It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Pump Prices Fueling Unique Gas Crimes In Central Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Gas thieves targeting Central Florida rental trucks and even hacking station pumps are the latest examples of a growing problem sparked by record fuel prices, according to officers.

Officers admit, with the price of gas, this is a growing problem, Local 6's Erick Webber reported.

Meanwhile, police are investigating an organized theft ring that used a never-before-seen device to hack gas station pumps and steal unlimited amounts of gasoline in Casselberry last week.

They have been doing this for years! Gas pumps have locks on the outside of them. You can simply keybump them with a BumpKey , then use electronic keypad inside to set the price of gas to $0.00, and PRESTO! No device needed. There are hundreds of manuals on how to reprogram the pumps via keypad from the internet. My guess is 80 to 90% of gas stations pump locks have the same keys (master keys) so that different companies and drivers all have easy access to the gaspumps.

Story and newscast video

Images of the Device

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, one could have easily expected a rise in fuel or gasoline related thefts.
With the phenomenal increase in the price of gasoline, these types of crimes should become quite prevalent. Personally, I expect hi-jackings of entire tanker trucks of gasoline to be a regular item on News Reports soon.

What I did find interesting about your post was the report of thefts made at the pump level itself. This, in my opinion, is only the tip of the iceberg as far as fuel related crime goes. I wouldn't be surprised to find armed guards become a regular fixture at gas stations

[edit on 4/24/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Agreed. When gas reach 5 dollars. People will get desperate and get gas my any means possible. The idea of armed security guards seem very plausible.

join