It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This a question that i asked a member in another thread here on ATS

Do you think the idea of introducing digital cameras to the public arena was the work of disinformation organizations to make it easier to disproof controversial
images by claiming images have been modified by "photoshop" ?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
What no takers?, its a fair question considering 7/10 postings of ufo pictures
the first thing that is yelled out is "photoshop fake"

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Photo manipulation has happened well before the invention of photoshop software and digital cameras.

en.wikipedia.org...

Do digital photographs make authenticity harder to figure out? Yes definitely, but I do not think they were created with this purpose in mind. Camera evolution is always changing, and always will.

Digital image manipulation in the media is probably the biggest problem.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is a good example in there with the OJ Simpson case.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Digital cameras were introduced because it was some very tasty new technology and there was a hungry market just waiting to lap them up. We could also ask if the television was invented to manipulate public opinion. It wasnt, even though it is now a very useful tool for that purpose.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Oops...double post.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ST SIR 86
Do you think the idea of introducing digital cameras to the public arena was the work of disinformation organizations to make it easier to disproof controversial
images by claiming images have been modified by "photoshop" ?

Well, if you are asking for input / opinions, my short answer is no.

Digital Photography evolved through a rather natural progression to meet consumer demand, like many products, for faster, easier and cheaper.

From Brownie cameras using "roll" film to "Instamatic" cameras using "drop-in" cartridges to "Polaroid" instant cameras............

Photography advances parallel several other consumer products like recorded music:
Vinyl records > 8-track tapes > cassette tapes > CD's > MP3's etc.

Also, I think some of the older "vintage" ufo photos look more real than new fakes. And they might have been pie-tins and fishing line. Actually, I think the older shots are harder to debunk / disprove as they appear to be shot "In-camera."

(BTW, I spent hundreds of hours in professional photo lab processing C-41 (color negative) and E-6 (color slide) film and "dodging" and "burning" prints under enlarger.) So I am familiar with the evolution of photography / technology.)

Another classic "photo manipulation" which pre-dates Photoshop would be the infamous Lee Harvey Oswald photo showing him with sniper rifle and Dallas paper. IMHO, clearly faked.

Lastly, "Photo Re-touching" and the "Colorization" of B/W photos has been
done for decades. (Wedding, Infant, High-School & College Yearbook and Graduation photos were all, most likely, manipulated from 30's thru 70's before Photoshop.)

Sorry to be so long and rambling. But I find topic interesting.

So my opinion is no.

regards . . . kk

[edit on 24-4-2008 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 24-4-2008 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

join