It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Really that Bad?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

maybe you truly do live within your means, and still find it difficult, but if that is the case, wouldn't have stockpiling, gardening, and alot of the "paranoid" preparations some of us make, alleviate your situation? Other than that, for your situation...not working.. you seem to be making out pretty well and should be happy with your circumstances.

I admit food prices are higher and with 2 growing boys, I do spend more at the grocery store on the basic staples of milk, eggs, butter, bread and cheese... but everything else I buy generic store brands, I clip coupons and shop sale circulars and store deals. Fruits and veggies, I buy cheaper than the grocery store from our local farmer's markets, plus my two month old garden has already supplied us with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and a variety of herbs.

Gas prices higher... yep, only alternative public transportation which I know some of us don't have or less driving in general. Plan your trips out to be the most efficient, what else can we do other than start bike riding...
Gas prices are high but I think many of us fail to see what a luxury owning and driving a car everyday is compared to everyone else in the world. We've gone from one car families to 2-3 cars per family and we take it for granted that and feel entitled that we should all be speeding on the roads, obviously that is not way nature intended it.

oh and so you don't take it personal or think I was addressing you specifically, I brought the hair and nails thing because on our local news there were people being evicted and complaining about living paycheck to paycheck but they all had cellphones, cars with rims, well manicured nails and freshly done nails....

maybe you're the exception to the rule, but if we're truly honest with ourselves and our needs, there are many many things we have, use, buy that we really don't need to survive.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Worldwatcher,

I'm going to end it here. Its obvious, with all due respect, that you have a vested interest in BIG corporations, this administration, or you wish to go back full circle and live (paraphrasing you) somewhat of a pauper existence.

Good day.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

If you got that from my response.. then I'm just sorry. Maybe the whole english thing again.. I don't know, but you are way off base. We're on totally different ballfields, so I'm taking my bat and going home.

actually I'm curious as to how you formulated that opinion of me from my above posts... show me where and how my statements suggest support for big business and the bush administration

[edit on 4-25-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is one of my few posts so I'll try to keep it simple. What I've seen since coming of age in 1991 has been a pattern of migration for me. I started out as a factory worker for a few years until the plant closed. Did that two more times while NAFTA kept sending the jobs elsewhere. I had a cheap computer and taught myself how to work on the hardware and operating system. Moved to the city and did tech support until the call center closed. I moved 400 miles to work at another call center until my small family grew larger than my check could afford.
I learned to drive a truck and put in my time over the road until I could get a local job. When 9/11 happened I couldn't sign up for the military so I moved 450 miles from Dallas to the New MExico oil fields to help haul "OUR" oil to do my little part for energy independance from those "evil forces."

Even being an oilfield worker the inflation still hits hard. There is no public transport out here so I sold my house and got a rental closer to my job. I ride my moto every day year round in all weather to save on gas. We buy generic and in bulk to save on groceries. My new house has room for some planting space so I'm getting some veggies and herbs going.
I know some of the homeless and less fortunate folks here so we try to help out with what we can....keeping the kids fed, clothed, parents getting better work or weaned of the darn meth that pervades this area. We have plenty of jobs here with few folks able to pass the drug tests so if it's bad where you're at there's money to be made out here, but sell your big vehicle because gas is 20 cents higher than the national average here for some reason.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Gas prices higher... yep, only alternative public transportation which I know some of us don't have or less driving in general. Plan your trips out to be the most efficient, what else can we do other than start bike riding...

WORLDWATCHER,
You simply do by the nature of your posts here today. You make references that most people want things they dont need. You mention that you dont mind going back to just existing (my words), after all, others dont have all the stuff we have, so basically why should we? You mention ( i'm just trying to recall without looking), all kinds of stuff insinuating that if other countries dont have stuff like we do, we should learn to do without also.

I may be wrong, in which case i apologize and shall go running to my doctors for my meds ( i ran out today)- Seriously, that is how i have read your threads. Again, i may be "convenience" reading- in any case, it just didnt sound like you.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
wORLD WATCHER,

nope. that quote above shows your apathy and indifference for gas prices being so hiked.
Sorry, but you do sound like you chose to go with the flow, therefore, you insinuate that you dont root for the people, you are rooting for the evil doing government.

Again,

Just re checking, because i had to.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajKarma
It's amusing reading this thread and the responses. I keep referring to the 3% that own the world and the 30% who are their Minions, their "Servile Favorites", which amongst others are State and Federal Employees and those who by whatever means feed at the public trough/throat.

I work for the state and if I’m part of this “Servile Favorites” then we are in a lot of trouble. I also use to be a Federal employee. No one ever got rich working for the government. The benefits are good, but that is offset by the lower pay. I worked as a contractor for a few years also. The pay was much better, but that was offset by the cost of retirement and health plans.

In the long run working for the government is about equal to working for a company. It just depends on if you want more cash or better benefits.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The US government plan for a New World Order began the day Kennedy was Assassinated and Johnson took office. George Bush Senior is the grandfather of the US version of NWO or NWO Blue. He was head of the CIA when Kennedy was assissinated and spoke out against NWO policies (the video is on YouTube).

Every administration (with the exception of Reagan) since the middle 60s, have sought and implemented NWO objectives according to schedule.

The goal is turn each continent into Unions and then consolidate those Unions under one government powered by the United Nations (which was established during the Clinton administration).

NWO objectives cause a large gap between rich and poor with no private middle-class sector. It aims to control a single population under police state laws. If you are not rich, then you will most likely be poor and working for someone who is rich.

The NWO Blue model is a form of 'light' Communism. The NWO Red model, or China's hemogonistic version of NWO has more strict laws, rules and regulations adherant to thier long-time Communist model of government.

