It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen if Ukraine and Georgie join NATO?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
With the recent news about the drone over Georgia being shot down by a Russian jet, I think we can all assume that there is developing friction between Russia and its old Soviet Satellites, not like that's new in any way. But recently I read this article (It's a few weeks old now):

www.reuters.com...

Russia has vowed to take military steps towards preventing Ukraine and Georgia from becoming members of NATO. As you all probably know, the Russian government and NATO have a belligerent relationship, so any sort of NATO installations in Ukraine or Georgie, according to this article, will prompt the Russian military to target their missiles at those two countries.

As I stated before, the recent drone incident over Georgian territory may have been an attempt by Russia to illustrate to the Georgian government just how serious they are about the presence of NATO on their borders. I believe it was an event meant to strike fear into Georgia and Ukraine to prevent a NATO membership of either of those nations from being carried out.

With that being said, how do you believe Russia would really react to Ukraine and Georgia joining NATO? And what do you think this would mean for Eastern Europe? Or the World? Could this eventually escalate into war if the situation exacerbates?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Any thoughts on this topic? Or does nobody actually feel this could escalate into a pressing matter eventually? Personally I think as long as Putin is involved in the political business of Russia this could remain a problem for ex-Soviet satellite nations in Eastern Europe becoming member states of NATO.

join