It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't people value their education?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Not every person have same potential or interest. Every student interested in specific subjects so their interest in that particular subject compares to others is far high.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Schools are designed to babysit humans up until 18.

Keep their minds occupied.

And country that large amounts of young people just running around doing nothing is dangerous.

Sadly even after high school these kids have to worldly skills.

Form the amount of time they spend in schools, you would think a little more common sense would come out of it.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Anonymous ATS

Thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Frankidealist35

Mostly because people learn best by actually doing stuff and our education system is designed as an endless prep-for-test loop. The target is the certificate of completion and not much else. I met a guy last week with a degree in mechanical engineering who couldn't work out a simple trig problem. Claimed he "never had to use it." I asked him if he worked for Google.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Your post lured me out of lurking. I haven't been active in the forums for quite some time. (Mainly because of politics) But an education is not only school as many have said, it's also life. That's why they call it life's lessons. I dropped out of High School early on in my Junior year, joined the military and found out that education is a multi forked road. I retired after 31 years, the first in my class and Family of 6 siblings to do so (And I'm the Baby!). All at the ripe old age of 48.

I earned and kept up my certifications during that time. I never stopped being educated the entire time and am still schooled in many subjects to this very day. The way I see it is that there are, "People", "Simple People", "Stupid People" and the "Willingly Stupid People". I have no patience for the latter category. The rest can be educated or can educate me. The saying goes, "Ya don't know what ya don't know."

Being certified in a given field is still an education. And being certified cost less than a degree, thereby allowing the individual to earn money and advance, even open their own business (Being their own boss) so much faster.

Don't worry about those who don't value their education. You'll probably be employing them at some point stocking your shelves or what have you. Good luck in life. Remember though, it's not fair.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think too many people go to college and are told that their crap degree will be an instant 100k+ year job, so they go in debt 40 to 60k with that brass ring waiting for them at the end. When they get out of college they find that their brass ring is about as worthless as being head fryer at BK.

There is an interesting Ted Talk about intelligence and IQ. A person with a 115 to 125 IQ can lean something within a very short period of time where a person with a 85 to 115 (70% of the population) could take a very long time with a huge number of iterations to learn the same thing. People on the lower side of this "normal" IQ range fare better in life to learn a repetitive skill that they can do well or even masterful. Build kitchen cabinets for 10,000 hours and see what happens.

What colleges have done to screw over the population is they have dumb down degrees so that anyone can go and be successful in attaining those degrees but it makes them worthless on the job market in the process. What this does is flood the job market with people that have no skills with a degree that doesn't line up with anything out there, and the colleges do this for profit only, so don't think they care.

In the end we need more people to go into trade skills and be successful while supporting society with very important skills that have been lacking lately. I had a plumber come by and I think he charged me 270 per hour...lol so don't think that people with trade skills and just a HS education will live poorly.

edit on 27-12-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aay1K0
Not every person have same potential or interest. Every student interested in specific subjects so their interest in that particular subject compares to others is far high.

And not everyone can learn as well either. My son who is in an EE degree program at a top engineering school was about 3.7GP in HS, long time girl friend was one of the valedictorians with like a 4.05. The difference was she took all easy courses and my son took everything that was advance. As they are now in their second year of college my son pretty much has breezed though with about a 3.6 GP with top grades in his math classes while his girl friend would cry at my kitchen table unable to understand math well under pre-calc.

I agree that interest/drive is huge in all things in life, but watching my son's girl friend try to tackle something that was beyond her physical capabilities shows us that "potential" can be an unassailable brick wall.

edit on 27-12-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Let's break down education and wisdom..some people are both with one and some with both, it's the toss of providence. How one uses it is another story.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

The saddest part is people with IQ's below 80 who can't really learn to do anything useful at all, no matter how much you try to train them.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: Xtrozero

The saddest part is people with IQ's below 80 who can't really learn to do anything useful at all, no matter how much you try to train them.

That can only be your limited opinion...we know so little neurologically of what we are capable of...and we are doing it all wrong.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In the coming age. I believe, people will need to re-educate and re-invent themselves a number of times in their life times.
Let's hope the 2020s give us some cool new things to learn, so we can automate what we already know.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
In the coming age. I believe, people will need to re-educate and re-invent themselves a number of times in their life times.
Let's hope the 2020s give us some cool new things to learn, so we can automate what we already know.

