It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Prophecy in our lifetime!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Got this from my daily Glen Beck e-mail and found it rather interesting. I,m sure this has been debated here but, could not find it. Do the ATS'ers out there think this is coming true.

B

Special Report: Russia, Iran and Bible Prophecy

Russia, Iran and Bible Prophecy
By Joel C. Rosenberg

Does the Bible really predict the rise of a dictator in Russia? Does it really foretell the emergence of a Russian-Iranian alliance against Israel in the End of Days? And if so, is the military, political and economic alliance being formed in recent years by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad evidence that such prophecies are actually coming true in our lifetime? Glenn and I have been discussing these questions all week. But let me lay them out in more detail here for those interested in going a bit deeper.

One of the most fascinating sets of End Times prophecies in the Bible are found in the Book of Ezekiel, chapters 38 and 39. Remarkably, the Hebrew Prophet Ezekiel, writing more than 2,500 years ago, was able to look down the corridors of time and see nations not yet born, and alliances not yet formed. In doing so, he actually did foretell the rise of a Russian military alliance with Iran and other Middle Eastern countries to annihilate Israel during the earth's "last days." This is known by many Bible scholars as the "War of Gog and Magog."

In a moment, I will walk you through the prophecies step-by-step. But first, let me note that the predictions found in Ezekiel chapters 36 & 37 have already come true. These are the famous chapters that foretell:
• The rebirth of the State of Israel in the end times (both chapters)
• The return of the Jews to the Holy Land after centuries in exile (Ezekiel 36:10-11, 36:24, 36:37-38, 37:12, 37:21)
• The rebuilding of the ancient ruins in Israel (Ezekiel 36:36)
• The re-blossoming of desolate, desert lands to produce abundant food, fruit and foliage (Ezekiel 36:8-9 and 36:30-35)
• The creation of an "exceedingly great army" (Ezekiel 37:11)

Such prophecies began to be fulfilled in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, accelerated in 1948 and 1967, and continue to come to pass to this day. This, of course, raises an intriguing question: If Ezekiel 36 and 37 have largely come true in our lifetime, isn't it possible that Ezekiel 38 and 39 will soon come true as well?

WHO?
That said, let's examine Ezekiel 38 and 39 more carefully. In Ezekiel 38:1-6, the Hebrew prophet gives a list of obscure names that will form a united coalition. In my non-fiction book, Epicenter: Why The Current Rumblings In The Middle East Will Change Your Future, I carefully walk readers through these prophecies and document the historical detective work necessary to determine what modern nations are referred to by the ancient text. But here's an executive summary of the major points.
• "Gog" is described as being "of the land of Magog" and as the "prince of Rosh, Meshech and Tubal." Most Bible scholars believe Gog is not a name but a title, like Pharoah or Czar. He is a dictator who will hatch an "evil plan" (Ezekiel 38:10).
• "Magog" - Leading Bible scholars say this is Russia and republics of the former Soviet Union. The first century Roman historian Josephus said the "Magogites" were the peoples whom the Greeks called "Scythians." Scythians were a fierce, blood-thirsty civilization that settled north of the Baltic Sea in what is now Russia and the European republics of the former USSR.
• "Rosh, Meshech and Tubal" - Many, though not all, Bible scholars believe "Rosh" refers directly to Russia. Meshech is believed by many scholars to be Moscow (though some believe it refers to an ancient people group in Turkey). Some Bible scholars believe Tubal refers to the city/region of Tobolsk in Russia along the Tobol River. Others say it refers to a section of modern-day Turkey. (Interestingly, in 1964, massive reserves of oil and gas were discovered

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
in the Tobolsk region of Siberia and people now refer to the region as the "energy center of Russia.")
• "Persia" - This was the official name of Iran until 1935.
• "Cush" - Based in significant part on the writings of the Roman historian Flavius Josephus, Bible scholars today believe "Cush" refers to Sudan and Ethiopia.
• "Put" - Bible scholars are confident that this refers to the modern day country of Libya, though it may also refer to parts of Algeria and Tunisia, based on the writings of Josephus, among others.
• "Gomer" - This is modern day Turkey, though some scholars also believe it could refer to Germany and Austria.
• "Beth-togarmah" - This refers to Armenia and the Turkic-speaking peoples of Central Asia, including the Islamic former republics of the Soviet Union.
• "Many peoples with you" who will attack along "the mountains of Israel" - Other countries will be involved in the coalition as well, notably countries that border the mountains of Israel. This includes Lebanon, Syria and possibly Jordan.

