It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's motive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Let's assume in my post that God wrote the Bible, either directly or indirectly.

I've been thinking about the Bible recently, and God's motive for writing it.

I'd imagine that God would want us to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. For instance there's the 10 commandments, and Jesus saying a lot of stuff about being nice to other people.

Why did God tell us that if we're good we get into heaven, instead of just telling us why it's good to be good, and letting us figure it out ourselves? If he did that, then only truly good people would get into heaven. Instead, with him telling us about heaven, he gave another reason for people to be good.

Surely he could explain the benefits of being good in the Bible without spoiling the prize? It smacks of being a very quick-and-dirty way to ensure people act nicely, instead of a more labourious way of actually getting people to be good.

The fact he mentioned it would make me think that it wasn't God who wrote it, but people trying to exert control over the readers. Why would God want to spoil the ending? Why would God want to give nasty people a chance to get into heaven, just by paying lip-service to his words? Surely he'd want to teach us all to be nice people, instead of essentially saying "you can be a complete b**tard, but as long as you follow these rules, you'll get into heaven, whether you mean them or not".

I apologise for the rambling nature of this post, and I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts on it.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
God is not religion, for he is a Spiritual bond.

and "Jesus" is not just "Jesus" he came to many different eras in many different names, one for instant, Dionysus.

Look up Dionysus.

Christianity and Catholics are evil practically because they study most part false scripture.

The only true way the bible can be ready is in Aramaic text.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

I wrote a thread talking about the Bible and a conspiracy around it; www.abovetopsecret.com...' You might be interested!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I cannot understand why so many people base their lives on the bible. They say it's god's word but after so many years, and discarding alot of books, and going through a ton of translations I would say that it's basically man's word now. Atleast the king james version

Anyone can write a book and say that God told them to write it.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't understand what this topic is about. If we were to define "God" as a supernatural, infinite, omnipotent entity of some kind that is essentially incomprehensible to us puny mortal humans, I can't see where such a creature would have any kind of "motivation" to do anything. After all, motivation is a result of some kind of need or deficiency. Such an infinite, omnipotent thing would already have everything and be everything, so why bother to manipulate a few little meat puppets on one of the billions of stray planets floating around the universe? Makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
ya raises a lot of other questions too. like why the worlds most ruthless and unforgiving mass murderer according to a book he claims to have written feels the need to lecture us on morality.

Nohup has a good point. If god were truly perfect he shouldn't want anything. And it answers the question of gods motivation, he shouldn't have any.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

Why did God tell us that if we're good we get into heaven, instead of just telling us why it's good to be good, and letting us figure it out ourselves? If he did that, then only truly good people would get into heaven. Instead, with him telling us about heaven, he gave another reason for people to be good.

2 things came to mind.

1 - people reading the bible with an honest heart would be able to discern the benefits of following his rule. not to mention the bible is filled with examples of what happens when you dont. so in a way, he did show us that following his rules are better.

2 - if god did not tell us what would happen in the future, then wheres the hope. its something to look forward to. when things are tough or you feel like compromising because it would just make life easier (or so it would seem) knowing the possibilities ahead of you provides hope.

i understand what you are saying about the motives, but im sure god can sort through that stuff.

plus if god is loving, maybe he wants to tell us what good awaits us.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

After all, motivation is a result of some kind of need or deficiency. Such an infinite, omnipotent thing would already have everything and be everything, so why bother to manipulate a few little meat puppets on one of the billions of stray planets floating around the universe? Makes no sense.

Motivate also means to incite or impel. If humans are part of an experiment, contest or game, it would explain all. It might impel us to try to make sense of it. I give my version of why the Bible, and why are we lemmings, on the thread I mentioned earlier.

You are all trying to apply rational reasoning to an irrational situation! We have to stop looking at matters through our limited eyesight. It is foolish to think that everything pertains to man's insight, and that God owes us an explanation. It might actually incite us to go beyond our weak, limited intelligence, to think outside the box. So many on ATS think that if they don't understand something, it must therefore, not exist. It is narrow thinking at the maximum.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If you actually read the bible, there's a lot more talk about personal connections and strengths than preaching for heaven. Churches, or organized Christian religion in general, choose to focus on the heaven and hell aspect. I don't believe this is what God wanted us to focus on at all. I have done nothing for myself if I only act because I think that's what He wants me to do. He would like for me to act for myself, however that may be.

