It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Stimulus Package - Was It A DEAL or DUD? SOUND OFF

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by md11forever

Welcom to ATS Md11! Sorry for the one liner!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Amen to that ludaChris.

Sure, the money will help out. I'm thinking of getting a used car from someone. My vehicle is need of lots of repair. A small car would save some gas too. I was thinking of combining it with tax money, side job money, and saved money and see what I can get.

Also, I want to make some investments in my business ventures. My work a low paying, dirty job, and quite honestly I am not staying there.

My credit card debt might see some more money. But, I'm not going to sink a lot of it there. Crooked banks! A vehicle is more important. They will get more money when I'm doing better financially, at which point I would like to pay the debts off and tell the creditors to get lost.

But, I do not see this stimulus as a solution to our problems.

1) I don't trust Bush's motives for anything. Didn't we get lied to about 911 several years ago? He let us believe the official stories.

2) Our government has terrible money management skills. Let's sink all our money into a damn war, I mean, go into deeper debt for a damn war. Plus, we have big financial institutions putting us deeper into debt. Whoever is lending us this money, I'm guessing they will make a lot of money on inflating the debt with things like interest.

We need to fix what got us into this financial mess in the first place.

Will the stimulus payment help? Sure, to some degree, but it isn't really a solution. A solution would be backed up with a plan of action to actually and factually heal the economy.

Troy

[edit on 26-4-2008 by cybertroy]

[edit on 26-4-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think it's neither a dud or a good idea for the overall economy. From a person to person standpoint however, I believe it's a good idea. Think about it, if you're in a bind currently and could really use some extra cash, it's a nice little helping hand. If you're not in a bind, it's also a nice thing to have because it may help you either get a little security net under yourself or provide a little boost to your day. Most people really do enjoy throwing a little money around, unless you're one of those rare tight fisted people that squeeze a nickel so tightly the buffalo poops. As for me, our bills are paid and we're doing fine, but my son's birthday is coming up so part of this will go towards a couple nice gifts for him that I otherwise might think twice about (or at least have to budget for a couple weeks in advance), we'll do a little home improvement, and the remainder is going into the growing rainy day fund.

I really am depressed to see how many people still disdain the idea of a savings. Even if you're living paycheck to paycheck, most people can save $10 or $20 bucks a check. Generally speaking, for those types of people this rebate should be an excellent chance at fattening up their piggy bank. If you fall in the "just 1 or 2 paychecks away from being homeless" category, then you most likely live in a place where your rent/lease/mortgage is under $1,000 a month. For a family of 2 adults, that means this rebate check can remove you from that list and give you a one month buffer, if saved, plus a (very) little bit extra for food and such.

Not the most uplifting thing to do with extra money, but certainly prudent and wise.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This so called "stimulus Package" is a joke. Did ya know you're gonna have to pay taxes on it? $600 isn't going to solve my problems! All I can do with this tiny amount of money is pay bills! I sure as heck an not going to go to the mall and by anything! I can't afford it!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
$600 would help every America

Yep.

Every Pron, or Drug Addict out there just got a big bounus check...

This isnt free money, the goverment is giving us back some pocket change, out of the Trillions it has stolen from the public.

So yea... drug Dealers are all very happy... ER are going to be swamped with people OD'ing off thier rebate money...

Good times.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
George Walker Bush is unfortunately too dense, too ignorant of facts, too mentally impaired, too unintelligent, too low of an IQ rating, just too . . stupid to authorize and pass any sort of meaningful, good bill that will actually help people. He may try... but try in vain.

What really happened is, the architects of his policies are the same Baboons that are writing his rough draft bills and so forth, and are cleverly passing off "relief to the people" .. but what it truly is, is massive money to the big companies and corporations. They are going to get a WAY more massive stimulus check than any family. Their rationale for this? "Oh .. the Companies will spend this on new employment opportunities!" LAUGH. Give me a break...

More like, "Oh.. The Owner of the Companies will add this to his coffers." Coffers that never get opened, that never see the light of day, that will still be there after his death, stagnant .. coffers that could change the lives of millions of people ..

