It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida lawmakers debate offering a Christian license plate!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

MIAMI (AP) — Florida drivers can order more than 100 specialty license plates celebrating everything from manatees to the Miami Heat, but one now under consideration would be the first in the nation to explicitly promote a specific religion.

The Florida Legislature is considering a specialty plate with a design that includes a Christian cross, a stained-glass window and the words "I Believe."

Rep. Edward Bullard, the plate's sponsor, said people who "believe in their college or university" or "believe in their football team" already have license plates they can buy. The new design is a chance for others to put a tag on their cars with "something they believe in," he said.

If the plate is approved, Florida would become the first state to have a license plate featuring a religious symbol that's not part of a college logo. Approval would almost certainly face a court challenge.

The problem with the state manufacturing the plate is that it "sends a message that Florida is essentially a Christian state" and, second, gives the "appearance that the state is endorsing a particular religious preference," said Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida.

ap.google.com...

After approving "I Believe".

Then the atheists "I Don't Believe."

Then Muslims "Allah Akbar."

ProLife advocates "Stop killing babies"

Florida will dig themselves in a hole with this one. I'm all for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

Errm...you guys actually PAY them to waste their time doing this kind of thing?? Where do I sign up?

J.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If they approve that I would love to be a bumper sticker salesman in that state. Every car will have a religious bumper sticker to counter the plate. A creative individual who can make his own bumper stickers and trademark them will make millions in no time. I can see some now:

"I don't wear my religion on the ass of my car!"

"A license plate does not make you a decent person."

"Spiritual Anarchist: Free the license plates!!!"

"Would Jesus have a vanity plate?"

"I would have got a Christian license plate, but I spent the money helping the poor and those in need instead."

This could be an open market to lots and lots of money for the right individual.

Think about it

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The thing I hate about your post is now people will believe I stole your idea. It's good none the less.
Favorite one I've seen is a dinosaur eating those fish people put on their cars.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Bit off topic here but bear with me.

I grew up in a smallish predominantly religious city. I'll never forget this girl who drove around with a bumper sticker which read:

Sorry I haven't been to church lately, I've been busy sacrificing goats...

My god that always made me laugh.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

The thing I hate about your post is now people will believe I stole your idea. It's good none the less.
Favorite one I've seen is a dinosaur eating those fish people put on their cars.

You can't steal what someone gives away for free my friend. I hope you make a mint.

new topics

top topics

join