There is no motive for promoting good deeds, and if you must describe it that way, then it is for us to have the most enjoyable living experience. Life is more relaxing and comfortable when you are honest with yourself and others. Being "good" to me is God saying, "look I know a lot about psychology, physiology, sociology, and some other -ologies and I'm telling you, be kind, honest, and loving and your body and mind will be much better off and you'll enjoy your time on earth. You can do whatever you like, but I'm trying to give you a cheat code here, why don't you try it out and tell Me what you think."

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Actually you have missed the entire point of the Bible. Pagans and atheists can be "good" by human standards, that isn't what God is about. Its not about being good enough to get into heaven. No one can be good enough to meet Gods requirements. All have sinned and fallen short. If you live an absolutely perfect life but told one lie you fail. That's what the Old Testament law demonstrated for us. You really do not want Gods Justice, you want his mercy. Its not about being good, it's about being grateful and humble to your creator for sending his Son to satisfy his justice for you. Once you have that your good actions will come from being grateful...

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away." Isaiah 64:6

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealYoda7

so if there is a "second coming" of "Jesus", do you think he would show us all his forms like a multi faced krishna to arjuna in the Bhagavad-Gita? that would be pretty tight if you ask me. Not to mention would make perfect sense...
He'll show up and be like, how many times do I have to come down here and tell you guys....

[edit on 4/24/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

Actually I wouldn't be surprised that if he did come down (and I don't believe he will) that religious mankind would be so threatened by him that they would pronounce him to be the Anti-Christ. Now, wouldn't that be an irony?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You are traveling into another dimension...... Nah not really. Imagine this if you will.........

One night Adonai was at home. He decided to have a bong and after taking a few hits empties the ash from the bowl into the water. As this happens theres a little puff of smoke and then the ashy blob gets brighter. So he grabs a microscope and lays the blob onto a glass plate (for viewing microscopically lol).

Now seeing as this is my story the telescope is pure amazing. It can zoom in on the tiniest unit of matter and then some!. So he sees some rocky blobs, some gassy blobs, some bright blobs and some weird bits (black holes etc :lol
After a few days he goes back. Zooms in on a wee ball of rock and sees some things. These things were moving and stuff. They were people like him in the blob of ash on a rocky blob!! So he decides to help these people live a good life and gives them 10 rules. If they follow those rules he will grant you eternal life in Heaven.

Heaven is just like our universe but was created by the Greatest scientist of all. He created it after the universe (in which he was created) collapsed. He had the means because his universe lasted approximately 100 trillion years. And after creating the means to eternal life about 4.8 billion years after the creation of the universe (in which he was created) he could live forevermore and create as many universes as possible.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Let's assume in my post that God wrote the Bible, either directly or indirectly.

That's easier said than done!

Someone earlier suggested that motivation arises out of a need or deficiency, and surely God would not have that conflict. We obviously come to real obstacles when we talk about God because of our only two options:

1. Assume God is like we are. But how could God possibly be like humans? The creator would surely be something much more magnificent than we are, in a multitude of ways.

1. Assume God is this majestic, omnipotent spiritual force that we cannot begin to comprehend. If we can't begin to comprehend it, then we have no business questioning its motives.

Both of the above assumptions lead to the same dead end, however, because we don't know anything about God other than the fact that he was our Creator. We just don't have enough information.

When you look at the Bible and how it essentially sets an overview of moral guidelines and ultimate consequences. Why would God need to do this?

God gave us the gift of choice, the opportunity to decide between good and evil. Perhaps explaining why it is good to be righteous wouldn't have done any good because we humans just didn't listen, just couldn't get it through our thick skulls.