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Awesome thread! I was goig to start a thread jsut like this!
Short term, and what utter bull. I read in the paper months ago, about this stimulus package. Bush quoted, It will make our ecenomy come back stronger than before. The governemnt also stated, in this article, the only fear they have, is that people will not spend the money, but rather, invest or save it. That got me peeved, reading that. Its MY money, thats how it works, ect. The same to all who have any money, its yuors to do with as you please... But Bush and government seem to want us to spend it as fast as possible. I don't see much of a gain, because of ecnomic inflation.
Proof of this, is for those that watch the NASDAQ when signing on, or news. Government bailed them out, Bear and stern? went up, looked good, now thier dropping again.
If they wanna give us money, cool shouldnt complain
But, to be honest $600 donst really get much these days.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Oh its undoubtly a dud, a farce and a total joke... like a one time $300 or $600 each will actually stimulate a multi trillon dollar economy. Even if every one of us spent their money at the same time, it would just cause a one time bump in the economy, nothing more.

If the government really wanted to stimulate the economy in some meaningful way, it would start spending on public works in a big way... as opposed to giving it away or wasting it on a futile war.

Our roads and bridges are falling apart, our ports are clogged any work on those would help far more than a mesily $300.

Besides if it weren't for it being an election year, we wouldn't get squat.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yeah,so they give you a "loan",of 600 bucks that you have to pay back next year when you do your taxes,sounds like a trick to me,to drag things farther down the tubes for most people when they don't get squat next year after being dragged down by the state of the economy the year before.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This plan is nothing more than a mechanism to keep people filing tax returns. It's nothing more than IRS PR detail. They're paying US citizens to file their taxes so that citizens will be subliminally influenced to file tax returns in future years. What better way to kill the rising tenor and message delivered by tax deniers and tax protesters than to pay US citizens to file income tax returns.

To put a fine point on it, throw Wesley Snipes in prison for 3 years for failing to file three income tax returns. Send the message that those who do not file returns are tax evaders, frauds, and felons even though in actuality they are not. Send the message that one must do what an offshore private corporation (IRS) coerces them to do, or else. Send the message that good sheep remain asleep at the wheel of their own car.

$600 - $1200 of something that doesn't even exist. Where is it coming from? The Federal Reserve; the US government does not create its own money. How will it be repaid? It will never be repaid because it does not and has not ever existed.

Stimulate an economy with a non-existent artificial stimulus? That's just as diabolical as the individuals and system that spawned it. The only reason why it appears to work is because banks will honor it for the purpose of continuing to exist, for the sole purpose of acquiring what little real wealth there is left to acquire.

Good little sheep should remain asleep. Whereas sovereign nations made up of sovereign human beings will protest and deny a tax on tea.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All you good folks that are saying it's a dud and it will only help for awhile or we will have to pay it back or whatever the reason you say it's a dud is because it's from the government. Me and my wife both work and support our children without assistants so any extra money no matter where it comes from is better than nothing and will help us out greatly. If it only helps out for a week or two then that's two weeks of help we wouldn't of had. I hate the way our economy is looking and all the crap going on throughout the world. We elected all these elites to do a job that they are not doing and we need to select better people to do the job right. They can raise millions to do their campaigns for a presidential election but they can only raise 600 bucks per person to help our economy? What a bunch of BS! I'm thankful for the extra money but I'm angry that it has come to this.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well my rebate is going to be absolutely worthless. I was planning on using it to get a tooth fixed that brke in half about a year ago. Unfortunately I have to travel about 200 miles to go to the V.A twice in May. I guess it really is a "stimulus" package, stimulating the oil companies, just like it was intended to in the first place.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
deal!

i doing my part to stimulate the economy and im buying a big screen tv

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

I've never truly understood these packages. I remember the last one. I got like $300. This time I have two kids so I think we are getting $1,800. That's awesome! But I agree with others who have said they would rather give it up and see the price of things go down instead.

The funny thing is I'm giving most of the money to my daughter who is getting married, so it won't actually be going to the economy until she spends it.

