It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inattentional Blindness and UFO's

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

OK, got it - it was COOK, not Columbus!

Why Can't We See the Ships?

I'll read it, I hope others will do the same, and then maybe we can discuss it further.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that there's a lot more sensible explanation to this:

1) Many "ufologist" probably lie. Or they wish to believe they saw one.
2) Many people probably become interested on the subject BECAUSE they saw one.
3) People interested in UFOs will most likely be more willing to admit they saw one.
4) People overly skeptical about UFOs would probably make up some sort of theory to fool themselves.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I see someone gave me a star for the message above.
Thank you (does ATS have a shoe store where I could exchange my stars for semi-perishables? ;-), I really do appreciate it - but I would like verbal feedback or discussion about the article even more.

P.S. Or, if you prefer, I wouldn't be averse to a thread discussing the findings mentioned in the article. I think it would be even better.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

That website is spouting nonsense. Misquotes and quotes out of context. Good way to perpetuate common myths.

It was not Cook but Banks who wrote about the old woman and children (misquoted, btw). Earlier in the same journal entry he indicates that the aboriginals could indeed see the ship. They climbed a hill to get a better view of it.

A small smoak arising from a very barren place directed our glasses that way and we soon saw about 10 people, who on our approach left the fire and retird to a little emminence where they could conveniently see the ship; soon after this two Canoes carrying 2 men each landed on the beach under them, the men hauld up their boats and went to their fellows upon the hill.

The aboriginals put on a defensive display.

During this time a few of the Indians who had not followd the boat remaind on the rocks opposite the ship, threatning and menacing with their pikes and swords...

These two seemd to talk earnestly together, at times brandishing their crooked weapons at us as in token of defiance.

www2.sl.nsw.gov.au...

They could see the ships quite well and Banks had his own idea about why many of them paid the ship scant notice.

I was almost inclind to think that attentive to their business and deafned by the noise of the surf they neither saw nor heard her go past them.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to be guilty of perpetuating any obsolete myths (that's precisely why I am constantly butting in within this thread ;-), so I thank you for that.
And do I hope more people would step forward and discuss this.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
Another instance of inattentional blindness are those cases noted by anthropologists who have studied primitive rain-forest tribes in the Amazon (and in Africa jungle tribes too).

Because such individuals have lived all there lives in a rain-forest or jungle surrounded by tree's and thick vegetation, but when transported to a large expansive grassland field where one can see for miles and miles in every direction, those rain-forest or jungle natives became completely disoriented in environments like this and could NOT SEE clusters of tree's or other objects (including mountains!) that were far off into the distance in those fields. The reason why is because they were unaccustomed to seeing things at such distances -- so for them, those objects weren't there! They simply did not see them!

Such cases are very well documented.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Palasheea]

I wouldnt say they couldnt see them, its simply they couldnt interpret what they saw, where we see a clump of far off trees they just see a clump of something, but to them they arent trees since theyve never learned to recognise that thats what a tree is at long distance. Ever looked at a puzzle painting or a painting with a hidden image inside it, you can see all the parts that make up the hidden image but you just cant put two and two together, your not blind to it, just not fully aware. Id also take into consideration just how scared the poor buggers would be, the same way any of use would be if we where stuck in the jungle, I know id feel rather confined and worried about not being able to see far enough.

There was an story example of a young muslim boy who was taken and shown a painting of a man on a horse (this was on some art doco a few years back, BBC I think, cant remember the name). Basically since due to his culture representative paintings of people and animals or things where forbidden as idols, he was unable to understand just what this painting was, to us it was a huge painting of a king or general on a white horse, to him it was a mess of color, his brain was completely unable to separate the shapes and work out what it represented. He wasnt blind to it, since he saw it, he just had no way (with out training) to know what it was he was looking at.

Another story I saw on yet another BBC doco about blind people who had regained their sight at some time, one man who this had happened to who was blind from birth was shown a bronze statue of a gorilla at zoo, when asked what it was he just couldn't say it was unrecognizable but he knew it was something. How ever the moment he was allowed to close his eyes and run his fingers over it he knew what it was.

While this might explain why some people dont see UFO's and might account for why so few are seen when in reality they might be regularly seen, I think its purely for the most part the brain ignoring anything it finds unacceptable or out of phase with its beliefs. They see the UFO, but rather than pursue it say to them selves, "nah cant be... ohhh look a puppy!".

I just take unbridged at them using the term blindness, since they dont "dont" see it they just see it, ignore it and forget about it all at the same time. You get it happening in Bigfoot sightings where two people are involved while driving. Its not until minutes latter than one will ask the other.. "By the way did you see what i saw?" its this latter need to confirm what initially was considered "not really there" (since why not immediately bring it to attention when you see it) that indicates they did see it but just refused to let it sink in or conscious or sub-consciously ignored it.

Might also explain some of the nutty UFO configurations or really bizarre alien and creature sightings people have, since we dont have anything like it in our existence, when we see them we cant fully understand just what it is we are seeing, as such the brain stores it as something else or we recall it differently. Basically the brains seeing something relatively mundane but instead we interpret it as magical. If we understood it, we'd immediately go.. "hey those odd twisting lights are just one of those things and that odd morphing its doing is it just doing this and and the other... ho hum"

I guess its something I have a hard time understanding since im a fairly visually perceptive person. If i see (or hear) something 'wrong' in my field of vision, my mind usually immediately focuses on it (unfortunately I can be easily distracted)
Reminds me also of the time they had a program (I watch to much TV
) they did a situation where they had a bank robbery and they wanted you to see what was wrong with it... The moment it started I immediately knew what was wrong... the robber had a banana as a gun, it was surprising the rest of the family and a good deal of the studio audience never picked up on it, even after being told something in the scene would be wrong.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

There was an story example of a young muslim boy who was taken and shown a painting of a man on a horse (this was on some art doco a few years back, BBC I think, cant remember the name). Basically since due to his culture representative paintings of people and animals or things where forbidden as idols, he was unable to understand just what this painting was,

This reminds me of story from the early days of cinema I read about a long time ago (it might have been in G. Sadoul's history of cinematography, or maybe in one of A. Hauser's books), about a group of perfectly normally intelligent people who had never seen a moving picture before.
Even knowing - having been explained - what they were about to see, they became hysterical when they were faced with a close up shot of one of the actors. They saw it as a talking severed head.

How ever the moment he was allowed to close his eyes and run his fingers over it he knew what it was.

... and this reminds me of the unforgettable last scene in Chaplin's City lights.

Thanks for the input.

I find this topic very interesting - and relevant to all of us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join