It makes a lot of sense also that people would write something like the Bible in an effort to control the masses. I mean, that's completely what it's used for today. Why assume it hasn't always served that purpose? The Romans basically raised christianity, and they also had the largest Empire. Religion is a great tool for controlling distant territories when your army is too far away.

If the contents of the Bible weren't perpetrated by people, then they must have been perpetrated by aliens. I'm not an alien conspiracist or anything, but it makes a lot of sense if aliens did come here while humans hadn't made all the advances we've made. We could have easily been "domesticated" as a work force, it makes sense for alien visitors to mine our planet for resources during their stay. Alien technology could easily explain the awesome displays of power told-about in the Bible.

I apologise for the rambling nature of this post, and I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts on it.

I think we're all squared away on the rambling part.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

God's "motive"?
Underlying is the assumption that God is a finite individual with all kinds of parahuman urges, opinions and such.

A person, a human being, cannot think "about" God in any other way than the apophatic: i.e. you as a human can only grasp and define what God is NOT.

I'd imagine that God would want us to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. For instance there's the 10 commandments, and Jesus saying a lot of stuff about being nice to other people.

"Jesus saying a lot of stuff about being nice to other people"?
THAT's what you get from Christ's words...?

I hope you - or anyone seriously interested in this topic - will take the time to read this thoroughly, because it's of (literally) vital importance:

The Bible, and Christ's teachings especially, is not a manual on good manners and social skills - no more than a "sin" is a transgression of an exterior law, or an offence against arbitrary human precepts. (A "sin" is an offence against yourself as an evolving/evolved being.)

Christ 's teachings are not about being "nice" to other people - they are about being "nice" to YOURSELF.

They are very precise instructions on how to act to preserve and increase the "light", the appropriate forces in you, to get YOU into what is described (and yearned for by people) as "the kingdom of God".

Disregard them at your own risk - literally.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The Bible serves the purpose to tell us who God is, and what sin is, and that we choose one or the other.

The parts about heaven and hell are to reinforce that while you DO have a choice to believe (accept the belief in) God, there are repercussions for the wrong choice. In John 14:6, Jesus clearly says: "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father (in heaven at the end) except through Me."

We are all sinful. THAT is the part of Christianity and the Bible that the world hates. They dont want to know that there is any wrong. Only that they can do what they want to when they want too. So, God makes it clear that while you can...there are severe consequences for disobedience to His Word.

The "rules" that so many here seem to despise are there for the purpose of showing the ideal lifestyle standard as God intended, though man rebels against God constantly, and cannot live up to all of this standard.

So, to understand fully what is in the Word of God, one must approach it with a contrite heart, realizing they are a sinner, and must be seeking God for forgiveness and with repentance.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Just another Bible bashing thread.
Don't care if Jesus ever bled.
I would rather be dead.
Then have to listen to what's being read.

Ohhhhh, it's just another "Bible bashing thread".
Ohhhh Ohhhh Ya,
Just another Bible bashing thread.

IF it's not enough to make you mad.
Then we'll bash God and make you sad.
If I seem to regress.
Cuss I am so depressed.

Ohhh, It's just another bible bashing thread!

Sung to a minor key, as a funeral dirge.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

Forgive them, they are like children, for they know not what they do...

The only reason anyone bashes anyones spirituality or religion, is out of fear that the spiritual world is real; if they are wrong, what harm is being done in seeking truth/understanding and peace/love for all lifeforms?

God accepts everyone, no matter what dogma you choose to accept or deny. I didn't come from a religious background, I had no choice but to know God, he/she came to me, and through that, I have a scientific spirituality, and personally, it doesn't make scientific sense to knock something before you try it.

[edit on 4/25/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Um, if this is a Bible bashing thread, then you're basically saying you cannot question the bible. But it's human nature to ask questions. So how can asking questions about the bible be wrong?

I don't believe in the bible and it's not out of fear that it may be true. The people who are afraid the bible may be true are generally the people who follow the bible.

I'm not afraid of the bible, and i don't bash it. I ask logical questions about a text that WAS written BY man. There is no crime in that, not even in God's judgemental eye.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Why are we even discussing this? It is purely hypothetical. God did not write the bible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join