It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Freemasonry

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
I was wondering why it's nessecary to have such a difference in age gap between the U.S and U.K lodges - anything to do with educational placements perhaps?
Traditionally the age requirement was 21, but some states have voted to allow younger men to join. I'm more than twice the current minimum age for my jurisdiction...not an old fogey, but comfortably on my way to middle-aged. I honestly don't think I would have fully appreciated the teachings of Freemasonry if I'd joined so young. I had a lot of mistakes to make and life lessons to learn; things to figure out on my own before I felt I was ready to join. (I'd been interested, at least in passing, since I was a teenager.) Of course, that's just me. Perhaps how I was raised. I can't say. I'm sure there are younger brethren who can give Masonry the time and dedication that it deserves, but 18+ years ago I wasn't one of them.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Maybe this is something more internal to Masonry but no offense BushidoMason but I would love to see the Jurisdictions in the US go back to 21 AND to make it take 2-3 years before you even took the Master Degree. I also think a walk backwards from these one day classes for Masonry is needed as well. Most of my criticisms are not to Brothers but to the way we are doing things now. I think the Scottish Rite has been doing one day classes since it started as my Grandfather told me how his father joined Masonry and didn't take the Master Mason degree till he was Master of the Lodge. He then took a one day class about a month later and because a 32nd Scottish Rite Mason. This was in 1879.

One of the Brothers in my Lodge is 19. He is a great guy. I had no problem with him. He commented that it seemed both rushed and that once he took his 3rd Degree is was almost a let down.

I think we as Masons are going too much for quantity. Too many take the one day classes and then just become dues paying Masons.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlessard
Maybe this is something more internal to Masonry but no offense BushidoMason but I would love to see the Jurisdictions in the US go back to 21 AND to make it take 2-3 years before you even took the Master Degree.

I would argue that the age 21 isn't really traditionally. George Washington, for example, was raised a Master Mason when he was 19.

When my Grand Lodge voted to change the minimum age from 21 to 18, I was originally against it, and planned to vote against it. Then, during discussion at the GL session, a brother took the floor.

He explained that he and his twin brother had wanted to become Masons when they were 18. At age 19, both were deployed to Korea during the war. He came home; his twin brother did not.

If a man is old enough to sacrifice his life for our country, he argued, then he is old enough to become a Mason. I had to agree.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wlessard

hey none taken. I do have one question about that though. what is the difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old. i know a lot of younger men who are smarter and more on the ball then most men in their 30's, and also vice versa to that.

i joined masonry for a different reason then most of the brothers in my lodge, looking for a more spiritual path and of course as the rest of the masons in my lodge...the brotherhood as well. I know i took the one day class too and i was quite disappointed on how they skipped a lot of the degree's and only did some of them. it kinda felt like i didn't really get the full experience that it would have token to go through each degree. also they threw in the shriner degree as well. i haven't been through the York Rite Degree's and will do those most likely in the future.

I really do agree with you on the whole quantity thing too. I believe we should concentrate on having Quality over Quantity.i think in California last year we had over 1,300 first degree's. We look to much towards the number of masons that we have and most of the masons that join now days only do it because their "grandfather" was a mason. i do believe we should be a little more strict on our investigations before we confer the degree's on someone and make sure they really will be an asset to our benevolent fraternity. thats just my opinion though.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by bushidomason]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Two more question if I may.

I've noticed a few young masons on this forum, and I'm excited about the possibility of joining. Are men under 25 out of the ordinary these days though? I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to wait a few years?

Is it possible to request the traditional first three degrees instead of the class if offered?

[edit on 28-4-2008 by FuZe7]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

well i don't know as in relation to other lodges but half of my lodge is under the age of 45. our youngest member is 18 and I'm the next youngest being 19 and the next highest is 21. also the surrounding lodges around me also seem to be having an increase in young men joining as well. There certainly a lot more younger men joining now days as i have seen.

