It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles 'is a Third World city'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Los Angeles 'is a Third World city'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Los Angeles is becoming a "Third World city" with immigrants making up half its workforce, says a new study. A third of immigrants have not graduated from high school and 60 per cent do not speak English fluently, the Migration Policy Institute found.

It said this left immigrants ill-equipped to fill California's fastest-growing occupations, such as computer software engineering and nursing. The organisation added that as the so-called baby boomers reach retirement age, a similar pattern will spread across the US.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
freerepublic.com
libertyjustincase.com

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what US members think of this article that has appeared in a British paper.

The article talks about a possible elite group being on high wages and the rest being on near bordline poverty pay, which may seem difficult to see and understand in our present times.

www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The article talks about a possible elite group being on high wages and the rest being on near bordline poverty pay, which may seem difficult to see and understand in our present times.
www.telegraph.co.uk

well there's a growing number of people that think that scenario is actually a real plan that's been in the making for quite a while and that you can now see the results of it starting to happen all around you.

what's surprising is the newspaper reporting it! they would be on the bosses' side normally.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I believe it is startling news really,
Just very suprising to read information like this in a mainstream paper. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'll continue researching into the subject matter.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Everytime I look it appears that another country/nation is always reporting something that our own internal papers never report. I find this interesting that a british paper would publish a story such as this. I like the thought of what one guy stated about the elitest being on top (If it hasn't already happened in some cities). Something to really look in to though.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You can add Miami and Houston to that list. Hell, throw in New Orleans now too as the majority of the construction crews post Katrina are illegal immigrants who have decided to stay.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The problem is that more cities in America are turning into death or overpopulated cities either due to mass migration or mass immigration.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I take your point, and a good one it is.

But could it not also be said that many british inner city area's are the same?

There are parts of london, birmingham and manchester where english is hardly spoken, and these people live below the poverty level.

Qualifier: It's probably the same in other cities, but I have no experience of them.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Close... but clarify mass illegal immigration. And anyone south of the border knows they can just come on thru.

So much for making this a safer country... so much for securing our borders and ports... hmmmm... where are all these "terrorists" that hate us so much, when they have free access to America thru our southern border? They surely wouldn't keep fighting in Iraq only.

If the threat was 'made-up' to begin with, I suspect it is no longer make-believe after the last 5 (?) years in Iraq, and now there is a REAL threat there... or possibly here. Ever here of 'sleeper cells'? Now... ever hear of a Trojan Horse? Chew on that for awhile...

[edit on 4/24/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yes isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black,if it were true there would be millions of jobs available in LA,but not true,think GB is mad we have sunshine and they don't

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The problem is that more cities in America are turning into death...

What does that mean exactly?
Turning into death? I don't get it.

-Lee

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I live in Los Angeles and yes...we truly are a world unto ourselves.

Seriously, I don't necessarily hold with the article because Los Angeles encompasses many surrounding cities(it's also a county). The article, in my opinion, is omitting this fact and exaggerating the immigration issue.

I have graduated high school....but living here is damn expensive. You almost have to be upper class to live comfortably...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I do agree, I think the article exaggerates quite a bit. For what cause, I don't know, I seriously hope it's not another planted call for closing the borders.

Every country has to deal with immigrants flowing in. It's not a problem, as they tend to pick up the jobs that we simply wouldn't or couldn't do ourselves. There are plenty of manual labor jobs that factories are having a hard time finding people to fill.

As for the suggested programming jobs that don't have people to fill them because of 'immigrants', thats just plain daft. Just because more people come into a country, doesn't make there less programmers in it. The authors assumption that the higher paying jobs can't find people because theres an influx of people from overseas, is just plain idiocy.

But, for the sake of it, lets talk down to the news authors level...
If you have 10 programmers,
and you add 30 manual laborers,
how many programmers do you have?

... thats right jimmy, you still have 10 ! You get an ice cream cone!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I believe it is startling news really,
Just very suprising to read information like this in a mainstream paper. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'll continue researching into the subject matter.

Nah.. not really..

Immigrants in America for as long as we have existed where dirt poor and filled the lowest jobs possible..

When the Italians, the Irish, the Germans all came over it was the same case, they founded their own cities, their own cultures in little pockets, and essentially lived the same life as back home in their poor homelands.

It was for their children that they came here and they went through American Schools, identified themselves as Americans first, Italian, German, Chinese, Irish, English, Indian, Persian second.. it has ALWAYS been this way.

