It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Gets Snubbed By India On Iran. Backs Off.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I thought the US of A was aware that India isn't a banana republic willing to be pushed around by it. It is an emerging power in its own right and jostling for super power space with China.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran is due to visit India next week. And that seems to have got the U.S goat! How can any country hob nob with America's arch enemy, Iran, the fountainhead of terror in U.S. eyes, without the prior consent and express permission of the world's only super power? Well, it seems the U.S. government got it wrong this time!

US State department deputy spokesman Tom Casey said the US expected India to tell the Iranian leader to suspend his country’s uranium enrichment activities in line with the demands of the UN Security Council.

Washington, he added, would also encourage Delhi to ask Tehran to “become a more responsible actor on the world stage” by ending its “rather unhelpful activities” regarding support for terrorism.

India responded by telling America it didn’t need “any guidance” on dealings with Iran. It said that both nations, were “perfectly capable of managing all aspects of their relationship with the appropriate degree of care and attention”. A terse statement by the foreign ministry spokesman said India and Iran were ancient civilizations whose relations spanned centuries.
www.telegraphindia.com...

Though India is concerned about regional instability in the event of Iran going nuclear, it seems the 'advice' given to India by the U.S. of A at this juncture was needless and insensitive, coming as it was, on the eve of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad visit.

As one Indian said, “Who are they to tell us? They may have an opinion but they cannot direct India to do their bidding!”

So, the U.S. gets snubbed by India today. Maybe Burkina Faso tomorrow!! Heck! Things ain't looking good, what?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Indo-Iranian links span not only centuries, but millenia. Genetically they are the closest populations to each other, and their fountain languages (sanskrit and avestan) are both remarkably similar. Despite their subjugation by the Islamic Revolution, Iranians/ Persians maintain close links to India and Indians.

The US- India relationship however started with the US supporting Pakistan, India's main enemy for over 50 years. In the 1971 war India was 6 days away from forcing the capitulation of Pakistan when the US intervened and threatened to halt food aid. It has only been with the recent civilian nuclear deal that the US has sought to ally with India.

Forgive me for such insolence, but does anyone else think that America fits the description of a fairweather friend?

Im not in the least bit surprised at the irritation of Indian officials. They are somewhat anxious to avoid being influenced even in part by an external power due to the 300 odd years of colonialism they suffered.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
India is definately becoming world power... its growing in very sense...

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown called India as a major partner in the G-8 or group of industrialized countries, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and the International Monetary Fund.

A Security Council without India cannot be a Security Council reflecting the reality of the day (and) a G8 that discusses the world economy without involving India cannot be a G-8 that is discussing all the details of what needs to be done in the world economy.

Link

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm indian

and im very sad to say that soon english will be the dominant language in India and Hindi and Punjabi will fall in the backshelves just like Sanskrit did.

The people want to stay indian, but the industry wants to westernize.

It truly saddens me.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I'm indian

and im very sad to say that soon english will be the dominant language in India and Hindi and Punjabi will fall in the backshelves just like Sanskrit did.

The people want to stay indian, but the industry wants to westernize.

It truly saddens me.

Not a chance mate.

Indians are incredibly rooted into the culture they are born into. They learn the languages of their parents by virtue of their birth.

I mean yes English is my first language; but I speak four other Indian languages fluently. This is the way it should be in my opinion. Business ready with English, but still remembering the heritage of their parents.

(Not sure what that has to do with the original post though)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

I mean yes English is my first language; but I speak four other Indian languages fluently. Business ready with English, but still remembering the heritage of their parents.

Ditto! English at the work place and I speak three Indian languages at home! Not to talk of the resulting confusion at times. Talking in Hindi to my Tamilian gardener or Tamil to my Hindi speaking cook!

Not sure what that has to do with the original post though.

Right. But what it all probably boils down to is the subtle Western influence in Indian culture due to globalization! But Indians can't be pushed around by anyone. They're too proud! And the sooner the West (Read, US of A) understands this, the better.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Hi Mike, my best man at my wedding is Indian and his family sold pots and pans in India and every time I would through away newspaper he would cringe. Because he said his country would recycle everything and they would use the newspaper to rap the pots and pans.

Now India is the sleeping Giant like China that has awoken and is a force to reckon with in the world. India has placed many engineers throughout the world and it is a tribute to their educational system. Many have gotten their education in England as well as the U.S. Rik Riley

[edit on 25-4-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
India is much better than China in my opinion and if it would eliminate the cast system, it would be the next light of the world, because the US no longer is, nor is any european country, that is unless the US people do a revolution.

I welcome our new indian overlords!

India have a lot of problems right now, but if it continues, in the future it could be the greatest nation on earth. With equal rights for everyone and honest people at the top... the new 1776's USA.

India face problems in the future, like water shortages, China and Pakistan going insane... too much people... but eh, they are humans, they can overcome those things.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Indians are incredibly rooted into the culture they are born into. They learn the languages of their parents by virtue of their birth.

Yes absolutely, but in my opinion bollywood controls India.

whatever is considered acceptable in bollywood movies, the people follow.

plus you are refering to a different generation, there are more and more english only shows.

Look at Coffee with Karan, it's one of the most popular shows and it's all in english, and more and more such english only shows are popping up.

Originally posted by mikesingh
Right. But what it all probably boils down to is the subtle Western influence in Indian culture due to globalization! But Indians can't be pushed around by anyone. They're too proud! And the sooner the West (Read, US of A) understands this, the better.
Cheers!

The sooner the US understands this the sooner they will invade.
Dick Cheney already wants to set up military bases in Kashmir, didn't you hear?

India is great, no doubt, but they need to have no trust in the US whatsoever. The IMF is already trying to privatize water is villages around india.

But understand this, america put Mussarraf in power in Pakistan, they can put someone in power in India down the line too.

top topics

join