How far do we take automation and eliminate the humanity?

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
To it's logical conclusion. Hopefully so the humans can be put to more interesting tasks.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Unfortunately, wanting something to be true with all your heart isn't the same thing as knowing truth. Below the 10th percentile, there isn't a lot of learning going on in any of the traditional senses of the word.

I don't have an issue with loving them anyway, but that doesn't mean we should pretend they are the same as everyone else or that they can be easily trained or "retrained."

One of my biggest pet peeves with my liberal friends is the notion that all the coal miners can be retrained to program computers instead. It is simply untrue for those on the lower end of the cognitive population -- even if their IQ is closer to 90. Biology doesn't care about equality of opportunity and our civilization isn't set up to honor or support the simple, slow or cognitively impaired.

The sooner we recognize the fact that our economy is trending toward cognitive complexity and that it *will* produce more obvious casualties than ever before, the better.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The best education anyone will ever receive is life itself......it requires no tuition.

You start learning the minute you are born. A wise man once said....if you learn just one thing new everyday, you will grow to be a wise old soul.
edit on 29-12-2019 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Seeing as how I have little interest in anything beyond part-time work when my kids can handle being home by themselves in a few years, before I consider full time when they're adults (I signed up to be a mom for 18 years, not a working mom) I can be more honest than most as an outside observer and what's wrong with pitching college as a catch-all solution to life.

It's not one unless you have a serious, obsessive passion for the field you're studying. Anything else is eventually being in it for the paycheck, not the career.

The perk to college education isn't the pay, because the pay isn't that much better anymore. It USED to be, before the colleges were flooded with people flooding the popular fields. Thus, those fields have lost value, nobody's getting paid high wages anymore now that it's saturated to high hell.

IT used to be a go-to in the late 90's with high pay. The bulk of IT (which itself is a catch-all name covering various degrees of IT work) doesn't pay much better than working in a factory does. Why the F would I want to spend the money for that to earn the same or barely any more?? Not to mention it's just not an appealing industry, at least not for me. Let the kids who don't know it's a depleted income from it's former fast money 90's glory do it. Ignorance works out in their favor there, they think they're making bank with a degree. Lol, my brother sure was when the industry exploded back then. Now, nowhere near that income, anywhere. He's a prime example of watching an industry over 15-20 years become overloaded and over-saturated. And overrated.

Marketing also used to be a high paying career. It's absolutely not anymore. I have a mild interest in that, but you will not convince me to study for it, because it wouldn't be worth the money & time spent. It's already flooded with students, being a common career path. Same thing with Visual Design. That one's almost comical anymore.

I see the same beginnings in Data Analysis. Those analysts that are such hot jobs right now are drawing people like moths to a flame. Those classes will soon enough be inundated, the industry flooded with n00bs with degrees, and thus they're going to be every bit a dime a dozen as IT and so will the lowered wages. Sure, get in NOW and you can make bank on it, but in 20 years, it's going to be the same end result as every other fad job -- overloaded, over-saturated, and overrated.

Therefore, seeing as how there's a pattern with "high paying" and "popularity" that doesn't bode well for the long term, my take on college is it's only really worth it to take on the debts and stresses if you're truly head-over-heels in love with your major. After that, if you have the means, then be educated for the sake of personal achievements, not money. That, IMO, is how college really should work, it should be where the high knowledge, little to no-paying stuff is learned. Anything else should be on-the-job apprenticeships and interning to acquire the needed knowledge and competence.
edit on 12/29/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

When you look at the quality (value) of the education they are being offered its no wonder they aren't interested. Kids today are also growing up in a world where you can be kardashian famous, for virtually any indiscreet act, and get rich without being able to form complete sentences.

Seriously, how many kids today would choose common core math over youtube pranks? How many teenagers would choose pc toxic masculinity indoctrination over a career on youtube?

If you are sexy enough and don't mind showing it, or, you don't mind making an enormous fool of yourself, you can get rich the quick and easy way with a cell phone and a few thousand moron followers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join