It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are we supposed to know what all the laws are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I live in the U.S.A.
I suspect there are a bunch of laws being passed, and who knows how many are already on the books. I would like to know if there is a way for the average citizen to know if he/ she is breaking the law.
Anyone?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I wonder that myself, where the heck is any law posted so someone who does not know them, can find them, and even know they exist in the first place. I have seen a few law books, but as far as a lot of people know, they take it on faith.

I think there should be signs that say that there are laws we need to follow, otherwise, we shouldn't just expect people to know the many many laws there are. Also, the signs should tell us where the laws are written down.
(Buckle up, its the law, about the only sign i've seen with a law on it, oh yeah, no smoking, and no drinking and driving)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The simple answer is that we are NOT supposed to know what the laws are. If we did there would be a revolution.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I know I try and stay informed on my rights as a person and that is what makes my laws.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
My local library has law books where you can look laws up.

Or contact a lawyer.

For Federal laws (and local ones), try contacting the court house.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
"No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)"

Yea, sorry about that, here is a link:
www.khsltv.com...

edit on 3-1-2012 by hoppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I dont know myself but I can give an example-on another site moms were discussing children being sent to school sick and one said she would send cough drops with hers-but in my daughters district cough drops are a drug and if they are caught with them its treated the same as if it were crack-the student is expelled and referred to juvenile authorities . Most people wouldnt consider that but its in the handbook-at least we have that. I reckon you can find criminal code online but otherwise I dont know. Anyhow the woman had no clue that cough drops are considered drugs so it was lucky that she was in that conversation.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
I wonder that myself, where the heck is any law posted so someone who does not know them, can find them, and even know they exist in the first place. I have seen a few law books, but as far as a lot of people know, they take it on faith.

I think there should be signs that say that there are laws we need to follow, otherwise, we shouldn't just expect people to know the many many laws there are. Also, the signs should tell us where the laws are written down.
(Buckle up, its the law, about the only sign i've seen with a law on it, oh yeah, no smoking, and no drinking and driving)

Most countries have legislation and case law archived at government institutions, library's and now online. None are expected to know all the law, the reason that ignorance is no excuse is to prevent it being used as a defense. Although there is much law and much of it is complex it is common sense only that exact situations and severity must be defined. fe for a crime to be committed it must not only be shown that the defendant committed the actual act, but done it with a level of intent, indirect intent, recklessly or negligently.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
We are not supposed to know what the laws are until we break them, that's the way TPTB want things. However all states have their statutes available online through their respective government website. It may take some time to find them listed but they are there and usually the state constitution is available as well. Do a web search for '"your state" statutes' or ''your state" laws' and you will find them. Federal laws can be found by doing a web search for "United States Code" or "US General Laws", also the website for congress will list any proposed bills or bills waiting to be signed into law, same goes for your state legislatures.

An interesting note to ad to this is that in 2012 there were over 40,000 new laws enacted throughout the US. Now do you really still believe you are free? That's 40,000 new classes of criminal that the government can exercise their control over via fines, probation, or imprisonment. America, land of the free my butt, you are free to do as they say and free to go to jail if you do not comply.

Over 40,000 new laws enacted in 2012

Cornell Law School, United States Code by chapter

top topics

join