It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Filters/Obtaining Clean Water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
In order to avoid hi-jacking another thread, i'm starting a thread for water filtration.
Any info on water filters or methods for obtaining fresh water during SitX would be helpful.

Solar stils are easy to make and seem to be fairly effective for small amounts of fresh water but not for large quantities. Obviously boiling is pretty effective.

Any other thoughts and options.

This thread has a little from Blitzkreigen

Comments on filtration

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I was wondering about this also. I saw on the news a while back that some guy had invented a device than filters anything ( I mean anything) into drinkable water. Is this available now? I figured it would be a pretty good thing to have.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As for the post above me, I have heard of somthing like that as well. A machine or method that can purify anything into drinking water, even urine.

Now I have done a little research on this topic and here are some things I have gathered.

Iodine tablets are a good way of purifying water, there are similar things in sporting good stores. (stock up). A certain mixture of bleach can purify water, and obviously boiling it. Here is a great link to water purification and it gives some ways to obtain water when there is none, and how to make a homemade filtration device. I suggest everything above, if sitx was to happen, there would be no such thing as too many ways to purify water.

Here is the link:Water Purification

It also says you have to filter the water first, then purify it.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KidOK

There is some confusion around these filters, Blitzkreigen has a lot of good info.

Some of the filters that say they filter "everything", really dont.

This filter only does down to 15 micron, which isnt very small.
Lifestraw

This one only goes down to .5 micron and seems good but there are some limitations
Monolithic Filter

I have this katadyn
Katadyn Filter

Again this one goes to .2 micron and is better for large scale but will be limited for viruses and some other contaminants
Katadyn Drip

These seem to be some of the best filters and they are recommended by Blitzkreigen, and he seems very knowledgeable on this subject

First Need

First Need

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I think that is because it is impossible to filter out everything. You need to filter the water first, then purify it, if your drinking from a lake or something.

But I am new to the concept of water purification, so please, correct me if I am wrong.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
"Boiling" will kill all Viruses and Bacteria. ( Bacteria that we will encounter 'at the present time' in fresh surface water )

There are "Black Smokers" in the deepest reaches of the ocean, that have a temp FAR exceeding 212. Deg F, Or Boiling Water. They are TEEMING with life and bacteria that we dont understand yet. Boiling wont kill THESE guys. Point being, you should prepare for the worst case scenario, WHEN it comes to your WATER. Its VERY unforgiving.

Unfortunately, it will also actually CONCENTRATE some Chemicals when boiled. ( Making them Much Stronger )

Iodine is very Temp and Contact Time dependent. I would avoid it, from personal experience.

When you get too weak to walk, and dehydrate so badly you WISH you would die, in MODERN time with Medical Attention, for 3 months straight.... and Mom is trying to take care of you, I would avoid Iodine. Giardia Sucks The Life Right Out of you. Really couldnt even walk.

It also does nothing for chemicals. ( iodine )

What we need to consider is... WHEN will I have to purify my own water?

That situation determines WHAT you need to be 'filtering' for.

It will also determine you most likely source of water for your individual location.

THEN you want the best available Purifier, thats portable and hand operated. ( First Need Deluxe... Bacteria, Chems and Viruses + 'Others')

Dont forget about Murphys Law either.....

"Assuming" that there are no chemicals or viruses in your water... or Assuming that "only" the most common "backpacker" Bacteria are in your water , might be a Fatal Mistake that you will learn in about 3 days the hard way, and then you might have Months to regret it, if your lucky.

Bottom line is... START with the WATER and do it right. If you mess up the water, you will know very very soon.

Most other survival Preps are much more forgiving, thats why I dont get into them. Water is PRIMARY, over everything else.

Even with absolutely NO food, you can go at least 7 to 10 days before you expire.

Drinking bad water, you will not make it 3 before you are seriously incapacitated. ( thats just regular normal "backpacker" bacteria also... chemicals or viruses can strike much quicker, or even immediately...)

I wont say much about anything else, But I'm compelled to try to steer you the right way on your water.

Got to go, bee back soon..

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Poor man's water filter for $50!

www.watercorp.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thisnamenotinuse

Not tested with live bacteria, trested with "crystrals" that are 0.3 micron in size.

Lots of Cadmium getting through ( 41%), also chrome ( 62%) and 9% Lead is Getting though this filter, by their own admission.

I would like to see a link to the independent lab tests, to be sure they are the "standard" EPA and NSF tests that we all go by. Live bacteria are used in the Standard tests.

