It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bees vanish- all life has 4 yrs to live on Earth

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Did it ever occur to everyone that honey bees actually hibernate during the colder months of the year?

Did you also realize that some farmers kill all of the bees in their honey bee colonies in the fall because it is easier doing so then keeping them alive thru the winter months.

This is unbelievable and to top it off one beekeeper tells of one of his friends that actually exterminates 6,000 bee colonies at the end of production season by using canisters of cyanide gas, yes you read it right.

It seems an absolute shame to do such a thing with the declining honey bee population, but economics keeping the bees alive thru the winter is the overriding factor. Is there laws against this or is this normal practice?

Here is a site to go to that tells all about honey bees especially the bees having their own language and this obviously shows high intelligence.
Rik Riley
www.downbound.com...

[edit on 1-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's not just the bees.
The song birds are dieing off and so are the bats.
We are seeing the start of many animals dieing off because of GMO and the dumping of the trash in the oceans.
There is a trash dump floating in the ocean off of California twice the size of the USA.
Another trash dump off the coast of China almost as big.
Why are we worring about global warming while the oceans are dieing from money hungry trash dumpers.

What the governments are doing seem to be in the Twlight Zone.
Here is a new Alien movie where the aliens morf into a human looking lifeform and change the planet by GMO, chem-trails, Mercury in shots and food, Fluoride in the water, and DU. What is poison to us is life for them.

Tell everybody THEY ARE HERE! Run run for your lives into the manmade caves.. Oops, they have locked the doors and we are trapped on the surface of earth. When they open the doors again only a small number of lifeforms are struggling for life and they become slaves to the NEW OUT OF THIS WORLD ORDER.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jondular

Hi jondular you are so right many animals, insects and fish are disappearing due to pollution, chemicals and disease not to mention our coral reefs.

Here is the sad part there are several kinds of worldwide polluters. The countries that know better and keep on polluting the air, soil and water and have the money to clean up the environment and big profits standing in the way of cleaning up everything. The other countries pollute the environment do not care and do not have the money to clean up everything also they think it is the way of life. There are countries that do care but do not have the money or resources to do so.

A country is made up of people we must first start with each individual doing their part to clean up their own little envirnoment at home where they live. It is also the responsibility of countries to clean up their own messes and the responsibility starts at the top on down. Speed of the leader speed of the pack.

I see a movement to go back to natural things including foods and fertilizers and we are the masters of our own destinies. Rik Riley

[edit on 2-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This is something out of science fiction, believe it or not Bees are being trained to seek out and swarm explosives. A British company is actually training these bees to detect explosives without harming any of the honey bees. What is mind boggling is that honey bees can detect the scent of different substances down to parts per trillion and the honey bees reward for finding the explosives is sugar. Just another very important reason in keeping the Honey Bees around the world alive and just think of the millions of land mines the bees can find to prevent the maiming of tens of thousands of people and children.

Wow can you imagine what this will mean for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan when it comes to booby traps with explosives and road side bombs. The using of the honey bees is like using a porpoise in water for detecting detrimental and harmful devices. For those interested in knowing more go to:

www.bioteams.com...

Rik Riley

[edit on 3-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If no one can find any independent corroboration that Einstein said this about bees, then it is likely he never said it. And as I previously stated bees were not Einstein's area of expertise, so his opinion on that matter should not be taken as absolute.

Besides, it seems that this Colony Collapse Disorder is affecting the so called 'corporate' colonies and not the wild bees. The main reason why people are not seeing bees anymore may simply be that the bee's food sources have moved away from where most people live. As our cities grow, the surrounding farmland moves farther and farther away. The bees will follow the food. So the parks where we used to see bees are no longer frequented by the bees simply because they are too far for the bees to go to.

Even if bees were to totally disappear, it would not necessarily mean the end of the human race. There are certain locales where people live that, I believe, are bee free. I am not sure, but I do not think there are large bee populations in the Himalayas, Andes or Arctic. But I could be wrong.

Would the population suffer? Yes, and many would die, but it would not necessarily mean our extinction. Just that the Sherpas, Inuit and Incas would inherit the Earth.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Clear Thinker

Hi Clear Thinker, all valid points and the Honey Bee not being native to the Americas were brought over by many peoples ancestors from the European countries. They wanted their honey and honey comb that they were use to consuming.

Many insects are necessary for the ecology of a given habitat and many are not. Bees were native to America but again not the honey bee. The Native American Indians survived without the honey bee before the settlers took their land but did not have the crops and population base we do today. We most definitely need the Honey Bee and without them life as we know it would not be the same. Rik Riley

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Are the Honey Bees being abducted by aliens? Believe it or not some think it is a possibility with millions of bees disappearing without a trace and no dead bee bodies to be found. Go to: www.ufodigest.com...

See what they have about the disappearance of the honey bee. Rik Riley

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
when i first saw this thread i thought it said BEER vanish - all life has 4 years to live on earth.

I was like omg, the end has come!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanik
when i first saw this thread i thought it said BEER vanish - all life has 4 years to live on earth.

