likely not have a negative effect, thanks to Mike Flemish, it definitely had the potential of falling into the wrong hands.

And it also suggests that there may be other security breaches in the process.

I think this an important story, if for no other reason than to inform the public of just how insecure secure data is at the Port Authority.

[edit on 2008/4/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I know what you mean, considering the delicacy of the situation, this should have been handled with seemingly more professionalism, and I wish this wasn't a reality, all things considered.

AAC

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Man, why is this getting flagged to the top?? I don't see how freaking out about "terror" like the media and governments try to push into us on a constant basis is very productive.
No offense, OP, not directed at you, at all.

This "terror" crap is pushed onto us, day and night, every little thing in the US seems to revolve around "terror", giving those in charge the support they need to strip more rights from the citizens.

I mean... Wonderful, a homeless man is a hero, who saved us from certain destruction. Terror lurks around every corner!!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
LMAO. Like terrorists are going to risk all the border security so they can go through the trash cans in New York - or were they worried about the ones that live on garbage island? I think there would be easier ways to obtain blueprints for a building than routing through the trash. Was there a guy with a Turban living in that particular trash can? Serious non issue.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Maybe they ought to hire the homeless guy and fire the guy who tossed them in the trash....

You know, a sort of real-world "trading places" with an ironic twist.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Man, why is this getting flagged to the top?? I don't see how freaking out about "terror" like the media and governments try to push into us on a constant basis is very productive.
No offense, OP, not directed at you, at all.

This "terror" crap is pushed onto us, day and night, every little thing in the US seems to revolve around "terror", giving those in charge the support they need to strip more rights from the citizens.

I mean... Wonderful, a homeless man is a hero, who saved us from certain destruction. Terror lurks around every corner!!

Really. The whole thing with the Freedom Tower is a ploy for terrorism. "We'll just build a bigger and better one". Yeah that will show them. More wasted "payback" money that could be taking these bums off the street. Who are these people building the Freedom Tower and are they Americans? That should be the main concern.

As far as the blueprints are concerned. Yes, the blueprints were not properly disposed of. Is this going to be cause for panic across the "nation - world" for terrorists obtaining blueprints? Yes. Now your going to need security clearance for obtaining blueprints. Your going to need an implant for insurance. This is going to cause mass hysteria and all blueprints will contain RFIDs just in case they get into the wrong hands.

And hey this just proves if you were a dumpster diver, sometimes you can make off with some cool stuff. If I obtained these blueprints I would of kept them. You never know later on I might be living in a country controlled by the Clintons and Bushs of the world.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

It's being flagged because there's one group freaking out over a terrorist attack and another group freaking out over an inside job. At all times remember what website you're on.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This whole thread is SO ABSURD it isn't even funny. First of all, Architects toss out prints left and right, like there is no tomorrow. Everything is on CAD and is easily reproduced, literally, at the touch of a button.

As as for exposing hidden secret security information, a building doesnt get designed with ONE set of drawings. THere are multiple sets, some security, some structural, some electrical. You won't see them together until they are literally at a construction site. The author of that article has no idea how the architectural or construction process works. Those drawings would have been no threat to anyone.

The ONLY thing this thread should be beefing about is the architect wasting paper!

[edit on 27-4-2008 by jupiter869]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

You didn't read the article did you?

Everything you say is confirmed in the article.

The reason this is a story is because the plans to the Freedom Tower are classified.

How many terrorist strikes on New York does it take to convince you that it is a prime target and the Freedom Tower, which will serve the same purpose as the WTC, will be just as much a target.

While it is true that this incident could be nothing but a case of negligence or stupidity, it does illustrate a lack of appropriate security for classified material by the Port Authority.

Truly, there are none so blind and those who will not see.

[edit on 2008/4/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalTyrrant
LMAO. Like terrorists are going to risk all the border security so they can go through the trash cans in New York - or were they worried about the ones that live on garbage island?

So you think that border security keeps terrorist operatives out of the country?

The story is really about a breech of security that could make an attack on the Freedom Tower much easier if the blueprints fell into the wrong hands.

Of course, had you read the article, this would have been abundantly clear.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalTyrrant
I think there would be easier ways to obtain blueprints for a building than routing through the trash. Was there a guy with a Turban living in that particular trash can? Serious non issue.

Of course there are easier ways than placing a terrorist in every NYC trash can.

What if the homeless guy had connections, and sold the plans to the black market for a couple hundred in cash? (A sweet haul if you're homeless BTW)

These plans could've easily (and quickly) found their way to people who knew their value. And I don't mean Homeland Security or CBS News. It's a serious real issue if you ask me.

This guy deserves a reward, while the Freedom Tower site clearly needs some "housecleaning".

new topics

top topics

join