It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 hours to troubleshoot my network! - ugghh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am just smart enough to be dangerous, so it was no surprise when I could not get my computer to talk to my router that I spent 8 hours over a couple days trying to figure it out.

I have had some problems in the past with Cat-5 cable (I make up my own to save $$), but nothing like this. Usually if I have a bad connection, it is because the end was not crimped properly or I might have a wire crossed on accident.

This was not the case.

The router had worked fine for a couple years, and although I am on a new network and modem, I have the configuration down to a fast procedure so I can browse the net with my caffeine fix in hand in no time. The fact is, I had the network up and running for a week or so, and then the moment I installed my permanent ethernet line, it quit working.

Usually, I can disconnect a cable, and reconnect it and the computer will reacquire the signal and settings, but not this time.

I made up several cables to try them out with no luck. Finally, I brought my whole rig down a flight of stairs and set it up next to the router and modem and other computer using factory made cables, and it worked perfectly. Then I switched it with my cable and it still worked great.

I thought I was done. I next ran my 'tested' cable back upstairs, through walls and floors, you name it - all 60 ft. of it. Then it still won't connect, but it just did before an hour of installing a permanent line.

Now I am frustrated and about to buy a wireless router.

After a couple days of thinking about this, I finally went online on the working computer and did some research.

I have always made my cables for the router as "straight through" cables. Each pin/color is the same on each end. To my mind, it made no difference of which color went where as long as the ends were the same, much like a telephone line - but that is where I was wrong.

Since the wires are twisted pairs, you must split one set of wires between pins 3 and 6 in order to stop interference in the signal over long distances.

On a short cable it probably won't matter, but over 60 ft, like I have you will definitely have problems.

Well, I learned something today. I still don't know it all, but I did learn one more thing than I did yesterday.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

O.K.

I buy my stuff from Best Buy. It's never failed me. I dont work on my own stuff because i dont know how, and if i did try, ....i'd be posting how it took me forever to fix it

I dont work on my own car, because i don't now how. I'd rather pay a mechanic to do it for me, so i know that it's getting done right, and if it does get messed up, then i know who to hold responsible, and there's still going to be chances for it to get fixed.

If i fixed it myself, i'd be walking to work every morning.

just this humble mans opinion though

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The one thing I have learned over the years is that the logical machines called "computers" work in an illogical way!

Network connections in particular seem to have a mind of their own completely divorced from the world of reason and common sense!

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I'm just very independent. I'd like to know what I am and am not capable of doing, so whenever I am in a bind I can do things for myself. Cars are the same way, and much more predictable than my computer knowledge, but I am learning.

Of course, I grew up in a garage, but didn't get into computers until 1995.

top topics

join