It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Under Siege: Will Pointed Questions Burst 'Bush Bubble'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

White House Under Siege: Will Pointed Questions Burst 'Bush Bubble'?

rawstory.com

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino fled from the briefing room on Wednesday after just eleven minutes, leaving more than one reporter frustrated and unable to ask a question. Although this was my fourth visit in a row in which Dana or her deputy Tony Fratto have refused to call on me (I went in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of last week as well), yesterday was the first time that other reporters were left hanging too.

------

I'm not sure why this time was different. Maybe she was rattled by Helen Thomas, who asked, more or less, the question I wasn't permitted to ask the previous Wednesday and Friday:

Q The President has said publicly several times, in two consecutive news conferences a few months ago, and you have said over and over again, we do not torture. Now he has admitted that he did sign off on torture, he did know about it. So how do you reconcile this credibility gap?

MS. PERINO: Helen, you're taking liberties with what the President said. The United States has not, is not torturing any detainees in the global war on terror. And General Hayden, amongst others, has spoken on Capitol Hill fully in this regard, and it is -- I'll leave it where it is. The President is accurate in saying what he said.

-------

...Q You're denying, in this room, that we torture and we have tortured?

MS. PERINO: Yes, I am denying that.

Helen then turned in her seat, looked at her colleagues, shook her head in disgust, and asked sadly: "Where is everybody? For God's sakes!"

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
WOW...De Ja Vu all over again...Whitehouse Press Secretaries lying right through their teeth and attempting to spew ridiculous propeganda, even when the very people THEY SERVE admit differently! Does the right hand even KNOW what the left hand is doing? Apparently not!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

She knows what she is doing. Her entire job is to deny wrongdoings and spin bad news. She is a propaganda machine. Basically, she is Baghdad bob with a pretty face.

Also, I don't think the occasional pointed question will be bursting any bubbles. Much larger scandals than this have been brushed aside and it has worked. If push comes to shove, we can just have another terrorist act happen. 9/11 managed to get the entire country to forget about the missing trillions from the pentagon budget, I don't see why they wouldn't use the same tactic again.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Helen then turned in her seat, looked at her colleagues, shook her head in disgust, and asked sadly: "Where is everybody? For God's sakes!"

She may not be the prettiest woman in the room, but I've always loved her for her bluntness and willingness to question authority... go get 'em, Helen!!

[edit on 4/25/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Indeed! In the land of bought and paid for corporate shills posing as "reporters", this little gal deserves HUGE respect! WHERE IS EVERYBODY INDEED!! All of the press have been cowards in going after these war criminals! They are co-conspirators in these atrocities by not putting this at the forefront!

[edit on 25-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Unfortunately, and it is seriously unfortunate, Helen Thomas is of a dying breed of reporters that can ask whatever they want and not worry as much about corporate news media telling her to stop. I watch her like a hawk because I have a feeling that down the road when she truly has nothing to lose, she will be the one asking harder hitting questions than we ever realized could happen.

Fortunately media is taking a bad turn whether they like it or not. The MSM as we know it is being cut back by bloggers and sites like ATS that are allowing the people to report, discuss, spin, and be heard. By the time they are ready to report their own public accusations of co-conspiratorial guilt, no one will be left to watch the garbage they incessantly try to pass off as news.

And that is going to be a very good day.

[edit on 4/25/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
She's old school, and she knows the ropes.

I wonder if Tony Snow had any cancer after all, i wish him well if he does, but i wouldnt be surprised that he just wanted OUT as fast as he learned the truth, the real truth of this administration. Never been seen or heard from again. I wonder.

Anyway, Helen, let them say you're feeble, if they like, you go girl!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Helen is a journalistic patriot whose worked her fingers to the bone asking the hard questions on ethics and morality.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Skydancer

Ditto, ditto and ditto!!

Thanks DD, for another great find!!

Bill O'Reilly, who (laughingly) refers to himself as a journalist, wants to see more of Hannah Montana's breasts (dirty old letch!)

Helen is a Saint(e)? in the world of journalism, and should be acclaimed as such!

WW

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Is there a way to contact Helen? If so, we should all write her a thank you note for being one of our last hopes in a totally corrupted media and reporting system...I hope she doesn't do as most americans have, and just throw her hands up in the air in frustration and give up.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

DD, does she work for UPI now? Or is she indepentendent.

