It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis Claim Secret Agreement With U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Israelis Claim Secret Agreement With U.S.

www.washingtonpost.com

A letter that President Bush personally delivered to then-Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon four years ago has emerged as a significant obstacle to the president's efforts to forge a peace deal between the Israelis and Palestinians during his last year in office.

Ehud Olmert, the current Israeli prime minister, said this week that Bush's letter gave the Jewish state permission to expand the West Bank settlements that it hopes to retain in a final peace deal, even though Bush's peace plan officially calls for a freeze of Israeli settlements across Palestinian territories on the West Bank. In an interview this week, Sharon's chief of staff, Dov Weissglas, said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reaffirmed this understanding in a secret agreement reached between Israel and the United States in the spring of 2005, just before Israel withdrew from Gaza.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The Israeli's say it's true, washington (SURPRISE!) denies it.

If true, it just shows how much of a joke any real hope for peace in the region is, with bush & co paying lip-service to one side, whilst making secret deals with the other.

Playing both sides of the fence is a dangerous game.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Real peace will NEVER be achieved in the Middle East. Neither side really wants it. Hamas/Hezbollah makes money preying off the fears of the innocents and the Israelis get battle hardened troops and US support.

Any time any leader acquiesces and really tries to arrange any sort of peace, that leader dies or is killed or is hospitalized.

War makes too much money for all parties involved.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

I have to agree with you. Peace in the Middle East is as big of a fairy tale as World Peace is. It isn't going to happen.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I wonder how more secret agreement has been done at the expenses of nations and their citizens lives including our own nation all at the back of the people in the nations in question and without anybody's consent.

But when the blood is needed to satiate the greed and the hidden agendas that plague our governments our sons and daughters becomes the unwilling blood supply.

Incredible how this crocked politicians plays with the lives of people.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Don't listen to what the Israelis are claiming. The letter never said about giving the green light.

Powell said that in 2004, he did not anticipate that Bush's letter would be perceived as a green light by Israel for adding to the settlements. "I consistently spoke against settlement growth, but as you know all I could do is talk against it," Powell said. "There would be no consequences and there still aren't."

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

In fairness, that's exactly what they would say if they were hiding something.

Whether they are or not isn't something we'll ever really know - it's the israeli's word against that of bush & co, but it seems to me that israel has little to gain by outing the letters "real" substance other than embarresing their allies, or perhaps floating a small false flag to justify their behaviour.

It's pretty clear though, that US policy supports israel no matter what they do.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thinking again about alliances - aren't they supposed to be a two way street?

I'm not altogether sure what the US gets out of it except for generating more enmity in the region by being israels ally.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I'm not altogether sure what the US gets out of it except for generating more enmity in the region by being israels ally.

That's how I feel. I have nothing against the jewish or palestinian communities. The fact of the matter is, Golan, Gaza, West Bank, etc... Those nutjobs over there won't ever stop bickering until they get back everything they had before the 1967 war... including Jerusalem.

Both societies have a rich culture which is interwoven with their religious views. I realize Israel is our "ally" but what do we really get from them but headaches? Is it wise (in the current global climate) to support such religious cultures / nation-states?

new topics

top topics

join