It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calorie Intake Before Conception May Mean the Difference Between Boys and Girls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Calorie Intake Before Conception May Mean the Difference Between Boys and Girls.

www.nature.com

The sex of new babies is influenced by the mother's diet before she conceives, a new study suggests. According to a survey of 740 British mums to be, a high-calorie diet is more likely to lead to a baby boy in nine months' time.

Researchers led by Fiona Mathews of the University of Exeter collected data on the pre-conception dietary habits of pregnant women, and found that 56% of women in the highest one-third of calorie intake had male fetuses. In the lowest third, only 45% bore boys.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.medicalnewstoday.com
www.cbsnews.com
www.canada.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I can hardly believe an article like this got into a website like Nature.com!

I believe they better start doing a more broader "statistical" research before claiming something like this! And not only that, but "statistically", there is only a "statistical" proof because of a difference of 5% or 10% margin? Not only that, the research showed that it was ALWAYS only 5 or 6 points away from 50%/50%.

And what about all the women in third countries who have very little to eat, and eat the same thing and the same amount of food day after day after day?

According to this "statistical" study, all those women should have given birth to the same sex babies.

www.nature.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/4/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i was about to say the same thing. seems odd that a 5-10% difference is significant enough to announce something like this.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The mother's diet is scientifically insignificant in chosing the sex of the baby. It has entirely to do with the male sperm, be it an 'X' sperm or a 'Y' sperm. The only "control" the woman has over the sex centers around exactly when the egg is ready to become fertilized in relation to the act of intercourse. 'Y' sperm (that obviously produce little boys) are faster swimmers but die quicker than the slower swimming but longer lived 'X' sperm. So it's entirely a matter of ovulation and optimal fertilization time & conditions in comparison to the actual act of intercourse.

...and I just succeeded in making sex sound about as romantic as half burnt toast...

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That's not what the study is about. The potential implication here is that blood sugar levels could influence whether or not male zygotes successfully implant in the uterine wall. Implantation is tricky so it wouldn't surprise me if small changes in physiology affect it. Their logic is higher sugar means more available food so producing more males increases population and genetic diversity. Makes sense given they observed a wider margin among women who ate breakfast. If food is scarce it will be hunted and gathered daily meaning availability of breakfast is less likely. If the body gets to eat first thing in the morning that could mean there is plenty of food available for hungry men to eat.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have always had a high sugar diet..
got me 5 boys and 3 girls.
YOU figure that out.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
...and I just succeeded in making sex sound about as romantic as half burnt toast...

LOL!!! I love that statement. That was the highlight of my morning.

AccessDenied you have 8 kids?? My goodness you must have your hands full!

Well, I fall more to the side of "it could go either way". Its a 50/50. I dont believe anything we do can really alter the sex of the baby....but then again, I don't know a whole lot about genetics. From what I know though, having sex in a certain postion (doesn't affect the sex of the baby)...So Im not too sure that food could contribute to the sex of the baby.

But anything is possible.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
4 boys and one girl, I can say my caloric intake was not what predetermined their sex, but I do wonder if the position had anything to do with it?

new topics

top topics

join