Even then, heavy Metals are getting through Badly and for 40.00 more Dollars you wouldnt have to worry about it with a First Need.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
As a wilderness guide, this is an everyday part of my life. Although, I do "just purify" my water with a conventional ceramic filtered pump, I do prefer boiling any and all water if you don't have a filter. If you're the "average Joe," it's really the most practical choice. Hold a rolling boil for 10 seconds and you can drink about any water. Any parasites, bacteria, or viruses can't withstand heat over 115 degree Fahrenheit over an extended period of time. The water might not look pretty, but add some Tang or Cocoa to it and you can't see or taste what you're drinking. MSR is coming out with a new UV filter that is supposed to kill any and all bacteria in seconds with a scan from the filter. I don't know about that, but I'm definitely excited for their mini filter coming out.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Does anybody know where to buy 55gal barrel/drum liners for water. I have an endless supply of 55gal drums, but they are not for food products. I am wondering if I steam cleaned out the drums, then used some type of FDA approved liners... if this would be enough to protect my water supply?

Also, my well is 200' deep. I doubt a hand pump would work to get water from the well in a no electricity situation. Any ideas on how to get water out of the well?

Thanks in advance for any consideration you give my questions.
yr

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Really poor man's way of purifying water:

put it in a clear plastic jug/bag on a sunny day and leave it exposed (all day long) to the sun in a sheltered place.

The UV kills the bacteria. I saw this on a CBC news program about how to help African refugees. I'll try to find a corroborating link and edit it into this post.

That was easy...

A do-it-yourself technique of disinfecting water with sunlight and soft-drink bottles could save hundreds of thousands of lives a year, the World Health Organization said Thursday.In a campaign to reduce deaths from unhealthy water in developing countries, the UN health agency is promoting a nearly cost-free process called Solar Water Disinfection, or SODIS. The process is simple: Transparent bottles are filled with water and placed horizontally on a flat surface for about five hours. The heat and ultraviolet rays of the sun kill illness-causing microorganisms in polluted water."
www.planetizen.com...

[edit on 30/4/08 by masqua]

[edit on 30/4/08 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
www.campingsurvival.com...
The one to get.

giardiaclub.com...
Know nothing about this one at all.

www.walkabouttravelgear.com...
All good stuff.

The survival straw is the only one that does 5,000 gallons and removes heavy metals and chemicals as well as bacteria, cysts and viruses. The cleaner the water the longer these last. If you drink from muddy puddles you may need to distill or let settle and siphon clear off the mud.

Remember these straws are only for drinking. You may need to distill water for cooking, showering etc.

AquaMira and MMS are the same thing. You get much bigger bottles as MMS for a little less money.
[edit on 30-4-2008 by Illahee]

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty much blown away by Dean Kamens new water purification device...

Part of saving our environment relies heavily on figuring out new ways to process our natural resources in a self-sustaining, cost effective way. Dean Kamen, the man who brought us the Segway, has just such a solution in the form of a water purification device called the Slingshot. Kamen claims the Slingshot can take nearly any source of moisture--including ocean water, urine or sewage--and quickly turn it into safe drinking water. The Slingshot process operates by means of vapor compression distillation, requires no filters, and can operate using the most efficient fuel known to man: cow dung. In addition to producing drinkable water, the Slingshot also generates enough electricity to light 70 energy-efficient light bulbs.

Source

Colbert Report Clip

If he can reach his target price of 1-2k per this will definitely improve quality of life in many areas.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
One of these Pre Mac Travel Well Survival Pocket Water Purifier might come in handy?

Or maybe one of these?

AQUAPURE WATER PURIFIER-DRINKING WATER FROM ANY SOURCE

In many natural disasters as well as man made ones, sourcing drinking water can be a problem. With an APT, all workers as well as victims can be provided with safe drinking water. U.S, U.K and other Governments are issuing guidelines on household safety due to heightened terrorist threats. In the event of any such incident if you have an APT you will be able to use all water sources in the house – storage tank or central heating system - and any outside water source even if contaminated (e.g swimming pools).

Both budget items so you can afford to give them a try before the need arises without breaking the bank.

There are many more on the market just search ebay or google 'water purification'.

Good luck survivors S_G

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If you don't have access to anything but the source of water, there is an easy way to purify water.

Dig a hole next to the water source. Make sure its a few feet deep. Water will slowly percolate through the soil into your hole.

Free purification courtesy of nature. The soil will filter most contaminants and in a worst case scenario situation this is your best bet.

If you have time to build a fire and a pot to hold water in, boiling [water] would be your best bet for purification.

You can buy water pumps using clay soil as filtration that works really well. You put one end of the hose into the water and pump the water through the filter into your water bottle. Pretty cool stuff.

And there's always iodine, a proven anti-bacterial, but it should not be used for extended periods of time.

I used a grape seed extract oil as a water purifier which worked well, but you are going to need a strong immune system to deal with any anti-bacterial method.