Perhaps the WH Press Office can provide her contact info....LOL!!!

WW

CX

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Such a shame that no-one else backed her up with this.

In this day and age it takes guts to stand up and ask the questions so many are frightened to.

I wonder if Helen will have any restrictions placed on her in the future due to this, i mean as far as whether she can attend meetings or not? It really would'nt suprise me.

I was listening to a speech from Bush today on the WH lawn, it was live and when he had finished, someone who appeared to be from the group of journalists, shouted something about New Orleans. It sounded like the words "New Orleans" and "screwed over" were shouted.

Bush just smiled at everyone, ignored it and walked off.

CX.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not to attempt to derail any respect for Helen (because she obviously deserves the respect), but there's a website for We the People Foundation that is (and continues) asking the government (in its entirety) a lot of extrememly pointed questions about the corruption in government...All of the questions are in the form of petitions posted at the website.

No, I do not ask that any ATS members actually join or support or sign any petitions at the website because they are an activist organization...And I would be breaking the ToS here if I did. But I do ask that people at least make use of WTP for their excellent research & information-gathering capabilities.

I've found info there that points towards specific instances of government corruption & violations committed to the Constitution that I have trouble finding anywhere else...Even ATS sometimes. If nothing else, WTP can give excellent leads to researching various topics that you probably won't find anywhere in the MSM.

Another place I look at occasionally is Pushing Hamburger that seems, on the surface, to be more a a "rant-website," but the rants are right on target.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Actually a few days ago on CNN Wolf Blitzer welcomed Tony Snow on as an official CNN commentator/political contributor.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Is there a way to contact Helen? If so, we should all write her a thank you note for being one of our last hopes in a totally corrupted media and reporting system...I hope she doesn't do as most americans have, and just throw her hands up in the air in frustration and give up.

Is this our Helen? Here is a link to what appears to be a June 2007 article and with contact info at the bottom of the page at this link...

Helen Thomas: Will the real Hillary Clinton stand up?

Helen Thomas can be reached at 202-263-6400 or at the e-mail address hthomas@hearstdc.com

I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to call or email. Off to send one out...

[edit on 4/26/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well... it appears the above is Helen's email addy...

From my email to her w/reply (my addy 1/2 blocked *****)...

To: "'MB'"
Subject: RE: Thank You!!
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:20:33 -0400

Deeply grateful-helent

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:33 AM
To: hthomas@hearstdc.com
Subject: Thank You!!

After reading the article I found this email under, I'm guessing I've found the 'right' Helen Thomas. I chased that article down because of this I read...

"...Q You're denying, in this room, that we torture and we have tortured?

MS. PERINO: Yes, I am denying that.

Helen then turned in her seat, looked at her colleagues, shook her head in disgust, and asked sadly: "Where is everybody? For God's sakes!" "

... in this forum -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Awesome, Helen!! We are so sick of this administration and Congress sticking it to us and feeding us all the lies and deceit. There are some of us who are awake out here, Helen. We are with you. You know damn well most of your collegues are not on your/our side... they are all groomed from birth for these propaganda spewing positions they hold.

Go get 'em, Helen!! We're here!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It seems typical for this administration to say one thing, and somewhere down the road to say the opposite. This is the video of the conference, although, all of the videos that I have found do not include the last section where she states:

Is that section just audio?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Indeed! In the land of bought and paid for corporate shills posing as "reporters", this little gal deserves HUGE respect! WHERE IS EVERYBODY INDEED!! All of the press have been cowards in going after these war criminals! They are co-conspirators in these atrocities by not putting this at the forefront!

Nicely put! I like how you think...Good Job!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
[quote

Nicely put! I like how you think...Good Job!

Have you ever thought maybe they dont report on the "war criminals" not because they are cowards, but maybe because they dont have any solid evidence? Do you not think the majority of the Democratic Party would jump on a chance to impeach or expose his crimes...if there were any real crimes? I think that the assertion that global mainstream media is protecting George Bush is a tad bit of a stretch..

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexi Humi

This clip does not appear to run long enough at the end to provide enough time for anything she said afterwards to be heard on it. And possibly wasn't even picked up by audio, if the mic had been moved far enough from her. The comment was most likely reported by one of the other reporters near her.

top topics

join