It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens Georgia with force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Russia threatens Georgia with force

www.alertnet.org

MOSCOW, April 25 (Reuters) - Russia warned on Friday it could use military force to protect its "compatriots" in Georgia's breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia if they were attacked.

Valery Kenyaikin, the Russian Foreign Ministry's special envoy for the ex-Soviet Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) said Moscow was "doing everything to avert a military scenario.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is terrible, but I think its a given. Eventually, right or wrong, I think Russia will use force against Georgia and Georgia will be sacrificed on the altar of European Industry. Europe needs energy from Russia, especially Germany. So, right or wrong, I think this will be inevitable.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I think alot of "comments"are taken out of context,it is just a passing comment,not a threat.Of course ANY nation will try and act "bad",it doesn't mean they will do anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hopefully your right, the world has enough problems as it is right now. We really dont need any more conflicts or crises. The least little thing like the
flatulence of OPEC ministers is enough to send commodities prices going sky high. Now imagine those prices if something "real" actually happened.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I stongly believe Russia will gradually escalate claims for Abkhazia's and South Ossetia's independence, mostly out of spite for Kosovo. Everyone in Russia and Georgia saw this comming eventually when Kosovo illegally declared independence under the unlawful military occupation by NATO forces.

Sure everyone was arguing all over the place when Kosovo declared independence, and US marveled at its power to slice appart countries without so much as a regard for consequences. Well here come the consequences. I think this was Russia's plan all along. Russia laid low after Kosovo, and did not intervene like many hoped it would. Instead Russia was already eyeing future independent states of its own domain - Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transdniester, and possibly even Crimea. And why not - if Kosovo can do why can't Abkhazia? Because US isn't there to say it can?

Honestly I don't support Abkhazia/South Ossetia independence. I do not support any further break-up of any nation. But Georgia is virtually powerless here, even with all the US military aid they receive. And the nationalistic Saakashvilli is already losing much support. So if the break away regions do decide it's time to separate, Russia will be there to back them, and Georgia will either be forced to watch, or will try to intervene and be pushed back.

This is world politics, fair or not. I think Russia has already determined if the complete break-away will happen or not, much like US predetrmined an attack on Iraq right after 9/11. All that's left to do it watch. I hope Russia does not take this road, as it will lead to more alienation from the West. But if it does, it is at least partially justified by Kosovo.

Who can give one solid reason why Abkhazia and South Ossetia (and Crimea) should not be independent like Kosovo? Their situation is much that of Kosovo.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
With everything that is happening right now, the only thing that wouldn't surprise me is project bluebeam, know what I mean?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
I stongly believe Russia will gradually escalate claims for Abkhazia's and South Ossetia's independence, mostly out of spite for Kosovo.

You hit the nail on the head there.

NATO should have expected this move from Ivan the moment they backed Kosovan independence.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
More than that, there is areason to believe Russia has a larger plan ahead. In particular - Crimea. This is one region to watch in the next few years. Basically it's a Russia enclave that is technically part of Ukraine (thanks to a knucklehead move by Khruschev), but otherwise considers itself Russia.

Crimea can be a far bigger issue in upcoming year than Abkhazia, because it is much closer to Europe and NATO, and because it is a key strategic location on the Black Sea. If Ukraine decides to take the road to NATO membership, expect to see a major independence movement in Crimea. And by major - I mean military and political support from Russia.

The instability factor in Eastern Europe increased tenfold after Kosovo's independence.

new topics

top topics

join