It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unpaid Utility Bills Soaring As Economy Sags: Mass Shut offs looming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Truth be told I actually like Canada. I have been to B.C. many times and had a blast. My best friend Bruce is about as Canadian as they come and is truly one of the best quality human beings that I have ever known.

I just get sick of the bile and the venom that get spewed on this site toward American citizens. I mean yes, the government is crooked as a snake, WE GET IT. Nobody knows how screwed up our leadership and our foreign policy is more so than average working Americans. But it really brings out the claws when I see people from other countries who know nothing about our people to so smugly denegrate and attack our cultire and our citizens who are guilty of nothing other than trying to make due with what the situation provides.

Normally a troll will not get a rise out of me with such foolishness, and I know that most Canadians are nothing like these macaroons here. Just a sore spot I guess. Apologies to any decent Canadian folks present, I was only dishing back a little of what this guy was serving.

Best regards to all

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Jessica, I hear that, college is about worthless. I piled up loans for a supposed "education", but i ended up sleeping through class (and still getting 100%). The system was so dumbed down that i ended up TEACHING a couple of my classes when i discovered my teachers were complete idiots.

Yes, I ended up having to do that as well. This woman was supposed to be 'teaching' us computer software for spreadsheets and she had trouble figuring out how to start the program. She was having such trouble I felt sorry for her and went up and helped her. She disappeared a day or two later I think and only showed for class a few times the whole semester. This other lady and I ended up teaching the class. We had to have the class in order to graduate at the end of the semester.

At the second college, I had to take this computer class which had a foreign teacher who was teaching it for some sort of requirement for his degree or something. He started writing on the board in his foreign tongue and the class knew we were in trouble. I made A's and B's in all of my computer classes, and this one was really just a repeat because I had the class to get the first degree but the college required me to take a whole lot of classes over again at their school, but I ended up with a C after the curve. I would not understand from him what he even wanted me to do for assignments because he had such trouble with English. The college used a lot of temp teachers like this to save money, but the students ended up having a raw deal.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I have been meaning to reply to this nonsense that some Reaganites try to pretend to be the reality. Reagan's economic policies were a complete failure, and the only thing that kept the U.S. economy from collapsing in the eighties are the huge levels of government deficit spending. Reagan had one decent year economically, 1984, and that was due to the tough economic policies put in place by Carter who inherited stagflation from the Nixon Ford admins. Repub tried to lower the deficit in 87 and it almost lead to economic disaster.

Clinton reversed the policies of the Reagan admin and the U.S. economy took off like a rocket by 95. Clinton's policy was simple, enforce the rules and regulations that help to create economic competition, which is critical for a well functioning market economy. Regulations also do another important thing, they create jobs. When companies are forced to do the basics to gaurantee quality, safety, and meet environmental requirements they have to hire people to do the work necessary. People with jobs create consumer demand, and there you have an economic system.

The stock market bubble of the late nineties was created by Newt Gingrich's contract on America, which rewrote the laws leading to massive out of control market speculation and that was the stock bubble. What is worse is that they removed the laws that were keeping us from repeating another great depression.

Since 2000 our economy has survived by massive increases in private as well as public sector debt, which is exactly what they did in the twenties, and now that debt has increased to the tipping point, the world economy is is a very bad situation. Who knows when the last time economic indicators were this bad, but you might have to go back to the collapse of Rome. Populations of the developing world have skyrocketed to the point of insustainability, and now our planets cheap and easily accessable oil resources are running out, the world economy dependent on U.S. consumers who have sustained consumption through debt has painted itself into a corner, the populations of third world nations are about to face some very horrible times.

The boomers have shown themselves to have been a very greedy generation, and now that they are ready to retire, the world economy is about to collapse. Poetic justice I wonder.

It might be time to remember the expression, "That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I see a lot of mention in this thread of how all the different utilities are gouging us. I am not an expert on the subject by any means, but I would like to take an honest look.

My understanding is that all energy types are in lockstep. If Oil goes up, so does gas and electric and coal.

The basic premis is that a thermal unit of heat will cost the same across the board.

But in a free market, there is balance, yes in the long run the market would balance the demands to make the fuel types cost the same, but in the short term, If you jack up oil, it should take time for people to convert and increase the demand for other fuel types. So there should be temporary imbalance.

What removes the temporary imbalances? My understanding is that it is speculative investments anticipating the imbalances and purchasing and selling futures. So our fuel prices are driven to extremes in anticipation of some future demand.

This seems like a good model so far. But there is a major hole in it.

Prices keep escalating while people cannot afford fuel.
Prices keep escalating while people cannot afford food.
People loose their homes, have their power cut off, and the speculators do not seem to notice that the bottom has fallen out of the future.

What I am saying is that this no longer looks like a free market economy.

Someone is pumping dollars into it in a financial suicide move. Perhaps to clean up on the other end by having enough capitol to buy up the broken pieces.

Who is doing this? There should be a paper trail you could bury a world economy under leading right back to the author of this plan.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

I would say this is exactly what a free market economy looks like once it's progressed this far.

If you have a monopoly/ogliopoly/price fixing you can gouge your customers as much as you like, it's not like they can do anything about it.

These things are all what a free market lead to: monopoly/ogliopoly/price fixing.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hurricane James

I don't remember where I heard this tid bit but I'll ask you because you might have some knowledge : estimates for nuclear energy production of current known and proven sources (pulling the hot rocks from the ground and "refining" them) provide an estimate of current usage power to last not longer than 60 years. I believe that was just for the USA region and specifically didn't allow for any increase in demand of electricity.

Is that the situation?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

No disrespect at all intended, Hinky...

In your posts on this thread, you seem to portray yourself as someone who has VERY little regard for anyone outside your own immediate family...I'd go as far to say you almost completely lack empathy for anyone outside your own circle of influence...That might be harsh, but that's what I see when I read your posts...

And that's kinda sad, really...

Your "fixes" for people in situations like this are so simplistic and not in touch with reality it ain't funny...

Sure, you have your reality and that has worked for you and yours...But they way you have and do live your life isn't possible for a lot of people...

Food for thought on your part, perhaps ?

Peace

EDIT -- spelling

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Rilence]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join