Yes do you mean the 4-32 degrees? or the Blue Lodge degree's (1 -3)

The 3 blue lodge degree's are done at a masonic lodge near you and if you want you can join the Scottish Rite and go through a weekend class and get all the way up to 32 if you want, but the first three degree's are done a lot slower, and take more time to progress to the next degree. The Blue lodge is separate from Scottish Rite and you do not have to join Scottish Rite if you do not want to when you receive your 3rd degree (master mason).

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7
Two more question if I may.

I've noticed a few young masons on this forum, and I'm excited about the possibility of joining. Are men under 25 out of the ordinary these days though? I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to wait a few years?

As of late, there has been a boom in younger men joining. My Lodge recently raised a 19 year old and 23 year old to the degree of Master Mason. And last weekend, I had the honor of conferring the 32° of the Scottish Rite of Masonry on a 20 year old.

Is it possible to request the traditional first three degrees instead of the class if offered?

Most jurisdictions actually require the traditional method. The one day class to Master Mason is a new concept, and has only been done in several states. My Grand Lodge forbids it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason
reply to post by FuZe7

well i don't know as in relation to other lodges but half of my lodge is under the age of 45. our youngest member is 18 and I'm the next youngest being 19 and the next highest is 21. also the surrounding lodges around me also seem to be having an increase in young men joining as well. There certainly a lot more younger men joining now days as i have seen.

Yes do you mean the 4-32 degrees? or the Blue Lodge degree's (1 -3)

The 3 blue lodge degree's are done at a masonic lodge near you and if you want you can join the Scottish Rite and go through a weekend class and get all the way up to 32 if you want, but the first three degree's are done a lot slower, and take more time to progress to the next degree. The Blue lodge is separate from Scottish Rite and you do not have to join Scottish Rite if you do not want to when you receive your 3rd degree (master mason).

Thank you,
I'm not exactly sure what I mean about the degrees. I read somewhere that some lodges are rushing people through classes instead of teaching them the traditional way. I would rather learn the way my ancestors did instead of taking the class.

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Most jurisdictions actually require the traditional method. The one day class to Master Mason is a new concept, and has only been done in several states. My Grand Lodge forbids it.

Oh OK,
Thanks again for the information!

[edit on 29-4-2008 by FuZe7]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

Welcome!
I completely agree with you, i do not think its a good idea to do those one day classes where you get all your degree's quickly in one or two days. i see that as a way for certain lodges to get more membership and more quantity over quality. going through each of the degree's slowly instead of the classes is the best way to go about it, because you are able to take in fully the experience of each degree and think about them for awhile before progressing to the next degree.

A mass majority of the lodges in the U.S. do not do those quick classes, but i would make sure if and before you join to see if that lodge does that. Of course this is all my opinion, but just some more info

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

If a man is old enough to sacrifice his life for our country, he argued, then he is old enough to become a Mason. I had to agree.

I have to agree completely with that one line and support 18 and up.
After all it isn't as if the standards for joining are changed otherwise.

I was 23 when I joined 18 or so years ago. I was a Senior DeMolay as well.

Some of my thinking is from research into the past. I ran across this.

www.knightsofthenorth.com...

The link for the PDF which I recomend any Mason read.

I still think that Politics should be allowed in the Lodge. I am sorry but it is so very boring in a meeting. Open Lodge, Read the Secretary's notes from last meeting, read the treasurers report, talk about new activities coming up if any, read and vote on applications for admission. Do a degree maybe. Okay done here for the night. The most lively discussion I have seen in the last 18 years was when I wanted to pay for an Internet Connection to run a Webserver for the Lodge on.

My Father always says.... "The real fun is in the Shrine" A sad statement I think.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wlessard

That’s awesome to hear that you’re a Senior DeMolay
I’m still in DeMolay just not active because I decided to be more active in the blue lodge. I was a PMC of my chapter as well
I can also agree that the stated meetings can be very boring and so forth. I personally get tired of hearing about the sunshine committee on whose sick or dying this month. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join