Any other questions?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
Also, my well is 200' deep. I doubt a hand pump would work to get water from the well in a no electricity situation. Any ideas on how to get water out of the well?

Most drainage hand pumps will do this (with a bit of human effort) as they are designed not to 'draw back', they tend to have valves to release water in the hose back in to the well so that it does not turn stagnant.

Gonna have to get your hands on a nice long hose or adapt your own electric pump would probably be cheaper.

When you have no electric you dont have many choices, just consider yourself lucky you have a water source as you will be in the minority.

Good luck and regards S_G

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

"Camping SURVIVAL Straw"

See this Link for the details
www.wcponline.com...
but here is a clip....

the above "EST" number is an "Establishment" number for products that make "pesticidal" claims. Under more stringent requirements, a registration or "REG" number is also required, which means the company had to provide a higher level of documentation and undergo a plant inspection as to its product claims. An EST number is a lesser registration that may or may not require an audit of the company's records supporting its claims. This is frequently the case for a "device" rather than a "whole system" and is governed by "40 CFR 150-189" of the Code of Federal Regulations. The service uses five databases from silverplatter.com to research information, among them being PESTBANK, which is compiled at Purdue University's Center for Environmental and Regulatory Information System (CERIS) and updated quarterly under the auspices of the USEPA.

In addition to stating that it meets USEPA and Food and Drug Administration approvals, the site says the product is listed with the American Public Health Association (APHA). In checking with APHA, I found that the organization does not list or certify products.

Anyone can make a claim. but the Tests always show the truth.

More later on..

Blitzkreigen

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Extremely Impressive. Two thumbs up!

50% of all Worldwide disease is spread from bad drinking water! I didnt think it was that high, but it sure makes sense.

www.comedycentral.com...

Sounds like normal Distillation, and the only drawback that I initially see is a fuel source, but the electrical output makes up for a bit of the combustion energy used. ( probably 30 % or so 'electrical energy' and 70% HEAT). Also a Question about concentrating some VOC's, that may not be removed by the distillation, but actually concentrated from the heat.

Requires further study, and independent sources of Tests with EPA results.

I'm extremely positive about this one, but its rather large for bugging out.

Good Post, and Thank You!

Definately worth more research on design and Challenge Water Tests.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

If UV kills all the bacteria, we would never need chlorine in our pools in Texas.

UV (only part of the Sunlight Spectrum ) also Grows ALGAE. ( Phosphates = food + Sunlight + Oxygen = ALGAE Growth)

There are over 20,000 varieties of Algae, all classified by color. There is also a CLEAR Algae, that you cannot see, but it has a slippery feel on surfaces.

It probably works in a 'lab', with controlled bursts of Direct UV, but for a Survival situation, your asking for trouble. Dont forget about Chemicals and Pesticides at minimum. Also, as soon as there is no more UV, stuff starts growing again immediately if it was not all totally destroyed.

If it sounds too good to be true......

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

"Quote"

"Pre Mac Travel Well Survival Pocket Water Purifier might come in handy?"

"The effectiveness of the SWP has been proven in tests carried out by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine which show total elimination of the bacteria Escherichia coli and reductions of Poliovirus in excess of 99.9%. "

Thats ONLY 1 LOG Filtration ( 99.9 %)

The First Need Deluxe does 9 LOG filtration (EPA Purifier Standards )

"Quote"

"AQUAPURE WATER PURIFIER-DRINKING WATER FROM ANY SOURCE "

"What will the APT take out of the water?

The APT removes waterborne pathogens such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. It removes bad tastes, odours and reduces toxic chemicals (iodine, chlorine) and heavy metals (lead, asbestos etc).

Does the APT take out Viruses and Bacteria?

Yes - The virus needs to be disinfected out, the APT has an Iodine resin sleeve that fits over the filter and kills the viruses and bacteria (Ecoli, Cholera, Typhoid, Hepatitis A and Polio). "

Once again... I see that Claims are made with no Independent testing.

The More I do this the more I realize that the USA EPA and NSF standards are TRULY the way to go. Everyone is on the same playing field with the same rules.

This is like playing baseball and giving the other team 7 outs per inning , while you only get three.

Unfortunately it seems PREVELANT in the "water treatment industry" to make claims that are unsubstantiated, or are from Moscow, Ukraine, Africa or China.

NOPE.. if its not EPA and NSF tested, you getting snookered.

BTW, the First Need Removes Viruses, without an additional disinfection step and is certified by the EPA to do that.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

( PS I'm NOT trying to be Curt, or be an ASS, but I really get disgusted with these companies taking advantage of unsuspecting people )

I apologize if my tone offends. I'm trying to be short and concise for my benefit and yours.

We both have better things to do than get mired up in a sales pitch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join