How about a year without any taxes??? Now THAT would be stimulating!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It might work to jump start the economy. Many people that get this money will catch up on bills and everyday expenses, but I believe they will spend the rest at the stores and eating out, It will show a boast in consumer spending for this quarter, and that could lead to more growth and jobs for the next quarter.

But if they can't lower gas, energy expenses, and food costs, and we also need alot more better paying jobs if these don't happen then it's pointless. Since we got rid of our manufacturing economy and the massive decline in construction of new homes we are in trouble. It's a catch 22 we need good jobs so people by houses, we need people buying houses to keep many good jobs.

I give it a slim chance for success. Many different things have to go right in order for it to work.

We need to bring manufacturing back to America, "Made In America" would be the perfect cure to our ailing economy.

*edit to add* we are seeing the first hand effects of what over a decade of free trade is doing to America.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, I've always been of the opinion that any money I receive unlooked for is a good thing. Being one of those folks who lives from paycheck to paycheck and week to week, an extra $600 is a true blessing. The only question is how I will spend it.

I know that the original intention is for everyone to spend it on something other than household essentials or bills in order to spur the ecomomy; however, with the rate of inflation and recession being what they are and the cost of things like gasoline and groceries being what they are, it's hard to see how anyone who qualifies for the rebate could spend it on anything else. It may be nice to buy that new HDTV but if the power company shuts your electric service off due to non-payment you probably won't get much joy from it.

So, as much as I would like to spend my rebate check on something new and shiney, I will most likely end up using it to buy groceries and pay my cell phone and wireless internet bills instead. It's really a shame too; I think the idea is a good one, it just doesn't go far enough. Now, $2500 per person, regardless of income, and no requirement to repay or to count it as income on next years return, would probably work just fine.

My two cents, anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'll take the money but... what a joke. Just like the rest of the Bush presidency. The funniest thing about it is he wants us to buy stuff produced here in the US... ummmm sorry but what the hell is still produced here?!? Thanks to Nafta, Gafta etc and greedy, unpatriotic corporations, most of our stuff is produced in China and other countries. The people this "stimulus" will really help are the Chinese when we buy their stuff! But wait- these is a nail manufacturing factory close to here. I guess I could spend my "stimulus" money on nails...

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It started off as my money, from my sweat, anyway. I take as much of it back as I can get.

The government runs on a fat budget, they have layers of redundant employees and even entire redundant agencies. They still pay over 100% the going rate for items that are available on the open market. The culture is set up for each office to blow every penny it's alloted so they would not lose their share for the next year. If they ran lean and mean they could accomplish probably twice as much on a smaller budget.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Man, as much as many are sounding like they are hurting financially, where do they get off on this check being "extra" money? I mean, it sounds more like it's NEEDED, in some household. Yet it's "extra"?

Eh, maybe I just don't understand the word.
If I was getting this "stimulus" money, it would almost pay for a full month of rent. Instead of being "extra", it would keep my family in our home one month longer. LOL

I just think, that this really is a DUD, because if people were doing better already, THEN we could use it as extra spending money, like Bush and idiots think will happen. No one struggling right now is going to be stupid enough to listen to Bush and think that everyone is "ok", and go on a spending spree. (well, ok, he WAS voted as president, even a second time. Apparently there are more idiots than I am giving credit for)

How sad, that most of this "stimulus" thing will only be going to the oil corporations. But isn't that the plan? To give them a BOOST, since they seem to be struggling?

[edit on 27-4-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This "stimulus" package is a freakin joke! For one, I don't even qualify!! I make 50k a year, but like 12% of that goes to income taxes alone, and I have about 20,000 bucks in debt for school. Since Bush has taken office, my tuition has gone up 3000 dollars PER semester!!!! Even IF I had gotten this stimulus package, it wouldn't even help me pay off the interest on my loans OR my credit card.. freakin pathetic man. If you want to "stimulate" the economy, cut taxes for EVERYONE. Then EVERYONE will have extra cash, be able to spend more cash on things they NEED.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join