It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pentagon Strangles Our Economy: Why The U.S. Has Gone Broke

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

This is just so absolutely silly I had to give it its own post.

That's only the discretionary budget. This is the real 2000 budget, as per the United States Government Printing Office.

I don't think you'd you'd purposely try to mislead us with that silly chart, so I guess it was an error on your part. It's okay, the GPO has a Citizen's Guide to the Federal Budget that might help clear up some of your confusion.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I hate to tell you guys, but you are barking up the wrong tree, probably just what the gov't wants you to do. It's so unfortunate we don't have a financial forum here, especially since the economy has become the biggest conspiracy there is at the moment.

Our economy IS beyond strangled, and yes the cost of the war isn't helping, but the bigger story is what is going on with the mortgage CRISIS, and the bank bail outs. Ben Bernake, along with everyone in the gov't is strangling our economy over the housing/mortgage mess that the tip of the iceberg hasn't even been cracked yet on.

The Bear Sterns bailout was illegal and we are going to pay for it, we the taxpayer. The rest of the banks, are for all intents and purposes insolvent if they posted true numbers regarding the mortgage defaults, etc. Oh but unless they actually foreclose they don't have to tell us that their credit receivables have put their balance sheets under water. We the taxpayer will pay for this too. The Banking/Mortgage problem makes the war expenditures look like a kid's piggy bank.

There are a whole series of bills being introduced in the past 2 - 3 months to bailout everyone. If any of them get adopted the average guy is gonna say thank the good ole USA for taking care of me while we pay more taxes for the costs of that and sell out our financial futures to stop hurting now.

This issue is way to complex to get into and deserves it's own thread, but mark my words - this country is going under and whether or not we stay in the war has nothing to do with it at this point.

There is no real money left, there is no credit, the price of food is rising dramatically along with gas, etc. and they are starting to ration some dry goods in California. Just wait and see what's next. It won't be pretty, but war or no war, the economy is still going down the tubes.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

Exactly Relentless this more than just random cycles in our economy, it has the word agenda stamped all over it.

The manipulations of the markets, the global food shortage, the increase in oil prices all have been pushed to the limit in the last short 10 years.

Yes it may have been bad before but it just accelerated recently.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I get your point and to some point I agree that something should be done to help the poor. But it should be done in a fiscal responsible manner.

You can't say that the money allocated to military spending is dragging down the economy of this country and balloning our national debt but then condone irresponsible spending on pet projects and social programs. Irresponsible spending is just that no matter the way the money is spent.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Exactly Relentless this more than just random cycles in our economy, it has the word agenda stamped all over it.

This is nothing but a claim devoid of any meaningful support; I've seen nothing to suggest that this is unnatural, aside from some effects caused by the Fed's monetary manipulation (not to make it sound negative).

Originally posted by Bunch
You can't say that the money allocated to military spending is dragging down the economy of this country and balloning our national debt but then condone irresponsible spending on pet projects and social programs. Irresponsible spending is just that no matter the way the money is spent.

I really like this.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I get your point and to some point I agree that something should be done to help the poor. But it should be done in a fiscal responsible manner.

Well, I certainly can't disagree with that. I think the best thing to do would be to make sure that if you're working a full time job, you are being paid enough to at least support your own studio apartment without having to look for social services. The only social program we really need, and that the rest of Western society has but the US does not, is a national medical program.

Now I'm not saying that anyone should be allowed to starve to death either, I don't even care if it's just a lazy drunk. But really, most of our social ills would be solved, and crime would be reduced to a minimum, if people still got an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

I don't condone irresponsible spending in any sector. But the fact remains that far more money is wasted at the Pentagon than on any poor people. Especially considering that the Pentagon simply misplaced nearly a third of our entire national debt. Forget about wether or not you support the war or the military in general even.

And we always hear the stories about welfare queens ripping off the system and such, but the truth is that this is so greatly exaggerated that you migh as well call it a myth. I was homeless when I was in my teens. Do you know how long the waiting list was back then for housing? Eight years. I would have to live in a homeless shelter for eight years before welfare would put me up in an apartment. Not to mention the fact that the maximum housing allottment is something like $300. My last apartment was a dump, and I had to pay all utilities including the heat in that wind tuinnel, and I paid twice that. And that was the cheapest apartment I could find and a "friend" price.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

So you're angry about Social Security? You do realize that it is the citizens' money we are talking about there right? A trust fund. It's not taxes, and was never meant for the government to go playing around with. It's supposed to be insurance.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The only social program we really need ... is a national medical program.