I was like omg, the end has come!

Hi Mekanik, since you mentioned Beer.LOL The question is can you use honey in beer and can you actually brew with honey? The answer is yes because honey is a highly fermentable ingredient and not only is it used for enhancing the taste of honey it is added to beer to give beer a lighter body, but will increase sweetness as well as increase the alcohol content. Remember we need those little honey bees to help pollinate the hops that go into making beer. So you can have your honey as well as your beer. LOL

Here are a couple of sights that go into detail about the use of honey in the brewing process and the different types of honey used to make the brew. Rik Riley

www.byo.com...

www.honey.com...

[edit on 5-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

Actually honey is remarkably stable.... it can be used as a preservative and as a salve on burn wounds to prevent infection.

Yes it is fermentable BUT its a very slow process unless you add yeast nutirents to your wort. I brewed beer for several years and made mead as well every time I used honey I got execllent results but it always took longer to ferment out. An average ale would take 4 to 5 days maximum to ferment to completion but if I added honey it increased the time to 7 or 8 days depending on how much I added. It has been years since I home brewed and I forget right off hand why it takes honey longer to ferment than it does simple sugars.... I just know that it does.

I also know the results were delicious.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The title of this thread bugs me. I would like it to have a question mark or be labeled HOAX.

Show me the peer reviewed literature that suggests that "ALL" life will live for only 4 years of the honey bees vanish.

Bonus: show me the peer reviewed literature or other accepted source that validates this gem in the OPs OP (rikriley):

Approximately 80% of all insect pollination is completed by honey bees.

I call shenanigans!

[edit on 5/5/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
The title of this thread bugs me. I would like it to have a question mark or be labeled HOAX.

Show me the peer reviewed literature that suggests that "ALL" life will live for only 4 years of the honey bees vanish.

Bonus: show me the peer reviewed literature or other accepted source that validates this gem in the OPs OP (rikriley):

Approximately 80% of all insect pollination is completed by honey bees.

I call shenanigans!

[edit on 5/5/08 by stikkinikki]

You say this thread bugs you are you saying honey bees are bugs? This was a statement thought to be said by Einstein, but no proof has been made that he actually said Bees vanish-all life has 4 yrs to live on Earth. On the other hand there is no 100% conclusive proof that he did not make the statement. Some scientists say ten years and everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

If you think it is a hoax the Honey Bees dying so be it and if you think the statement needs a question mark duly noted.

As far as 80% of all insect pollination is completed by honey bees, it can be argued either way some schools of thought say slightly less. It depends on what scientist, bee keeper or bee you talk to, but to bee sure the honey bee is very important to our survival. You say shenanigans, thanks for your vote of confidence of me bringing this serious issue of the Honey Bees disappearing to the for front. Rik Riley

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I just misread this thread title as:

"Beer vanishes - all life has 4 yrs to live in Earth"

That would be a disaster!

(sorry ..... I'll let you get back to subject now .... )

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Thanks grover on sharing your experiences of using honey in the process of brewing your own beer. That is a good question why it takes longer for honey to break down then sugar for the fermentation process of beer making. Maybe it has to do with the antibacterial properties of honey. Yes I knew honey was great as an antibacterial agent for salves along with Propolis and Royal Jelly that I have also seen used in body and face cremes. Rik Riley

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

It just goes to show Mekanik from North Carolina and Essan from the UK great mines think alike. LOL Both of you seeing the word Beer instead of Bee. Thanks to our Creator for the Bees and oh yes, the knowledge of brewing Beer. Rik Riley

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
$24,000,000,000 estimated the value of crops that honey bees pollinate yearly just in the U.S. alone.

Can you believe that the honey bee is the only known insect specie to have invented artificial insemination. Read more on research being done in the Universities throughout the world for the honey bees. Rik Riley

www.cyberbee.net...

[edit on 6-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

I've only just notice Mekanik had said the same as me!

Of course, bees and beer come together (sort of) in honey mead

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have started to wonder about this after a truck load of bees overturned. It seems you can even order them on the web. They do not appear to have declined for those selling and or renting them. Also, my dog loves chasing them.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Siren

Hi Siren, believe it or not the Honey Bee is big business accounting for $285 million annually in the U.S. just from honey and beeswax not to mention the billions of dollars in pollination contribution. Bee Keepers are in high demand and their are classes across the country to attend to become one. This is a highly respected occupation and a very rewarding contribution to nature as well as mankind.

Occasionally you will see a turned over truck hauling bees and guess who they call in to rescue and recover the Honey Bees you guessed it the Bee Keeper. Rik Riley

[edit on 6-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Creative way you played me off Rik but your thread title is STILL misleading. It is a lie. You created the thread and now you must defend it or it should be labeled a HOAX.

Prove what you have stated in thread title: "Bees vanish - all life has 4 yrs to live on Earth."

We got enough mumbo jumbo trying to obfuscate climate science and evolution to name but two. Please rik. I demand the truth.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join