The Mexicans, it is concerning.. the Mexicans I used to work with live here in America, have their kids in Mexico half the time, refuse to let their children learn English, hate blacks and don't trust whites and praise the Mexican government over the American government..

They had no ambition what so ever to assimilate, or let their kids assimilate..

They honest to God believe America is THEIR country, they they have a right to be here, and hate the "pigs" for "illegally" deporting them..

so those in LA, don't want to be American, the majority over identify with Mexico .. and few countries in the world can identify with our problem.. in fact, the ONLY country I can think of is Russia, who 2 weeks ago came to the conclusion that "Siberia and Eastern Russia is being conquered by China by default"

What does that mean?

It means Chinese culture, Chinese immigrants, illegal and legal are out growing the "native" and Russian populations enough that within a few decades China will be the vast majority, and that a severe risk of revolt to join China could occur.

Same thing for America mate..

Not all Mexicans are like this, I have met plenty that came here for a better life, truly moved here, despise Mexico but recognize it has Home like all us Americans even generations later identify with home.. but they learned English, even though illegally here, they went to College.. I respect those people, and I welcome them to our country.

They can wave their Mexican flag all they want imo, because I know that THEY are Americans first, Mexicans second. I know plenty of Americans who fly English and German flags with their American flag, I fly an Irish republic flag, and its no different for a Mexican immigrant to fly his flag..

As long as he recognizes America as his true home..

LA has such a massive population of Mexicans, that essentially Mexico took it over.. there is NO need to assimilate because the culture is Mexican. In that, lies the problem..

And it will grow..

I can only hope their children adopt America over Mexico ..

And I really, really wish America would spend billions upon billions building Mexico, establishing a new government and everything instead of wasting it on Arabs half a world away who don't like us anyways..

But it is what it is.

By the way, many, many big cities in America resemble the third world .. I could take pictures of my own city. Its a #hole as poverty takes over.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
While we are facing mass immigrations in states closes to the border, we are having problems with what used to be industrial cities dying out also.

Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and St. Louis This cities that onces were the capitals of industrial work force.

Urban decay is growing in America by the minute.

Top that with the problems of immigration and we are indeed turning into a third world country or what is call reversing into pre-industrial nation.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
You can add Miami and Houston to that list. Hell, throw in New Orleans now too as the majority of the construction crews post Katrina are illegal immigrants who have decided to stay.

Yes, and that's why Union scale in LA for heavy equipment operators (Davis-Bacon) is $5.85/hr, as opposed to national average wage of $28 or so. I know for a fact, that a major pipeline company is hiring laborers then selling them books to operate heavy equipment, thus shutting out experienced operating engineers, and the Unions are complicit.

Anyone who says this mass illegal immigration isn't affecting us is simply parroting what they've heard on Fox news, etc.

[edit on 4/24/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes, you are so right. I had to laugh when McSame gave a speech recently about free trade and outsourcing and how it is so great for the U.S., only he was literally standing in front of the industrial blight of a closed and dilapidated textile plant or someplace similar. Talk about irony.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The American media isn't widely reporting this purely because it isn't politically correct to "expose" what everyone living here already knows: mass immigration, both legal and illegal, is one of the main threats to this country that we currently face. The instant unemployment in this nation touches the 4% mark the borders should be closed and not reopened until our job market has become robust again and employers are actively facing difficulties finding workers. Then and only then should we even consider permitting more people to come in and handing out work visas, and even in that case we should have economic markers in place to decide if the economy as a whole would benefit from additional foreigners being allowed entry. Sorry, we're closed... please don't come again.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You are right about the "politically correct" taboo associated with talking about this subject. People always throw around terms like "diversity" and imply that just because you don't want to so drastically alter the landscape of the U.S. to something unrecognizable, that you must be inherently rascist. Most discussions invariably breakdown and become snarky. In the meantime, our country IS becoming unrecognizable and no one can even begin to define what it means to be American.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A related thread that ultimately broke down.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Interesting that I keep in touch with congress org. to ge the newest bills been proposed in congress.

Last week it was the bill and Debate on Immigration, H-1B Visas, to even imagine that our own congress is helping in killing the American workers in this nation.

The H-1b visas allow American companies to recruit large numbers of foreign skilled workers for less pay, about 65,000 are allowed a year, this are jobs that belongs to Americans.

I send a very nice letter telling how I feel about this outrageous legislation in favor of foreigners but no America skilled workers.

This is the nation we have today with politicians catering to private corporate interests, they get elected to serve everybody but us the American people.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join