It should be noted that conspicuously absent from the list is Egypt and Iraq (typically referred to in Scripture as Babylon or Mesapotamia). This is noteworthy since Ezekiel was writing the prophecy in the City of Babylon, in the heart of Iraq. We would have to expect, then, that neither Egypt nor Iraq will participate. Egypt, of course, signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. Iraq is now so engrossed in its own internal struggles that it would be unlikely to join a coalition to destroy Israel in the next few years. We are, therefore, living in the first window in human history in which neither of these historic enemies of the Jewish people are likely to be involved in the next major Middle East war.

WHAT?
Ezekiel 38-39 explains that the Russian dictator known as "Gog" will develop an "evil plan" to attack and destroy Israel and seize her wealth. He will begin to build an enormous military coalition, comprised of the countries described above. He will make extensive preparations to strike. When the time is right, Ezekiel says Russia will then deploy this coalition against Israel in a show of overwhelming force, coming against the Jewish State "like a storm."

The Bible makes it clear that when this "War of Gog and Magog" begins, no country will come to Israel's defense. Not the United Nations. Not the European Union. Not even the United States. Israel will feel utterly alone, and her enemies will be convinced that they are on the verge of an historic victory in which the Jews will be wiped off the map once and for all. But Ezekiel then says some supernatural will occur. The God of Israel - the God of the Bible - will bring judgment upon the enemies of Israel, beginning with Gog, the dictator of Russia. The Lord will trigger a massive earthquake in which "all the men who are on the face of the earth will shake at My presence." Gog's forces will turn against one another, and then they will be subject to pestilence, torrential rains, hailstones, and even fire from heaven. Israel will then capture her enemies weapons and burn them for seven years and it will take seven full months to bury all the bodies of Israel's slain enemies, so great will be the devastation.

WHEN?
When will all this happen? We don't know for certain. But Ezekiel gives us several important clues. First, Israel will be a country again and Jews will be regathered to the Holy Land. Second, Israelis will be "living securely" before the "War of Gog and Magog," though the Scriptures do not go so far as to say that they will have comprehensive peace treaties with their neighbors. Third, Israel will have a measure of economic prosperity, according to the text. And fourth, Ezekiel 38:16 says explicitly that all these events "will come about in the last days" (that is, before the Battle of Armageddon).

In closing, let me be clear. Yes, Israel has been reborn as a country for the first time in 2,000 years. Yes, a dictator

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
dictator is rising to power in Russia that seems "Gog-esque." Yes, Russia and Iran are building an alliance today for the first time in 2,500 years. Yes, Russia and Libya are now building a new alliance. Yes, Iran is threatening to wipe Israel "off the map." Is all this conclusive proof that the "War of Gog and Magog" will happen soon, much less in our lifetime? No, I don't think we can make that assessment. Not yet, at least. Much more will have to happen to be sure. But can we rule out the possibility that this prophetic war could happen in the not-too-distant future? No, I don't think we can.

As for me, I don't want it to happen at all. But no man can stop what Bible prophecy says will come to pass. The most we can do is to be ready when it happens, and find ways to care for those in the Middle East and Russia who will be victims of this terrible war.

Joel C. Rosenberg is the New York Times best-selling author of political thrillers like Dead Heat, his latest novel. He is also the founder of The Joshua Fund, which provides humanitarian relief to Israel and her neighbors. For more information on this topic, you may wish to read Joel's non-fiction book, Epicenter: Why Current Rumblings in the Middle East Will Change Your Future

MODS: I replied to myself as i had no idea how to get the whole article in here.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hi anotherdad,

