It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on the new XP service pack release? (SP3)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just wondering if any one has any opinions on SP3,

Reckon its worth it? SP2 was useful.

Starting April 29, all Windows XP SP2 users should upgrade to SP3, if only to get a complete set of Windows XP patches installed.
Link

microsoft s PDF on XP3

[edit on 25/4/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I've no idea what's in it but I'll give you my best guess....

a couple weeks ago MS worked out a deal with the computer companies to keep XP for their lower end bargain machines...
MS is going to mold together XP home and pro for this single XP version...

Now my guess is they will include all the media goodies that came with pro but none of the networking goodies.... they will also tweak XP to run the current gen of 64 bit machines but other wise SP3 shouldn't be near as large as was SP2 was...

The up side to this news is... this cant be the last update for XP not now their going to keep it in the offerings... we long time XP users can look forward to a few more years of updates... at least until vista get replaced with??? who knows...

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Except for Windows Installer 3.1, I don't see anything that will benefit me in the least, but I like to keep my OS up to date.

I have readily installed the previous service packs without any problems.

There are always those who can't manage to install anything without a major meltdown, but allowing for the hysterics, if the word is generally good, I will install it right away.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well I guess its a good way for them to make sure every XP machine that installes this has all the updates done. Maybe more home users would take notice of this if they did all their updates instead of the guy at the computer shop down the road (that me) - for those of you that dont know what Im talking about: Try doing 100 and something Xp updates only for it to crash the computer lol and do it about twce a week. lol

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I installed SP3 on Tuesday when Microsoft pushed it out.

The installation went off without a hitch and I have noted not one single problem since.

In fact, I would be hard pressed to suggest any difference at all in the performance of my computer.

new topics

top topics

join