It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix UFO mystery Solved

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Link To Video

I just saw this brief news clip where they try and sum of the lights on Monday. This is a joke right???

"A man in the area admitted to tying flares to a ballon, problem solved!!""

What?
What was this guys name?? What about the ones in Florida? Whas he there as well? This ones seems fishy!!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
seems to easy an explanation, woops....did some say occams. maybe they should have tied flares to that brazillian priest that took a ballon ride into the abyss.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hi kleverone. Been thinking about that myself. NV's gov came out with a costumed alien to make light of story days later. Then came back last year to say they were not of this world. They are falling short of legitimate excuses. Swamp gas, chinese lantern, lens flare, drugs, yada yada yada.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Is it possible that they are unrelated but are both of mundane origin?

If you consider the population of the States, then consider that there are only 365 nights in the year, the availability of prankster material, then the odds do get knocked down quite a bit

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Agreed Biggie Me. And quite possible. The size of the lights vidotaped and photographed seem to limit flare possibility. As the strangely forming symbols.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I suppose my biggest concern here is that they downplayed the situation...gave a 15 second segment and the end of the news....Didn't give any info on the supposed prankster what-so-ever. How about a name? Something? I'm not saying that it wasn't a prank but if you are going to present it as one, then have some evidence to back it up.

What is even more scary is how many people probably just closed the book on this case in their mind because of that little blurb.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Exactly kleverone. Tamp down the situation. Give it a monacle. And send it on its way. ufo 101.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I've found an article on Yahoo News:

1) The formation of the lights is consistent with independently moving objects, not fixed lights on an aircraft. They rose into the air together, stayed in more or less the same formation while in the same air currents, then drifted apart as they gained altitude. Also, the mysterious lights drifted toward the east-the same direction as the wind.

2) Air traffic controllers reported that nothing showed up on their radar. If the lights were the only visible part of a metallic spaceship or airplane, they would have been clearly on radar. However, "UFOs" consisting of small balloons, road flares, and some fishing line would be invisible to radar.

3) The way the lights disappeared also supports the hoax theory. They did not zoom away at high speed, as one might expect from an aircraft. Nor did they all suddenly and mysteriously disappear. Instead, eyewitnesses reported that the lights were visible for between 15 and 30 minutes, until they went out one by one. This is exactly the pattern we would expect to see from flares that were lit (and launched) in sequence: they would go up, remain lit for about 20 minutes, then first flare would extinguish. A minute or two later the second would burn out, and so on.

4) One of the hoaxer's neighbors, a Mr. Mailo, actually saw the hoaxer launch the helium balloons and flares. Mailo said the flares were lit about 8 p.m., just before the UFO lights were first sighted.
Thus the mysterious Phoenix Lights of 2008 are explained. Any object seen in the sky, especially at night, can be very difficult to identify, and it's no wonder that the lights puzzled many people. All that is needed to create a UFO sighting is one person who may not recognize a light or object in the sky. But just because people - even thousands of people - don't know what they are seeing doesn't mean that someone else (maybe a hoaxer), doesn't know exactly what it is.

Full article

See also
Man claims responsibility for Phoenix mystery lights

The explanation is plausible and also compatible with what we saw.
If this Mr Lino Mailo actually exists, then we can call him "witness".
But i see this one just like a possible explanation, or something more than a coincidence, more or less. IMHO we'd need something more to put the case to rest forever: hopefully the prankster will come clean with a video, some pictures or something like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Perhaps they didnt give the name of the hoaxer as half the population of ATS and Phoenix would be baying for blood on his door step?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos

The explanation is plausible and also compatible with what we saw.
If this Mr Lino Mailo actually exists, then we can call him "witness".
But i see this one just like a possible explanation, or something more than a coincidence, more or less. IMHO we'd need something more to put the case to rest forever: hopefully the prankster will come clean with a video, some pictures or something like that.

Thanks for getting that name for us Internos. I would happily accept this explanation if this man does indeed come forward. I would accept his testimoney just as I would in a UFO eyewitness case! I am just not a fan of running a 15 second clip without any follow up. Thanks again Internos!!

[edit on 24-4-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Haha nice one... Any news on that priest yet? Maybe some lights would have been helpfull

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

A thought crossed my mind. What if this hoaxter is a disgruntled, infantile or former, member of ATS, and the lights were designed to pull our collective chains regarding the promised "mass fly over"? Phoenix would have been the perfect place to fullfil this prophecy in part. The timing is close enough...

I hope I'm wrong, because it's an appalling thought that we might not only be dealing with countless attempts at CGI tomfoolery on Youtube etc., but with a new kind of deliberate fakery that will undermine and sidetrack real research.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Aparently the man is a Neighbor to the guy is supposedly did it. He won't be able to keep his identity hidden once people discover his address. Now we wait.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
How does this surprise you? From the first article that came out they mentioned they had seen a man tying flares to balloons. Perhaps this is the reason they picked up the news story to begin with. Make it look like this is the reason they don't really follow UFO stories since they're all just a big waste of time.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Heh, I also came across the article on the yahoo page. Kind of interesting, as yahoo never usually runs this stuff.

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
i believe the system (government) paid somebody off or maybe they lucked out and found someone that wanted their 15 minutes of fame

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
I suppose my biggest concern here is that they downplayed the situation...gave a 15 second segment and the end of the news....Didn't give any info on the supposed prankster what-so-ever. How about a name? Something? I'm not saying that it wasn't a prank but if you are going to present it as one, then have some evidence to back it up.

What is even more scary is how many people probably just closed the book on this case in their mind because of that little blurb.

My .02 - This is closed for me.. If you follow the footage, at the end you can see that the lights are"flickering" out one by one, not blinking - no reason to give it anymore air time - O and by the way I'm sure the authorities know who it is and he's not going to be to happy when they show up on his door step with the FAA in tow... C Ya'

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have to agree that this was in all likelihood just a copycat looking for attention. It is also probable that the lights here in Florida were the same although I doubt a coordinated effort was involved. Having said that, I wouldn't go so far as to say that these two alleged hoaxes disprove or lessen the impact and possibilities of the original Phoenix event! It is very difficult for me to think of these sightings as anything other than (ours) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled on the sky.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The case is far from closed. You can always come up with an excuse days after the fact especially with todays technology.

What the pseudoskeptic desires is an explanation that fits his pre-existing belief system. This video has to be examined by a professional not people saying it's this or that.

You can always find "consistent characteristics" with something if you give it enough time. What you will never here the pseudoskeptic talk about is the inconsistent characteristics. A truth seeker will look at both. If there isn't any characteristics inconsistent with lanterns or flares and this same situation can be reproduced then you have lanterns and flares. If there is characteristics inconsistent with these things then you don't.

You know people are not seeking the truth but they are seeking answers that satisfy what they already believe. This is why they are so quick to say case closed and lets move on. It's really silly and an affront to logic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join