You are being sold out on purpose. Illiegal Aliens from Mexico were allowed to come and stay on purpose so it could be an excuse to form the North American Union (why not? The Illegials are here anyway, right?).

George Bush and NWO architects aren't fooling everyone. Barrack Obama and Bill Clintion are also henchmen of the NWO.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I DO LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS- however, the food shopping experiences lately have been heartbreaking. $200.00 here in Cape Cod for a little food for the week. Heating oil close to $600.00 a month. Gas thru the roof.

If you are paying $600 a month for heating oil you have a problem. Unless you are heat a REAL big house or tiring to heat an open barn you should never get that high. I would suggest you replace that oil burning heater with a new heat pump and add good insulation.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I would venture to say that the sort of people who generally argue that everything is just fine and that there is nothing to worry about, are the same people who still have jobs and are completely brainwashed by consumerism. The people who are more concerned with the American Idol results than anything we might talk about here on ATS. The people who "would just die" if they had to drive a car more than a few years old and couldn't buy matching shoes for their $600 Coach bag imported from China.

Things are slipping. I am watching middle-class people now, being pushed over the precipice and into the abyss of poverty. I am not going to argue that poverty in America is quite as bad as in other parts of the world, yet, but there is no excuse for people to go hungry in the most powerful nation on Earth.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It cost me and some neighbors with comparable homes, and my son, an average of $600/month this year to heat a 3 bedroom house. They kill us here because they justify anything that has to be transported over "the bridge" as a luxury item in this penninsula.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

We actually have lower unemployment right now than we have had in recent years, let alone in the early 80s.

Keep in mind that those that were employed had better jobs. Much better jobs. Jobs with benefits. Jobs that paid a living wage. Jobs that you could retire from after thirty years. Jobs that you could support a household on at 40 hours a week instead of 80.

Also keep in mind, that those figures do not reflect the long-term unemployed. Got a chart for that? The number of people who are no longer counted as unemployed because they haven't been able to find a job in six months.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

If the stores closed tomorrow I have food stored, food growing, a river and lake to catch fish, and a mountain to hunt elk, rabbits, and deer off of.

And every starving person from the city will fan out to nice places like yours to wipe out your crops, drink your stream dry, and eat every piece of meat in the woods.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

Should we give to food banks?

YES!!! I am living off of donated food once again this week, and it is running out...

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

The Winter before the one that just passed, it cost me almost a thousand dollars to heat a crappy apartment without going over 55-degrees on the thermostat.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Here is how bad it was not too long ago, but it has gotten worse, and it is getting worse a lot faster now...

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 25 Apr 2008 at 08:36:57 PM GMT is:
$ 9,334,560,913,805.06

The estimated population of the United States is 303,874,811
so each citizen's share of this debt is $30,718.44.

$9 Trillion is a bargain!

Sadly, it's worse than that. Do an internet search for "53 trillion GAO analysis" and you will find pointers to a Government Accounting Office report estimating that our long-term total U.S. dept is a "minimum" of $53 trillion dollars (in 2006)!

That's a per-household dept of over $440,000 or $400,000 per full-time worker.

For the math-wise, a million seconds equal 12 days. A trillion seconds equal 32 thousand years. $9 trillion is a lot of money. $53 trillion dollars is a huge lot of money.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The most important thing to realize, is that the collapse of our economy is inevitable. It is going to happen, in all certainty, the only question is when. The way our economy operates, there is simply no other way, and there is nothing that can actually be done about it. All we can do, is hope that no one ever installs this sort of economy again, and that some of us survive to remember that lesson.

Watch this video to understand how our economy operates...

Google Video Link

Here is the original thread I posted it in...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...with a particulalry nasty debate across those pages.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. I haven't even read your post yet, but your title says it all. I say NO! It is not that bad. I think people who believe that we live in the worst of times are ignorant of history, mired in their own sense of impotence and stagnation, both, or something worse. The fact is that we (especially America and Westernized nations) live in a time of extraordinary individual freedom. Technology has advanced to make our lives so much easier. We have air conditioning in our homes and work places, refrigeration to keep our (plentiful) food fresh, electricity, advanced modes of transportation, modern sanitation, indoor plumbing, irrigation, computing, mass transportation, civil engineering, the welfare state, healthcare (broken, but PRESENT), dental care, and SO MUCH MORE. One reason I'm so reticent to embrace the conspiracy culture with open arms is because of how innately pessimistic it is. Sure, it's not all good--atrocities seem to be as much a part of humanity as sex and money, but we all have so much to be thankful for for living in the here and now. Sure we also utilize our technology to kill ourselves, but we have the means--too--to use everything we have to preserve ourselves and steward the Earth. I'm glad I live in 21st century America and not 17th century Russia, 10th century England, 4th century Africa...where you were born into the wealthy, empowered, educated groups OR you worked poor and subjugated and died much the same way. We live in wonderful times. We should all turn off the (bad) news and reflect on that once in a while.

Since your post is strictly about America, I'll address that too. No, it is not. I imagine most people who will claim that these are the worst years of our country's history aren't blacks,women or gays, though. Or Chinese...Japanese...Irish...
Our Union nearly dissolved in the Civil War. Our nation almost never existed in the midst of the Revolution. Our nation (and the world) might have been annihilated in the midst of the Cold War. Information and education are abundant for those who desire it, as is entertainment. Jobs are there too (though I do believe we are in a full blown recession and the job market is not the best). Hell, thanks OP for making me pull these latent feelings from my mind, think about them, write them and smile about them!

[edit on 26-4-2008 by Threadfall]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join