Well, I have to say that according to Biblical prophecies (and I am limiting myself here specifically to the ones in the Torah, or "Old Testament" since there are no recognized prophets in the Greek Bible or "New Testament") there certainly seems to be a lot of things falling into place that suggest we are indeed approaching the "End of days." Aside from the recognized Prophets, I think reading the book of Daniel is of particular importance with regard to this topic (and specifically the latter parts of the book after Daniel was "retired" from his service to Nebuchanezar when the proverbial "handwriting on the wall" was shown to Nebuchadnezar's heir Belshazaar (which was similar to Daniel's diaspora name with the exception of one letter). What is interesting is that Daniel is not considered a Prophet according to the Hebrew scholars and sages, he was a contemporary of Ezekiel and Haggai according to historical accounts. What Daniel is reffered to as is a "Baali Ruach Hakodesh" which is a hebrew term which means "master of Divine Inspiration." In the books of the Prophets it is always stated that "God spoke to" so and so, whereas this language does not appear in the book of Daniel. I'm not going to quote the entire book, but Chapter 10 is of particular interest. I think that the writings of the Prophets provide the most impressive information about the "Geulah" or redemption than say The Book of Revelation, but many Hebrew scholars argue that the Book of Revelation (in the "N.T.") seems to be in line with classical Hebrew Eschatology, but there is some question as to how reliably it has been translated. Anyhow, interesting stuff, and I think of great importance for any "person of faith" to study. I would suggest doing so initially without any commentaries, as to let the flow remain uninterrupted, then going back with *reliable* cmomentaries to pull out the deeper meanings.

Peace,
Hexagram23

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hexagram23

so many people want these 'end times' to come. Every generation thinks something somewhere points to it being their time. Take a step back and ask yourself if you are trying to relate current events to whatevers in the bible.

that said, the bible says to stone gays,so Id take whatever you are reading in there with a grain of salt.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I thought I heard this was going to be profiled tonight on Glenn BecK at 7.
SOunds good I might watch..but I don't see anything new in what has been posted. I have heard these from pulpits of 3/4 churches over last 30 years. I do agree this is a central prophecy often overlooked as people focus on antiChrist ect. The exact placement of War of Gog/Magog is not certain other than facts you mention. It could precede the 7 year tribulation period.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple

Hi bknapple,

Well, I certainly never said that I particularly want the "end times" to come. I do know what you mean, I was raised as a fundamentalist evangelical christian, and it often seemed to me like there was a kind of "lust for the apocalypse" that seemed to be the basis for a lot of what was being preached. I personally try to keep an open mind, I was a student of comparative religion as a result of growing up in a fundamentalist environment, and that lead me to try and understand the many manifestations of the human desire for spirituality. It certainly opened my eyes and broadened my horizons. I guess the thing is, whether I believe in it or not, there just might be an "End of Days" type of scenario that will eventually happen. This is described in many ways in virtually all of the world religions, the vikings called it Ragnarok, the Hindus have their Kali Yuga, etc. etc. Anyhow, I'm just saying, within the context of what the OP was referring to (which was specifically Biblical prophecy) there is a strong case to be made for such a thing being well on it's way. But, unlike the closed-minded individuals I grew up with, I do not think there is any benefit whatsoever to beating people over the head with your particular spiritual beliefs. It is true that every generation thinks they are the last, but somehow it hasn't motivated any generation to get cracking and fix a lot of the negative human characteristics we see so blatantly expressed generation after generation. Sorry if you took offense to my post, and I certainly never said that gays should be stoned-- I'm going to resist the temptation to make a marijuana joke here

Peace,
Hex23

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hexagram23

Comepletely agree. I didnt want to make it seem like you concurd with the bibles views on gays. I just wanted to point out the bible is as wild as it is real and literal. At some point people have to look at it like a very good Stephen King novel. Believe all you want, thats your right. But there are those who really do want the end times to come. And from those people, we have the bible whackos who I ,personally, am scared of.

you obviously arent one of those.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The problem with prophecies is that you don't know exactly what they refer to until after the event, which make prophecies useless.
You can pull out each line of them, twist them like a corkscrew into your view of modern events, but then 100 years ago and previous and previous, someone has done the same thing.

I'm sure 60 years ago, there was someone who was looking through Ezekiel and matching him to Hitler or Stalin. Before that Napoleon

new topics

top topics

join