It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ew, Canada!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

This public safety ad (h/t mark Steyn at The Corner) must have sent Canadian kids to bed with nightmares by the tens of thousands. Another milestone in Canada’s continuing cultural collapse.

Video--- Warning This May Be Graphic For Sensitive Viewers

Personally I found this very funny. What I DID find disturbing was the fact, there were no nonskid mats, and oil is VERY slippery on those kitchen floors. Also, I learned as a kid not to pick up a big scalding pot of oil. This is all common sense. Obviously this is a big thing in Canada.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
wow........
thats all i'm going to say

if i was a kid that would terrify me, and most likely impose a new phobia on me

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

I was nice enough to put a warning advisory on the link. Maybe they should have did the same thing. Or was it ment to be shocking?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well, I don't find it funny.
What I found is, people are definitely confused, very confused.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I found it disturbing, but I've suffered massive burns and the excruciating treatment.

There's so much crap on TV these days that it's hard to single out this advertisement, but you really don't need to be that graphic to get the message out.

I say two thumbs down.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i think that was the point to make it seem so shocking that the next time you are near a steaming pot of water and in a kitchen with greasy floors, that horrifying image will reappear in your mind and make you stop....and think

i dunno though lol

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I hate this ad so much. I don't watch much CBC anymore because of it. I think there was another one, but I don't recall what it was about. I have no clue what justifies airing such a disturbing act, but It seems to me that a friendly reminder to be careful in the kitchen would suffice. Your personal safety is your personal responsibly, at work or not. Simple as that, no need to terrorise people in order to make them listen. Accidents happen, people must learn from their mistakes, not a some intentionally disturbing act which was obviously created to catch people off guard.

Disgusting, shame on the creators. I don’t see this saving anybody from anything besides a good nights sleep and jPod on CBC!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
That was pretty shocking, considering its something that will be shown on prime time TV in the guise of a public service annoucment.
I wish soccer moms who drives around in a two-ton SUV chatting on her cell phone , applying makeup, and disciplining her kids at the same time would be shown some of those graphic driver's ed videos to show what her carelessness can cause. I think Canada has a much bigger problem with automobile fatalities.

On a side note: Didnt that scream sound real!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

Hey Master!

I've seen that vid many many times. The first time it literally scared the crap out of me.

I think it hits home better in it's shock and awe state. It stuck in my mind much more so than someone just blabbering on about the jists of workers compensation.

The problem I have with it is, it's been known to pop up randomly at any time throughout the day. Woe unto the poor tots that might be looking at the commercials when it happens to air.

If that doesn't scare the beejeebers out of someone to think twice about kitchen safety, then I guess I'll read or see it in the news. Sad but true.

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What does a girl about to be engaged...slipping and falling...burnt badly...have to do with the cultural collapse? I don't get it.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I agree I didnt get the "cultural collaspe" thing either. I wonder if there will be other videos. I wonder what happened after the lady stopped screaming? I bet EVERYONE in the kitchen was freaked out by Miss Freddy Kruger

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is just one commercial in a larger series.

In one, a woman working at a retail store climbs up an unsupported ladder to fix something on the ceiling, then as she leans over she topples the ladder over, falls into a glass case and dies. Then she stands up and conveys her safety message.

In another one, a man is carelessly driving a forklift in a warehouse or factory and and bumps into an unstable shelving unit which causes the shelf to collapse and long metal rods to come crashing down and impale him in several places. he later gets up with rods sticking out of him to convey his safety message.

There are more but I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

They're all pretty disturbing, but maybe they're hoping it's what it will take to remind people to stop being careless.

They've had similar programs going around the high schools for a while, not graphic, but often people who were paralyzed because of unsafe work environments or the parents of young workers who were killed come and they share their story. It just wasn't having much of an effect. Maybe they realise that people need something more in your face and that will impact your more emotionally in order to take safety more seriously.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would prefer a good scare rather than hearing in the news how someone died of something similar to slipping in oil.

new topics

top topics

join