It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contaminated blood thinner from China is in 11 countries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Contaminated blood thinner from China is in 11 countries

www.interndaily.com

by Staff Writers
New York (AFP) April 22, 2008
A contaminated blood thinner from China linked to 81 deaths in the United States is present in drug supplies in 11 countries, the New York Times said Tuesday, citing federal regulators.

The US Food and Drug Administration Monday sent a warning letter to Changzhou SPL, the Chinese plant identified as the source of contaminated heparin sold by Baxter International in the United States, the Times said.

In its letter the FDA said the plant used unclean tanks to make heparin, accepted raw materials from an unacceptable vendor and had no way to remove impurities, according to the Times.

The FDA has identified 12 Chinese companies that have supplied contaminated heparin to Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand and the United States, the report said.

But it does not know the original source of the contamination or where it entered the supply chain, the Times said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Pardon my French but Jesusbloodychrist I swear isn't there anything China sells thats not messed up somehow?

In all reality however, ya want dirt cheap labor and low prices... what do you expect?

www.interndaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Forgive the conspiratist in me. But these incidents are becoming more and more common. Lead paint in toys. Tainted heparin. Backdoor terrorism? Or simple mistakes?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Its what happens if there is little if any regulatory oversight... if corners can be cut they will. Yes its deliberate but not part of some conspiracy... just business as usual.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This sort of thing is reminding me more and more of a book I read years ago
written by Frederik Pohl entitled "The Cool War", it''s been many years since I read it and I want to find it again and give it another read (I gave my old copy away to someone I thought ought to read it).
The plotline always struck me as strongly likely and included such things as a trade delegation going abroad with members infected with a virulent strain of flu , the U.S.S.R. exporting cheap vodka to the west to impact the economy with workers productivity being lost to hangovers and infecting foreign nations livestock with diseases such as foot and mouth. It's possible reading this book ultimately ended up with me joining this site. It's fiction but it struck a chord with me even if it was written in 1980.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Related..
Tainted (China)Drugs Put Focus on the FDA

They've known about it for a year.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This hits a little to close to home. My Mom was recently in the hospital for heart problems and she was on a heparin drip. They had trouble getting the blood thinners regulated in her blood stream when they started to switch her to pill form (coumidin) blood thinners. She had to stay an extra 4 days in the hospital because of this. Even then she had to give herself injections of blood thinners at home for several days.

Now I wonder if all the problems switching her to pill form was because of tainted blood thinners. I suppose the outcome could have been significantly worse.

When I was a lab director, our lab was regularly audited be the Department of Health, granted this was an environmental lab. However I had to have everything in line. I had to show that equipment was functioning properly. I had to show the calibration logs for the equipment and I had to show all of my quality control. They were surprise visits, no cutting any corners (not that I would to begin with.)

So I ask you where are all the checks & balances? Where is the quality control? This is ridiculous! Great of China to help the US go downhill, while they have a dangerous disregard for the environment and peoples health because they are a "developing country."

Sorry for the rant.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't think that I'm comfortable buying drugs that are manufactured in China.

The FDA should draw the line right now on this issue.

Golf clubs, computers, watches, etc., are fine, but just the idea of buying medicines made in China makes me sick.

Those folks aren't that trustworthy.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yeah its pretty disturbing. I am due to have surgery later this year (knee replacement) and while they don't use this drug for things like that it is enough to give one pause...

... BTW Grady its not you buying drugs made in China thats a cause for concern, its the hospitals.... every time I go up to the VA hospital and get my meds they are from a different company (the cheapest) and that always makes me a bit nervous.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
China does this on purpose to kill US citizens and further disrupt and degrade the economy. All this stuff is costing the US big dollars when discovering tainted goods.

You'll see an increase as China's attack on Taiwan comes into view.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Thats total nonsense... they benefit far more from a fat, docile buying America than a frightened one thats for sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Aiy, did you know that the President of China met the upcoming Vice-President of Taiwan in an economic summit. If one does not know, people would have thought they were buddies for years. Next is seeing the newly elected Taiwanese President to visit with his Vice-President Hong Kong

And China would benefit far greater from maintaining a good relation with USA, why would you kill off your biggest customer?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Taiwan will boost their economy bigtime. China doesn't care about America. China is only using America to build up economically to self-sufficiency. Once self-sufficient (and dealing the cards) starting with a 220 billion trade imbalance in China's favor, you will see China slowly phasing out America and become the World's number one economy. This is their goal and they are Communist, not Capitalist, though simiulating a Western economy to achieve Western economic wealth.

You would have to be ignorant, stupid or one in the same to not know that China has its own agenda in displacing the USA, first in Asia. From contaminating Toys, Fish, Chicken, Blood Thinner, Pet Food etc. is much more than accidental coincidence.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
China isn't the only country I'd be worried about purchasing drugs from. Remember all the ruckus back in 2004 over the Flu Vaccine made in England at the Chiron plant?