What a silly, baseless claim. I guess I'll have to chop down the money tree in my back yard for another massive entitlement program.

But really, most of our social ills would be solved, and crime would be reduced to a minimum, if people still got an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

Is this a joke, or are you really indulging in this silly, delusional fantasy?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

So you're angry about Social Security? You do realize that it is the citizens' money we are talking about there right? A trust fund. It's not taxes, and was never meant for the government to go playing around with. It's supposed to be insurance.

Absolutely, I am angry. It's not insurance because it isn't shared risk, and it isn't my trust fund. I don't care what the intent was, it's an idiotic and damaging system. If I want to take my money out of my "trust fund" (which actually has nothing to do with you), what do they say?

They refuse.

I'm being forced to invest money against my will in some idiot's savings account. I could invest the same amount of money in CoDs, stock, mutual funds, anything will net me more money than the silly social security game.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Forget the social programs for the little guy. At this point you should be waking up to Corporate Welfare and screaming bloody murder (since they are doing it right under our noses illegally, while we just sit here and say, oh thank god for the gov't bailouts, as if it's a good thing).

The taxpayers bailed out Bear Sterns, setting a precedent to bail out more banks (who by the way are taking advantage of this now) and we the taxpayers are funding it. Bank of America bought out Countrywide cause they were going under. Why not? Now they can split off Countrywide, let it fail (probably transfer some of their own bad holdings to it first) and then they can get a bailout on that.

The financial world as you think you know it is down the tubes. Why don't you know all this? Well, maybe because you are watching TV and seeing Buffet tell you the crisis is over one day and AP reporting the crisis is not over the next day. But all most of you see is the market going up (for no good reason, because the news, the truth and the fundamentals do not support what is going on in the financial sector at all at this point).

People need to stop getting stuck on all the old things they have programmed us to fixate on so we don't notice what the government and corporate america are doing to you.

Anyone heard about both the LongShoremans Pension Fund and the Steelworkers Pension Fund being critically underfunded? The mortgage crisis was orchastrated beyond belief and it is trickling down to everything (because these were investment vehicles too) and it's bad.

Meanwhile people are setting up tent cities, and even those holding on for dear life to keep a roof over their heads are barely affording groceries let alone the gas it needs to get them.

This is all much bigger than most people realize. Watch for a collapse of the bond market or a tanking of the stock market (when they are through playing us for fools) that makes 1929 look like the good old days. They just can't hold it together much longer, that's how I see it anyway.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I'm being forced to invest money against my will in some idiot's savings account. I could invest the same amount of money in CoDs, stock, mutual funds, anything will net me more money than the silly social security game.

Well, I am forced to pay car insurance every month despite the fact that I have never had an accident. I am forced to pay a fine for not wearing a seatbelt, when a friend of mine was killed because he had his seatbelt on.

Personally, I would be alright without any government at all.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

And herein lies why these maniacs keep pushing theur endless wars down our throats---GREED. It's no wonder why they are hiring talking heads as "war salesman" to pimp out the wars, and why they won't let us leave Iraq, or why they are so desperate to start up their next war with Iran. They have become nothing but a giant BUSINESS, and death and destruction fuels their endless profiteering...Unfortunately for the rest of us, it's OUR pockets that they are emptying out to do this...

You make a valid point but the real causes for what will eventually be an all out economic crisis are being blatantly ignored by the Bush administration. Nothing is being done about the price of oil, nothing is being done to lower our dependance on oil, nothing is being done to initiate something resembling an alternative energy movement (which would help immensely). Meanwhile food rationing is already taking place in the U.S. at Sam's club stores for certain food items and anywhere else I don't know about. You have major economic crises' globally due to the food shortage and the price of oil in general, and meanwhile we are using all of our national resources on the war in Iraq?

-ChriS

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join