LINK

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
reply to post by jetxnet

And China would benefit far greater from maintaining a good relation with USA, why would you kill off your biggest customer?

OK. Then why is China exporting all these contaminated products - baby products, pet food, and now drugs? Is it poor quality control, or is that life is cheaper there due to so many people that, lose a few and who cares?

Oh, I see you answered my question(s) while I was typing. Too bad the softies here will continue to roll over and play dead (until they really are dead) while china plays its game.

[edit on 4/23/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It's easy to figure that China has some nefarious intent, but frankly, I think that at this stage, China doesn't have the level of government oversight that we have in the US.

Without regulation, manufacturers will take short cuts to maximize profits, or will just fall victim to gross negligence and incompetence because there is no one really minding the shop.

On the whole it's not in China's interest to create fear and loathing in their markets. They want a piece of the good life, too.

In the long haul, China might have plans to gobble up America, but if they destroy faith in their production quality, manufacturing just might move back to the US and China will be left holding the bag.

That's the way free markets work.

While it is true that production problems can occur almost anywhere, I still am not comfortable taking meds produced in China and I'm going to be asking some serious questions about where my meds come from.

[edit on 2008/4/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

OK. Then why is China exporting all these contaminated products - baby products, pet food, and now drugs? Is it poor quality control, or is that life is cheaper there due to so many people that, lose a few and who cares?

I guess you might have read the other thread. And GradyPhilpott gave my answer to you already.

I would even go further as that the Chinese Central government is usually helpless in regulating every single layer in this immense country. In China we face a huge governing problem with too much corrupted officials. The only thing the Central government can do is to impose severe punishments and put fear in the local governments and regulating instutitions, that's why the death penalty was given to the senior official for food and drugs regulator came very quick and unusual, in Chinese we have a saying "Kill one Fear a Hundred." But seems like still too many are willing to take the risks of losing their precious life for a quick buck here and there.
China Quick to Execute Drug Official

My opinion is that the factory itself and the customer are the final responsible for deliverying good quality products. But too often you see incapable, unqualified greedy business men and investors trying to cut corners and make quick money. I have little experience in the medicine and healthcare industry, just have good friends in the food and beverage ones. And had the chance to visit several ones. I can tell you that the factories aiming at exporting have quite neat facilities. One problem, OVER-RUNS. These are usually "urgent" production that is exceeding a factory's production capacity, which will cause these factories to outsource the so-called over-runs to another smaller factory. You can be guaranteed that these over-run productions are of worse quality than the main plant. Now, there are cases that the factory will lie upon to the customer and only let the Customer's inspection team to Quality Control the main factory's line. But in most cases the customer is well aware of these over-run production, and usually accept it because of the time-pressure and costprice budget.

A self-respecting brand or importer, especially for high-end technology and medicine products should spend a little bit more and put their OWN people supervising the production lines. This will increase costprice, but guarantee your quality. Hey if APPLE can do that with putting their own people next to the Iphone or Ipods production lines, or Nintendo having their own production manager in the OEM factory, AND still sell so good because of the Quality, then why the other customers can not?

Well, we are dealing with GREEDY business people and investors demanding quick and big ROI. For my part give the death penalty to the factory owner and other responsible ones, if because of their production a infant is dying somewhere overseas and don't only scapegoat the head of a food and drug regulating body....

(EDIT: Just noticed this amended part of this NY times article:

Correction: July 18, 2007
An article in Business Day last Wednesday about China’s execution of a former food and drug regulator for taking bribes referred incorrectly to pet food that led to the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States. The ingredients came from China; the pet food itself was not “Chinese-made.” (It was produced in the United States.)
Nonethless we should be more stricter and perceive a zero-tolerance against quality issues.

[edit on 24/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
This issue is also very near to me. I pushed 1000 unit heparin and 10000 unit hep locks in catheters for over 22 yrs in dialysis. I would be extrememly worried and concerned the heparin I was giving was defective. Baxter outsourcing heparin supply to China. Fresenius outsourcing bloodline manufacture to Mexico all began right after NAFTA. Why pay an American a living wage to produce goods when it can be done for pennys on the sorry dollar. This is exactly why.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The moment there is even a single outbreak of deaths relating to any Chinese product - we should ban the manufacturer from selling any of there product line in the Western world.

If they don't care about killing people, then they do not deserve our money. Ban there goods.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
China isn't the only country I'd be worried about purchasing drugs from. Remember all the ruckus back in 2004 over the Flu Vaccine made in England at the Chiron plant?

LINK

So you'd rather we hadn't invented penicillin?

Don't be an idiot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join